Morningside College Top Questions

Had I the chance to talk to myself, with ten extra years of experience and wisdom, I would tell myself that I deserve better than I think. I deserve self-respect, and that comes with demanding the respect of others as well. I deserve to respect myself enough to give myself a real chance, and to cut toxic people out from my life. I deserve to have the best possible education, and the tools and foresight to make the most of what I have. I would tell myself that life is hard, and school is hard, but if you give it your best it becomes easier and even pleasant. Just because things are difficult doesn't mean they're impossible, it means that they're worth more when you do get through it. Just because you have problems doesn't mean that they're unsolveable, you just have to look a little harder. If life was easy, there'd be no real point. Most of all though, I'd tell myself to believe in myself. My biggest aspiration when I was little was to become a biologist, and there's no reason I should let anything stop me.

Go to class. It is easy to skip and fall behind. You are paying to be in class, so the more you skip the more money you are wasting.

If I could tell myself about college and what it would be like, I think the one thing I would tell myself is, your dorm room is tiny. Remember that even though you'll be living there all year, you'll enjoy your room much more if you can actually live in it. Thats hard to do if it is full of all your stuff in the way.

If I could go back, I would definitely have a lot of advice for myself. First of all, the guidance counselor at my school was strongly opposed to friends going to school together because it would 'hinder our experience'. Now that I have completed a semester at a college where I knew nobody, I would tell myself not to take her advice. The second thing I would tell myself is what everyone was already telling me - I need to work on scholarships. I knew how important they were, but I still didn't work hard on them. I regret that decision to this day. Lastly, I would just tell myself to enjoy the remaining time I have left with my family and friends before everything changes. I did try my best to do that, but I never fully understood just how much everything was going to change - everybody moved in a different direction, and things are not the same. Even without that advice, though, I believe I did a pretty good job with my senior year.

Yana

If I could go back in time and talk to high school me I would suggest getting more active in researching information on various colleges and universities. I would also tell myself to get more involved in the community by volunteering at the downtown public library, animal shelters, and even some of the elementary schools. I yearn to be an elementary school teacher and I would have told myself to spend more time volunteering in schools as I’d done previously in the 4J summer school program. In addition, I’d recommend finding a job to support myself after high school and save money for future college expenses. Most of all though, I would tell myself to take the wonderful opportunity to research various high school scholarships and apply for them as well as grants prior to attending college in order to be more financially ready for it. Being dependent solely on financial aid, any scholarships researched and applied for early on would have been extremely helpful now. I would tell myself that there are many great opportunities for me even while I am still finishing high school that I can benefit from throughout my college and university years.

Gilbert

I’d talk about the fun I’ve had, the dreams come true, and the lessons I’ve learned if I could ever go back in time and talk to my high school senior self. I would share that there will be times that you won’t know what to do or where to go and life will seem very confusing, but don’t be anxious. You will make great friends and create wonderful memories! You will accomplish things that you never believed possible and fail at things you never thought you would! Believe in yourself! Know that you will have bruises from paintball games, ride a borrowed bike in a triathlon, and stand on a mountain in Colorado. Know that you will learn to put all your valuables in your dorm room and to use your meal plan on campus as much as possible. Know that you will push yourself when running Dimmit Hill or during a swim competition in the pool. Know that you will be feed during your quiet times with Jesus, long talks on the phone with family, and while singing that special song. Above all else, let loose and don’t forget your snow boots!

This is an question that I ask myself daily. For starters I would have focused more on obtaining scholarship information, I would prepare financially for school. I did not expect this many expenses in school, which more than my imcome. There are things that parents could not teach me and prepare for me before college because they did not have financial means. I would have also educated myself more in writing, because now I know the purpose of research papers and the difficulty it can incur. The main thing I would instill in myself is that it is never too early to prepare yourself and set goals, your present can be an effect from your past, but what you do your present will impact your future. You can never study enough and read ahead, it will not hurt you, it can only help you.

DONT GO TO MORNINGSIDE!!!!! You are going to want to transfer to USD, so just go there in the first place. It'll be a lot cheaper, so you won't have to worry about paying $16,000 a year for the next three years. Also, work a little harder, and try to do a little more work through WIT, so you have more of your college done for free.

MaShelle

I would tell myself to be open to new things. Don't get caught up in the drama and worrying about what your friends are doing and going. Worry about yourself and your future. Your friends aren't always going to be there. They can't make your future for you. You need to be your own individual and do what you think is best for you and not what your friends think is best for you. Also teachers in high school stress how you will have no time to do anything, but you really do. Don't stress about that. Also don't worry about your roommate because if you have a problem the resident advisor on your floor will help and if you need to you can always switch rooms. Everything will work out the way it is supposed to, and whatever decision you make will be the right one for you and your personality. Just remember to focus on you and not everyone else. You have to be comfortable with your decisions and follow what you believe is the best thing for your life. Don't let others dictate what you do. Just be YOU!

The advice I'd give to my high school self is do good in school!! It's really hard slacking off in high school then going to college where the teachers are a lot more strict. Learn to NOT procrastinate and get into good study habits. Get into the habit of finishing all your homework and projects early. You may might to slack off because you want to socialize with your friends, but getting it done early makes you feel a lot better because you won't have that assignment hanging over your head all weekend. Trust me when I say you will have many late nights where you wait till the last minute to do your work and the printer will run out of ink or paper and you'll end up turning it in late (and it happens more than once). Also, stay true to yourself. Don't do things to please other people. Do what you want to do and enjoy being young while you can. Once you turn eighteen, you have to grow up and be an adult.

Daltynn

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to have taken so many easy classes. I'd say to myself to keep challenging yourself as much as possible and pay attention to everything your teachers are putting in front of you, becuase that's what the professors in college are going to do. I'd also tell myself not to worry so much about the small things because once you're out of that small town everything just seems to dissappear and only the things that really matter will follow you into college.

Carissa

College isn't about flash card memorization, diagrams and note-taking. Sure, they're helpful to earn a good grade or to gain a knowledge of the subject matter, but that's not the reason I go to college. My college experience is about learning how to think, and discovering what my passions are. Classes like philosophy and ethics have taught me to how to form my own opinions and think for myself. Jumping on the bandwagon doesn't cut it in college. After all, how am I going to take a stand for what I believe in my future if I don't figure out exactly what and why I believe now? In college, I have also developed an ever-strengthening love for language. I'm passionate about piecing letters and words together to form something beautiful in English and Spanish because I have ideas that are special and unique, and I want the world to hear them. To me, college isn't about how many terms I memorize or how well I score on tests. It's about preparing to passionately head into my future with a brain full of unique, creative, and logical ideas.

Nancy

My college experience, so far, has been one of many new and exciting experiences. Coming from a very small town in Nebraska, going away for college can be a very daunting task. Morningside was the perfect place for me. It is not to large, so I am able to know all of my professors personally. But Morningside is also not to small, so I have might a variety of different people. College, I believe is very valuable to my future oppurtunities. Even though I am still only a freshman in college, I have already learned many skills that will be valuable to succeed in my prospective career path. Such examples are learning how to communicate with diverse groups of people and being able to manage many different oppurtunities at once. Morningside has given me the oppurtunity to meet people from a variety of different places: from other small towns in America to International students from China. I am already so grateful for my college oppurtunities for I know that if I continue on the path I am on now at Morningside, my future will have no limitations.

College has taught me that many people lack an education that is easily obtained. I know that my life will be better after graduation and that I will be better prepared to provide for me and my family.

Marishia

Well as of now I am enrolled in a local community college (TriC) inorder to recieve college credits to transfer to EMU. So far I have gained some skills that I believe will be critical when I actually go off to college in the winter. Through this experience I've learned to be more responsible, observant, and prompt. I first went in thinking that it was going to be like a big highschool but boy was i wrong. There are no bells, no make-up test, and no extra credit. It is up to me to be where I need to be and to complete the work as assigned. Its has been a valuable to attend not only to get credits for college but to get a taste of how it is in the real world. Through this experience I believe that I will be going into my 4 year university with a realistic outlook on things and I will also know what to expect.

During my college experice I have grown socially, mentally, phisically , and emotionally. My college experience is making me a better person than I was before & I value this. I also value my education because it will give me a better chance at a finacially stable future. I will be able to support my family in the future with a valuable education. Attending college will provide a better future & I think everyone should attend some type of college.

It has been a short experience to date, but I have learned that everyone around me has their own set of values and fears/concerns. The social pressures are less than in high school. The school is very concerned about freshman getting the best experience possible and they do many activities an sessions to prepare us. I have had a very positive experience to date and would recommend others to attend this college.

Selina

I would tell myself that you need to save the money you get to help pay with school. Not to give up so easily on things that frustrate me. Work towards getting the best grades possible, it might be hard but its worth it in the long wrong. Don't get so emotional with things get hard in life and to push through it. College can be tough but don't let it put you down and work the best you can and just have fun while you there to. Do more stuff on campus and try to cut the hours down at work for you have more time to study. Don't let people discourage you and be more willing to get help on assignments you don't understand all the way. The more help you can get the better you can understand to pass the class and keep it in your mind.

Kirstin

Dear Kirstin AKA Senior in High School, Make sure you study in college, especially freshman year; college isn't all a joy ride. Get to know your professors and let them get to know you. Make a few close friends, not just a lot of acquaintances. Stay focused in classes, don't log into Facebook. Have fun on the weekends but the weekdays are for schoolwork. But most importantly; live, laugh, love, learn. Love, Kirstin AKA Sophomore in College

If I could go back and give myself advice, the first thing I would say is that this decision will not decide how the rest of your life will be. It is not set in stone, so don't take it too seriously. Have fun with learning about colleges and college life. But also, slow down and think everything through. Visit colleges you like more than once, but don't stress over it too much. If you decide later on that the college you picked is not the one for you, you can change it. I transfered to Morningside College after one semester at another college, and I am so glad I made the change. If I had known it was common and not difficult to transfer, I would have felt less pressure to make "The Right Choice."

Autumn

I would give myself the advice to explore the options. Don't stay so close-minded about the college search. Look at big AND little schools. Also, fill out scholarships! It's too important to ignore!

Never dismiss your spur of the moment ideas, they can sometimes lead you to where you really want to go. Fear nothin

Monte

The best advice I would give to students about finding the right college would be to look at more than one college. Many people always say that some people fall in love with a campus right when they see it, but still take a little time to visit other schools. Athletes, make sure you know for sure you are going to like your coach. Go and watch practices and games to see how it really is and remember, you are student athletes. The best advice I can give to parents is let your child choose where he/she wants to go, even if you are paying for the education. What matters most is that the kid is happy and is doing what he/she wants to be doing.

Mitchell

Some advice that I would give to a student and parents to find the right college is find one that is the right size and also one that has the right area a study for you. If you find a college with these things that match your preferences I think that you will have the best four years of your life and make friends for a lifetime.

Think about what college will encourage you to challenge yourself rather than one that will be the easiest to go to. For example, if you are a shy person, you should stay away from campuses with huge classes in which you could fade into the background. A campus with small courses will force you to engage in the discussion and provide more opportunities for leadership.

College isn't worth the money unless you pretty much know what you are going into. Community and Technical colleges are better and cheaper for specific schooling. More than likely you will get a job that you could have gotten without the degree. All it is is socializing and networking. Fun and a great experience but not worth the cost.

Derek

In order to find your best place for opportunity, you want to find an institution that wants to establish a two way relationship with you. You are obviously pursuing some form of higher education and want the most out of it, but you need to be looking for that same quality in an institution. As you are looking for certain aspects of a college or university that best further your education and career path, look for the college or university that is pursuing you because they desire you to be a part of their campus and culture. They are going to do this through personal connection and making their education more available to you. Look for those institutions that want you to do something for them, either in the next four years by improving their campus or leaving a mark on their legacy with your own. This is the best way to know if an institution really desires you to be there or if they just want to recruit you because you are another number. When I picked my institution, this is what I did, and I have established a wonderful relationship with my college.

Dustin

The best advice I would give parents and their children when searching for the right college would be to get involved and hands on at each college you visit. It's important to take time in advance to plan dates that will allow you to spend the most time on each campus you visit. While on campus tours take the initiative and ask questions so that you lead the tour instead of receiving the same structured tours that are given several times a day. Get free passes to a campus event like a sporting competition or dance to experiance the social enviorment of the college. To get a good feel of the academic aspect of the college try to schedule a vist that allows you to sit in on a class so you can observe the professor, students, and overall structure of the course. The biggest bonus to any college visit is spending the night with some host students. A night on campus will allow you to see both the social and academic aspects of the college. Your hosts will most likely be the best and most honest sources of information in regards to the college.

A college visit is a must! Interact with the students and meet with the faculty. Don't let the cost of the school interfere with choosing the best college for you! Education is priceless!

Go somewhere be happy.

Eva

Make sure you choose a school that can accomodate to your ways of learning, example small or large classes, personal professors, ect. Make sure to put yourself out there and try new things, you might like it. College is an experience of a lifetime, where you will meet some of your closest friends for life. Have fun, take classes seriously, but don't forget who you are in the process.

Make sure you choose a college that you want to go to, not because it is close to home, but choose a college that fits your academic, atheltic, and social interests. I believe money should not be an issue, if you really want to go to a school there is enough finanical aid to be found that any school can be within your grasp.

My advice to find the right college is to go on campus visits and if they provide over night weekends take those oppertunities because thats how you get a good feel about the campus you're visiting. Also make sure the major you want is available and the classes they offer are going to take you in the right direction before deciding on a school. In terms of getting the most out of your college experience i would say you really need to get involved when you're a freshman. Don't sit in your dorm or room with your best friend from high school because you're only creating a bubble and you can't meet new people and experience new things if you have a bubble of protection around you. Also don't go home on weekends unless you have to until the first break, the more you go home the more you miss out on and the less involved you become.

Finding the right college - as I would compare it - is like picking out your future spouse. You need to try multiple schools and stay at each one for an overnight visit. This way you can gain inside information from its' students without the pressures from faculty, student ambassadors, and college coaches. I know that I only stayed at one school and it was the one I ended up picking. I do not fully regret my decision but I would have surely chosen a different school. Your children need the best information that is possible. Allow them adequate time and space to make the decision for themselves. They will have to live with it through the two-four years in school and the rest of their lives. Students will need good information from at least three - five different schools with appeal to them. The first choice, in this situation, should never be the last without seeing what other schools can offer your children. Your children mean the world to you - so give them the opportunity to let college mean the world to them. When they choose the right school there will be no stopping them in their life tracks.

Marisa

Listen to your gut and go for the school that deep down you want to attend. If the school is expensive try for any type of scholarship even if its only a few hundred dollars, everything counts when it comes to free money. Talk to the students that already attend the college and listen to their experiences and decide if those experiences are right for you. Think of the number one thing you want the college you choose to have and make sure the one you pick has it or you will be truly disappointed. Finally have an open mind, make new friends, and try new things. Life comes at you fast and you don't want to miss a thing.