Murray State University

« See more reviews of Murray State University

The guest rule. During the week, students who live in the residential colleges are not allowed to check another person into their dorm for more than six hours between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. This means I cannot spend the night, have study groups, or simply hang out with friends who live in other buildings on weekdays. Students are 18 years or older and pay to live on campus which means students should be allowed to choose how long they want to check a guest into their building.

If I could improve professors ability to relay information to students that would be a huge plus! Not all students learn in the same way. For me, I need a fun upbeat professor who makes me want to learn . Your not going to love every class you take and you are sometimes required to take classes that have nothing to do with what you want to do with your career. If professors would understand this and make class time more fun, students would learn outstandingly better.

If I had to choose one thing that was the most frustrating for me at Murray State, it would be the fact that the dorm where I lived was very old, and the electrical system was probably outdated. We had fire drills at all times. We were not allowed to use extension cords, which some people brought anyway. It caused shortages in the building. Other than that, I had an awesome experience at Murray my freshman year.

When researching and asking questions one should not take the first answer, do not be afraid to ask the same questions to multiple people. Many time I have received bad information from an advisor even. Also make sure not to beleive every "regulation" There are many loop holes not given readily to students without deep research such as the "housing requirments".

What frustrates me the most about this college is the financial aid process. You get what you deserve eventually, but the process is a pain and it takes forever. For some students the process is not complete before school begins and they get purged untill the process is complete. I believe they can do better in this area. Other than that I have no complaints.

The most frustrating thing about Murray State University is the lack of library space. While there are two libraries on campus, only one is commonly used and up-to-date with computers and technology. Therefore, in finals week or busy times of the day during the semester, it can be difficult to find a place to study especially if you need a computer to use.

Murray State is not a "big name" school like Purdue, Cal Tech, or Harvard. This can cause problems if your degree is in a field that places a lot of prestige on where you earned your degree. However the quality of education here at Murray is excellent. We are consistently rated as one of the top colleges for our area of the country.

The most frustrating thing is probably that a majority of students go home on the weekends, which means party night is Thursdays, which can be a bummer when you have 8:30am class on Fridays! But they've shifted a lot of parties to the weekends now, so this is getting better. The night scene has picked up in my 3.5 years here.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the amount of scholarships given to out of state students. My school is in Kentucky, and I live in Tennesse. I have to pay over double the amount that in state residents pay for tutition. This has caused alot of money problems, and I have two loans out to pay for my education.

It would be the fact that scheduling can be fairly difficult. You may be scheduling for the wrong classes but you will not find out about it until after you completed the course and paid for it in full. In other words, Murray has a reputation for poor advising in most cases, but most certainly not all.