New York Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of New York Institute of Technology

I would say that the college experience is one that you have to be prepared for in many ways. College is about academics, but also about growing up as an independent individual. In highschool students are babied by teachers and constantly flooded with deadline reminders, however, in college you will receive a syllabus of everything that is required throughout the semester, reminders may be administered depending on professors. Time management is crucial. You also have to make sure you keep on top of financial aid and scholarships since this is what gives you the peace to study comfortably without being stressed on how to pay for education. You will find that you'll need to find a job, college can be expensive; other than tuition you will find books, gas, or dorming expenses ahead of you. However, Benjamin Franklin once said, "an investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Another thing you will need to think about is finding internships, volunteering, and research opportunities depending on the major choosen. Your major and college experience is one of the biggest decisions you will make in life since it will ultimately lead to your profession and structure of life in the future.

Given what I've learned so far as an undergraduate student, I'm of the opinion that students are the only ones capable of properly choosing their own college. One of the most subtle bits of information can be the most important: the percentage of students that commute. In my experience, is why my campus lacks a sense of community. Because most students commute, very few students could care less about attending school events or initiating any kind of positive, meaningful change. In the world of folders, packets and propaganda that fills the head of students heading for college, it's easy to miss something so trivial looking, and with good reason. Choosing a college to apply to has become an challenge in and of itself, a test of information management. While most students sort through the information a college circulates and the seemingly desperate looking ad campaigns designed to catch their interest, I'm certain any who are like myself thought the same question: "Why is it that the acceptence process is difficult, yet so many campuses are desperate for our application in the first place?" The important thing is to pay attention to the subtle, less emphasized facts.

When you are looking at a school be sure to take a look at the internships that your school offers. You should also check out the alumni. You go to school for the educational experience that the school provides but, the social life is equaly important. You need an equal balance of both work and pleasure. When you work hard in your classses you need a social environment that will help you decompress from the stress that will build up. Also when you investigate schools, you should look up the school's accident reports. This information is usually open to the public on the school's website. It will give insight into what kind of "stupid" student behavior that you might encounter on your campus. It will show the negatives of your school and will help you decide if it is worth paying so much money for dorming at your school. The most important thing is to invest into your school. You were chosen to go to your school for a reason. Colleges are basically companies that are hiring you to do well in their work place. If you work hard for their company you will get a raise (scholarship) .

College is the most expensive part of our education. The best option for parents and students that are looking to further their educations would be to find a school that offers the program that you are interested in. After establishing this, look into scholarships and grants to help pay for your schooling. Once you have that diploma, you will feel a sense of accomplishment. Employers will not care what letterhead signed the diploma, but that you have accomplished this task. It's about the education that you received while attending the school.The best part of schooling is what you want to get out of it. College is about finding out who you are and determining the type of person that you want to become. Do not give up on your goals, it may be trying and difficult, but the end result is what it is all about. This is the place where you grow into the adults that you will become. Grasp every opportunity that is offered to you. Try out new things and ideas, this is the place to grow and flourish, where you will get the experience and understanding of what life is all about.

During my second year of undergraduate studies, I encountered my most memorable experience, my uncle. It was at this time his health had taken a turn for the worst. My assistance appeared to be limited to regular visitations whenever I was afforded the time away from my studies. Though his health deteriorated, I was always welcomed by his high spirits and jovial attitude. I didn't quite understand this positive mind-set; nevertheless, it left me humbled and speechless. It was as if the intriguing conversations, delicious meals, and innocent laughter we shared were therapeutic. He unknowingly taught me one of my greatest lessons in life; you may not always be able to treat a disease, but you can always treat a patient.My most direct exposure to medicine was my volunteer work at a local hospital. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking patients who were on stretchers and wheelchairs to various areas of the hospital and keeping them company. I enjoyed doing so, and I also found myself wishing that I had the skill and the knowledge to examine and treat them.

I would first advise people about the cost of college. You really need to consider the price/quality of education ratio of each college and how much financial aid they are willing to offer. With the economy in the state that it is, I feel that for most people this is the most important piece of advise I can give them. When it comes to making the most out of your college experience, well it's all about being social. Everybody is in the same boat as you. Nobody knows anyone so the best thing to do is be the outgoing person. Everyone likes the outgoing person and it makes for an amazing first impression. People like friendly and confident people. By being as such, you are laying the foundation for a great college experience. One last piece of advise, don't be lazy the first semester. I know many people that screwed up their first semester of college and still kick themselves for it. Do not be lazy, use that first semester to create a solid foundation for the rest of your college career. For most, this is the easiest semester of college, so take advantage of it.

I think students (and parents too) often get blinded by the "big-name" schools, and think that those are the best for them. That is not necessarily the case. Sometimes, the best schools are hidden gems, and the student may benefit from a smaller school which is more intimate and close-knit, then from a larger university. I think the key is knowing what you want. While larger schools have better facilities and more opportunities academically and socially, if the student is driven enough in life, they will always find ways to get the most out of their college experience (outside the programs offered by the institution). If you have a positive outloook, and a strong sense of direction, there is no limit to what you can accomplish, regardless of the school. A top school may provide you with the title, but they cannot give you passion. There is something truly wonderful about students and professors who co-exist, and a small-scale setting allows for that level of interaction. Choose wisely based on what you want, and where you see yourself going in the future.

I would advice myself to take the college transition very serious because high school and college are extremely different. In college there is more freedom to do whatever you would like, which may sometimes cause you to be distracted from school work. It is important to use this freedom to your advantage and to also learn how to manage your time carefully. For example, in highschool teachers would constantly remind you when homework was due. In contrast, college professors put it upon the students to be responsible enough to check their syllabus constantly for the homework assignments. Although for many students this might be a negative aspect of college life, college teaches us how to be responsible while also preparing us for the future. While it is important to have fun during your college years, there is always time for work and time for play. The key to success is to learn how to differentiatite between both. If we want to become sucessfull, it is important to make sacraffices that will be worth it in the long run.

My advice is if your son/daughter is trying to become a doctor I suggest their child get into the BS/DO program (Bachelours of Science Doctoreate Degree) otherwise don't let your child get into this school. First three semesters consists of pre-med students however later most of them will either drop out or transfer. There's a saying for NYIT, Next Year I Transfer, as for social activities there are none. There is a lack of on campus parties because of the lack of on campus housing, which can be found on SUNY Old Westbury campus, so if your child is dorming at NYIT, he/she isn't going to live on campus. As for the food, its too pricey, it could be lowered. Some people may find NYIT to be an easy college because of some of the courses that are given are too easy. One really big issue on this campus is parking as well because this is a commuter college there's a lack of parking spaces. If your child's first choice for NYIT, make sure he/she has more options available as well because NYIT shouldn't be there only choice.

Number one step I think for choosing the right college is to go there yourself. Understand the community around the campus (if you are dorming) and look at the overall attitude of the students attending. Don't be shy to ask basic questions to the students, they would be happy to talk about their experience while attending. Research online. Look for message boards about the school. If you know what major you are going for, see if that school has a good program for it. A good way of seeing this is to look around the department. See the classrooms and how they are set up, how many classrooms are available for the major. See if the school's technology is up to date, that is really important. See if there are presentaion areas strickly for the major. Ask how many professors are within the department. Really take the school in and really try to understand what kind of school it is, that makes all the difference in weather you will have a enjoyable time at this school or a time you regret.