Morehouse College

« See more reviews of Morehouse College

I would definitely make geographical location and surroundings, campus size, and population important factors to consider. Though we sometimes choose colleges based on financial assistance, the 4 or 5 college years are an important transitional stage in our lives, and we should be as comfortable in our enviornment as possible. For many of us, it is our first experience away from home without parental supervision or advicce an earshot away. Socially, I have always been comfortable with who I am and the choices I make morally, so I would say to stay true to that person. Consciously work on personal growth. Have fun, but do not succumb to peer pressure just because you are "on your own". Remember to set short term goals so you can see steady growth academically, socially and in personal maturation over these college years. I definitely recommend getting help from teachers, tutors or study groups as soon as you find yourself struggling in a class. You may want to take on the challenge yourself, thinking "I got this", but it will only hurt you in the long run. Use everything your campus has to offer. Embrace this once in a lifetime experience!

From the perspective of a sophomore at a private historically black college, I would encourage parents and students to spend several months researching colleges or universities of their interests. The best way to do this can include making use of online resources such as school websites, reading comparative analyses of colleges in books by Thomson Peterson or Kaplan, and if possible, making campus visits. By taking time to research and visit these schools, you put yourself in a better situation to choose the best college for you according to your academic, social, and/or spiritual interests. Once you enroll in college, you must realize that while you are on your own and away from home, it is solely up to you to stay focused with classes and not allow life's distractions such as peer pressure to pull you out of college. Thus, it is important that you establish a balance between your academic, social, and spiritual life because this is what will determine your overall success in college. This balance can be made quite easy by not only establishing a network with college officials, but also by making your net work for you in whatever way you see fit.

Kevin, do you remember the many conversations we had in 2007 about going to college? The transition from high school to college is not easy, and although you are a star athlete, and a good student, college is going to be a lot more demanding of your time. I suggest you learn the principles of time management, improve your study habits, and most important, improve your writing skills. You have great social skills, but all play and a little bit of work will not get you through that first year at Morehouse. Get your resume done, take a couple of challenging classes this year, and get involved in community service. The good times and the girls will come if you take care of your business first. Talk to Terrence, he just finished his first year at "The House." It is all about taking the initiative , treating your school like a business, and developing a relationship and rapport with your teachers. Most important, STUDY.....READ.....STUDY....and STUDY! Kevin, you have all the potential in the world. It is time to untap that potential and convert it to the greatest success story ever. Kevin A. Jones...Deans list, Morehouse College! Yeah!

Dear Jared, As you prepare to graduate from Waddell High School and begin your matriculation through Morehouse College there are a few things to advise you about. First, do everything you can to get a 4.0 in the first and second semester. Don’t wait until you get into your major classes before you begin to take college seriously. Because your GPA will be cumulative over the course of the four years, it is imperative that you have a strong GPA in order to better position yourself for internship and job opportunities. Another thing that is essential to making the transition is researching and applying for every scholarship that you can possibly apply for. Don’t depend on your parents and students loans to cover all your costs. There will always be something else to pay for during your matriculation that a scholarship can assist in covering. Last but certainly not least, get involved on campus immediately! Getting involved in clubs and organizations is a great way to meet new people and network. You never know, getting involved could lead to job opportunities or even be a means by which you meet your future wife.

I would advise myself to establish a general, reachable goal and to not hesitate to achieve that goal. No matter what my objective may be, it is always good practice to assess my determination. My college experience so far has helped me realize that I am able to achieve anything I want to if I apply my self in a responsible way. Setting small goals for myself such as talking to my professors about grades and opportunities, joining a certain club, and performing community service are useful ways to stay productive. I noticed that I have developed a better capability of focusing by narrowing down my objectives each day. I would also advise myself to do everything with a self purpose in mind. In high school, I had maintained a habit of making choices in order to please my family, friends, and community. College has made me realize that disappointing others does not matter as much as disappointing myself. Therefore, I have made decisions that I know will benefit my persuit of a degree at Morehouse College. I have successfully learned to listen to myself before I let other people influence what I want to achieve.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would encourage myself to have worked harder in all classes to boost GPA and apply for more scholarships, and be a more proactive person in the transition from high school to college; this would include, following through with financial aid and being aware of financial obligations, as well as understanding class transfer credits. Knowing the limitations placed on time and constraints of scheduling, I would inform myself that there is a lot of class time that I could have skipped and explain to myself the advantages of starting ahead of most incoming students. I also became involved with Japanese foreign language this fall semester and if I had the chance to go back and talk to myself I would encourage taking another Japanese course, and studying during the summer so that I could have started the class on a higher level. Overall my advice would help me get ahead of the ?game? and make the transition from high school to college much easier. But I say this knowing that all I have gone through has been a learning experience and I appreciate all of my experiences.

The first step is to understand what it is that you are looking for in a college and to understand what it is you need from your college experience. Before entering Morehouse College, I had very little exposure as a man of color to other men of color. Additionally I could be qualified under the category of generally irresponsible. I knew that I needed to address both of those particular areas. Once I knew what I wanted and needed from my college experience the choice became abundantly clear. This first step is pivotal to positioning yourself at the best school to maximize your college experience. The next step is to be active in the campus life at your selected institution. When you arrive, you won't have the faintest inkling about which way to go. Becoming involved with campus activities early will help you to gain an understanding of what it is you wish to do and where you wish to end up. Being active on your campus will also open you up to an entirely new network of friends who will undoubtedly make your time there exceedingly enjoyable. Follow this simple advice and you'll love your college expereince.

I would advice myself to manage my time more efficiently by keeping a planner of all of my classes and extra-curricular activities. I would inform my high school self that in college you have more time during the day to get complete tasks. Unlike high school, you can rest between classes and leave to your room to retrieve books or whatever you forgot for class. I would tell myself to create a template of a planned out day, using all 24 hours. This includes a set amount of time and schedule for sleep, hygiene, class, eating, social time, homework and other activities. Following a planner organizes your day and prevents procrastination on homework, causing you to stay ahead, while reminding you when events are so you are always aware of what is going on. College students get distracted easily because they do not manage their time wisely, thus them “cramming” for exams and coming late to class. With a planner you will not worry about what you have to do because it is already written out for you. A planner will assist you to be very organized and a high-performing student who still enjoys the college life.

Undoubtedly, the skinny, 17 year old Kyle Jacob would be ecstatic to see a slightly taller Kyle Jacob who looks much older due to the stress of his first semester at Morehouse College. He would be excited that in nine months, his tufts of chin hair would evolve into a full beard that needed constant shaving. Im almost certain he would have many questions I couldnt answer, 18 year old Kyle has many priorities at Morehouse and little time to waste. "Listen closely", I would tell him, although I wouldnt need to, even the Kyle of today listens intently to a man trying to educate. "Focus" I would say. In highschool, many things deterred my focus as a student. With my 20/20 view on the past, I would break down our vices; girls, television and facebook. He would learn that by reducing the time spent on these things, it would clear up his schedule for more productive purposes, like scholarships. I would let him know that know that Morehouse is struggling financially and even if he did well, there was no guarantee that the school would be able to aid him financially. "Do scholarships for an hour a day".

First off, begin narrowing down your college choices. Consider important things like if they have your major, number of students who get a job six months after graduating, teacher to student ratio, internship opportunuties, scholarships given,etc. As you will see, all these things matter to help benefit you in the long run. Not if its a party school or if your friends and girlfriends are going there. Secondly, start doing more with your self so you will be adapted by the time college comes around. Do community service, start your own programs, get a job and save up for college, or get into some school clubs and organizations. These things will help you learn about time management in college which is a big plus if you know a thing or two about. They also will look good on your application when applying for college. Colleges do not just look at your grades, but they also see if you were involved and doing positive activities in your free time. Lastly, take a little time out of each and every day to fill out scholarships online. There are so many scholarships out there for all students not to do this.