Flint, MI
Mott Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mott Community College

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to get a job. Even though I am going to a community college, it is still hard to pay for college for someone who never had a job. Also, having a job in high school would have taught me better time management. Time Management is key in college. Being a full time student and having a job keeps me quite busy. I wish I could go back in time to give myself advice on time management, staying organized, being fiscally responsible, and growing up.

The worst thing about Mott Community College is the advisors. They have not been a help to me when choosing my courses and helping me figure out what will transfer to a university of my choice. I have been on my own figuring out what needs to be done even though I have gone to an advisor for help.

The most frustrating thing about Mott Community College is that it is not as challenging as I would like. The course I have taken so far have been really easy. It is also frustrating that the honors courses available aren't any that I would like to or am required to take.

Matthew

If I can go back in time as a senior in high school, I would have sat myself down and listen very closely. The first thing I would say to myself is that the government will not pay for your education and listen to the teachers that tries to convince on going to a local community college. The journey on getting your bachelors could've been shorter and saving a lot of money on the way. You will go to two different school before recieving your Assoicate degree in 2008. Even though, you will seem behind from your peers that has recieved their Bachelors degree. The important part is not what age you recieved it but the journey of hard work that means a lot more than not working hard for it. Find a school that is a reasonable price and cherish the education you get from it even though it wasn't your first choice of a school that you wanted to go too. I would advice you not to go to Iowa State because you would ended up not getting the loan for a second year and another year of disappointment. Overall, do not give up!

Danielle

I would tell myself to actually apply myself in high school, and would inform my self to take advantage of every opportunity for assistance. I am very hard working, focused, and disaplined so I would just encourage my self to keep up the hard work. I am also a single mother so I would encourage myself to try and take some college courses while I was still in high school.

It is extremly difficult to find parking, and most of the time people are not very caring!

Definately a thick skined individual.

An educational experiance for the community to benefit from.

An educational experiance for the community to benefit from.

My senior year of high school had only one meaning to me, freedom. It was not having a curfew, not listening to my parents, or anyone else. Looking back I wish I had listened to those people that said it was just the beginning. Like so many others I slacked off my freshman year and eventually got kicked out. After taking some time off and figuring out my goals that today if I could go back I would change everything. I would tell myself that college isn?t a party it?s about learning and expanding your goals in life. Save your money things get expensive when you?re the only one paying for college, and getting financial aid is hard when your parents make too much. Try not to buy books at the book store, look around for books from other students and online. Most of all I would tell myself not to get overwhelmed, have fun and learn what you can don?t get discouraged. So much advice that I know I wouldn?t have listen to because I was the young and ignorant girl looking for that freedom that I now know is found within your knowledge.

There are only one type of person that shouldn't attend this school and that is those that don't have the dedication to a higher education. Mott is a college that gives the opportunity for everyone in the community and even outside the community to reach their goals in life and without the dedication why pay for something that your not gainning the knowledge that is being handed to you?

dayna

Dear High School Senior Dayna, Hey girl, I have some advice for you form the future. College is fun and you are doing really well. Everything is going just as you planned academic wise but your work load is getting kind of high. You are working 30-35 hours a week while taking on a 15 credit semester. It?s a lot to handle and you are doing okay but you don't have a lot of free time. So here is my advice for you, apply for as many scholarships as you can! That $4000 Michigan Promise Scholar you got, don't use it, they are going to take it away. Don't pay for college; let all those scholarships out there pay for your college. Life would be so much better if you didn't have to work so much. Even your friends are starting to bug you because you are always working. I know you?re not even thinking about how you?re going to pay for college. Think about it, college is going to pay for itself; someone has to pay for it. Don?t let that person be you. Sincerely, College Freshman Dayna

Before attending Mott Community College I wish I would have know more about scholarships and finical aid. I only had one scholarship when I started my freshman year, the Michigan Promise, which was taken away. Because this scholarship was taken away I now have to try and repay the thousand dollars I used during my first semester while paying my current semesters tuition. I have to work very hard to work 30-35 hours a week while attending school full time. I wish I would have know how much work it was really going to be.

The most frustrating thing about Mott is the students who get paid to go to college and don?t go. These students sign up for their classes and go for the first couple weeks then they get their check from the government. About $1500 goes towards their tuition and the rest goes straight into their pockets. Most of these students stop attending class once they get their check. The students who do this really frustrate me because there are students how work hard pay for their college on their own and are struggling, and they just get a free pass.

Chad

If I could go back in time and give advise to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to buckle down and spend more time studying. Especially the basics that would help to do good on the entrance exams at college. If I could have done better on the entrance exams, I could have saved some time and money by skipping the basic classes I am now required to take before I can begin classes in my program of choice. That is the advise I would give myself if I could go back in time with what I know now.

The parking situation at my college is terrible. You have to pay to park, which becomes very expensive after a while. Or in order to get free parking you have to get to school very early, or with enough time to wait for someone to leave.

The type of person who should not attend this school is a person who thinks they can continue to act like a high school student. This is a college, and students are here to learn and move on to their choosen careers, and should not have to put up with disruptive people.

Unique, not the typical "Miami J. Crew U" stereotype. They are fun, just like me, but different in their own special ways. They are also people to look to for help with schoolwork and a blast to hang out with on the weekends.

Be open to every person you meet. Even if they don't look like someone you would normally hang out with, they can surprise you and end up being your personality twin! Do what you want to do with your college experience, not whatever someone else wants you to do. If you don't want to be a part of the whole drinking scene, don't do it. There are plenty of other things to do on campus! Get involved in something, whether it be a sport, a club, or a job, and meet new people. Try and eat healthy too, that fried food can catch up to you! And don't sacrifice comfort for fashion. Everyone has their own style here! You don't have to fit a certain mold. And you're going to have to work hard, but as long as you keep up with the work you'll be fine!

That you didn't have to have the "J. Crew U" preppy style. There are plenty of other people who have their own style. It's okay to be yourself here.

Briana

The most talented, diverse student body in the area.

The most talented, diverse student body in the area.

One thing thats unique about my school is that there our art program is pretty darn good. U of M Flint actually send there students to our school for the art programs. Even though were only a community college we have a strong group of instructors and creative and extremely talented students.

If I could go back in some time machine I would totally give me a lecture about some serious stuff and allot of trivial but important info. One thing I would DEFIANTLY stress was to get my butt in gear and fill out all of the scholarships I can until my hand falls off. Another thing id tell myself is to stop loosing things especially my ID card because paying five dollars every time you loose it is a pain. Pizza or Id?... ill take the pizza. Don't worry what you wear when u walk to class because lets face it when it comes down to frost bit toes in some awesome flats or healthy feet and snow boots I'm going to go with that. My last words would be do all your work, there will always be parties, keep your stuff in check and scholarships equal free cash and college equals expensive so keep it up!

Zachery

My school is a small and individual oriented school where the facility's goal is for the student to succeed.

High school is a joke. It's a joke because after it's over, then, you realize that everything is different. The things you thought were stupid, you realize were the most important things. High school is one of the few places where people are willing to give you something for free so that you can use it to benefit for the rest of your life. Do not take that for granted. Get your priorities straight. Do your homework and study hard. Try your best everyday and in everything you do. If you do that, not only will college be easier, but the rest of you life will be better.

People that don't think they are ready for the life of huge class sizes should go to Mott because they, as a student, will be able to recieve more one on one time with the teacher.

Kenneth

At the present the semester has not began, however my previous classmates were the most mysterious yet sincere individuals ever met.

While serving time at The Charles Egler Facility, State of Michigan, Penal Institution, I was offered the oppurtunity to attend a internal extention program from Spring Arbor College. The oppurtunity rendered allowed me to gain the education that I never would have been able to obtain, and equipped me to re-enter free society with a plan of action, and knowledge that otherwise would not have been available to me. We went to school at the prison, and the instructors came in through armed gaurds, and barded wire to educate us. Now I'm attending school as a free man.

Knowing how precious life is today, and how I had taken for granted the days of my youth, and wasted my high school years, and repeated classes by making poor decisions and associating with the wrong crowds, I would take the time to talk to myself as a high school senior and remind myself that the decisions you make today willl impact your life forever. There are people in place to help give you advice and assist you with making the right decisions, such as Academic Advisors, Financial Advisors, who can steer you in the right direction and secure the right classes, so that you wouldn't have to stumble at wasteing time and dropping classes that will result in poor grades, or no grade on your transcripts. Knowing now that my love for music, theatre, and the arts is so important to my career, I would advise young Kenneth to take full advantage of the career planning processes offered through student counselors in order to develop a clear path and gain the technical knowledge and experience needed to further my career goals. Which would have been to become a recording artist and later a Video/Audeo Producer.

Mott Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.