Mountain State University

« See more reviews of Mountain State University

As a high school senior, you are faced with so many possibilities and so many directions for your life. I remember sitting at my graduation wondering, "Now what?" The uncertainity of college life and what to expect was overwhelming. Would my friends and I stay in touch? What should my area of study be? How will I adjust to being away from home? If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now, I'd tell myself to just breathe and embrace whatever comes your way, good or bad. College life is about making new connections and learning experiences. Embracing all the experiences that come your way is the best way to get the most out of your college days. Every experience will teach us and help us grow as a person. It will mold us into a better, more well-rounded adult. Both the positive and negative will teach us valuable lessons about life and what direction we want to take. College life is what you make it. Take away the best experiences and learn from the rest.

When attending a college, you have to find the right one for your major and your family. I went back to school later in life after having two kids and working full time. It has helped me develop my skills and has enhanced my knowledge in my study for my degree. While attending college, the professors and the University have been very helpful to me and have allowed me to get the classes that I need for my degree. As a student and a parent with two children that will attend college, you have to make the most of your studies and make sure your college choice has what you want to study. My children and husband have seen me struggle working full time and attending college full time, but have seen me receive A's and B's for my hard work and dedication. This has truly been a wonderful experience for me and my family.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are a lot of things I would tell myself. I would tell myself not to listen to others, they will most likely lead you down the wrong path. Even if it isn't the wrong path, it is not your path to go down. You make your own way, and all of that starts just after high school. I would also tell myself to do homework, school is not a daycare center after high school. Your college professors give you your work, expect you to do it, and don't really care if you don't do it . There won't be anyone there to hold your hand through the tough assignments. You will have friends to help along the way, but most of them are just as lost as you are. Remember, you are the one paying for this, get your money's worth!!

The first thing is to find colleges with the degree that is being seeked out. Then look at their website, ask for information, and take a tour of the campus.You can never be to thorough. Then layout your options and find the pros and cons of each and make a decision unless their is no need because you have already decided. Then one must get all supplies needed. The one thing i find most helpful in college is a computer of my own even though their is computers on campus it is easier to do work in your own space. Secondly a cell phone and bank account are very helpful expecially if you get money from your parents and are away from home. The cell is great for emergencies or just to call home and tell your parents how great everything is going.

Even thow this is my first semester in college it has been an overwhelminly but enjoyable experience.These few months in college have been my best months in school since attending kidergarden.I have gained knowledge and learned as a human to think outside the box and look at situations form all angles. I realized that if you can read a situation correctly you can have the best out come. I look forward to these next few years in college , bescause if i learned this life changing lesson in the first few months who knows what will be learned in the next 3 years. Kevin Richardson

From my college experience I have gotten a boost in motivation to continue to pursue my education and career goals. The supportive school staff, and equally motivated school mates give me the extra push that I need to stay positive while pursuing my goals. The most valuable reason for me to attend school has been that I have been able to thorougly see something through. Obtaining a college education has been a goal of mine for as long as I can remember. The friendships that I have found here are just as valuable because I believe that I have made lifelong friends here.

Visit the campus you plan on attending several times if possible. Take a tour of the dorms and building to see what shape the buildings are in. Talk to students that are currently enrolled in the field of study you are interested in pursuing. Look at the community the college or university is located in and see if it is a place you would like to live. I also feel it is very important to look at the crime rate of the college and the community where it is located. Finally, dont go so far from home that you cant visit often.

As a previous college student I learned a lot about myself and being independent. I believe it is valuable to attend college, because you are competing with a lot of people in this world. Being a college student will allow others to see what you are capable of. You are more likely to be successful as a college graduate. I am now 32 years old and reentering college. It is valuable for me to get my degree in a career I can be successful in, so I may be a roll model to my kids.

If I could go back and talk to my younger I would tell myself to get out more and learn how to be myself and loose my shyness. I would warn myself that college is not going to be like highschool and knowledge isn't something that is going to get into my head through some type of weird osmosis I will have to study hard everyday so all the years spent in school would be worth it. I would tell myself that a thick skin is important in this world and to enjoy life as best she can.

The advice I would give myself is to go where you will be happy. I came to my current university, because I recieved a scholarship and maybe that was for the wrong reason. I should have went to West Virginia University, because in my heart that is where I want to be. I am in the process of transferring there and this scholarship would help me tremendously. If I could go back my advice would be go where "YOU" want. Do not go somewhere just for the money.