New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

NYU definitely does have a diverse student body racially, religiously, and LGBT-wise, definitely less diverse socio-economically. Due to NYU's high tuition, many of the students I encountered were economically very well off. I was one of the few students I knew who was paying her own tuition, needed loans, paid my own rent, bought her own food, etc. There are few financially independent undergraduate students that I encountered. NYU is definitely a liberal school, and students are definitely politically active and aware. There are clubs, organizations and presentations that feature prominent political leaders; I actually met Bill Clinton while at NYU.

My classmates are so diverse. They come from Florida, Washington, California, Indiana, and almost every other state; not only from America, but they come from China, Russia, South America, and Europe. You can find all types of people at NYU. There are the timid, the outgoing, the studious, the partygoers, as well as the uninviting. Some of my classmates share similar interests as me and there are others who are the complete opposites. The diversity at NYU makes one become more open-mined than ever before. They open your eyes to things you've never seen or heard before.

I had an active role as a member of the Iranian Jewish Club. I started my freshman year as a model for one of their fashion shows and continued to grow each year, taking on a new role in the club. My senior year I was appointed President of the club and was able to practice my leadership skills. Students at NYU are from all over the world. You can't go 5 minutes without hearing a different language being spoken. NYU is a great place for anyone who is interested in learning about others. You get a lot of culture at NYU that is not bound to those who live locally.

There is no tyoical NYU student. Each person who attends the university is as unique as the city in which it is located. New York University calls itself "a school in and of the city", which is clearly represented by it's student body. There students here come from every background possible with only one thing in common, they want to attend NYU. So many students from all over the globe and country come to study here. At NYU you have the bussiness school students who wear suits to class and the artists who major in drama all becoming one.

My classmates are all very driven. Due to NYU's competitive nature, the students all compete to achieve the highest grade. In high school you can easily stand out; however, in NYU everyone is either smarter than you or just as smart which makes it a lot more difficult to stand out among the other students. However, everyone is very friendly and helpful. I have met my best friends here and what I love about NYU's atmosphere is the diversity it houses. Everyone is so different and has so many different things to offer.

The only kinds of people I don't meet very often at NYU are those who are homophobic or racists. Otherwise, I have seen people who are rich, poor, black, white, asian, multi-racial, multi-lingual, republican, democrat, hippy, hipster, preppy, athletic, introverted, extraverted, frat boys, book worms, you name it and we've got it. New York City is one of the biggest melting pots in America and NYU is a reflection of that. If you don't want to be a part of a diverse student body, then you shouldn't come to NYU.

Any student who identifies as conservative is bound to feel abused at NYU, as conservatives are looked down upon by the university. There is a preconceived notion that conservatives are homophobic religious zealots and war hawks. The open-mindedness that NYU supports does not extend itself to conservatives, for conservatives are just seen as wrong. No opportunity is presented for conservative students to argue or explain their opinions, as conservatives are just wrong, according to NYU philosophy.

Like I said before, everyone is from everywhere. I've met people from very different backgrounds: European, Asian, Middle-Eastern, Canadian, gay, straight, bi, wealthy, working class, Christian, Muslim, Atheist, etc. Seriously, I can't tell you how many different people you'll meet. You can't feel out of place, unless you REALLY want a close campus base. Or if you want to live in a rural place... Students wear whatever they want. Really. Catwalk, to sweats. '

A very small-minded person who hasn't had a lot of life experience would probably feel out of place at NYU, but that has more to do with the city than the school. Republicans generally feel out of place. The majority of NYU students are jews from the tri-state area. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There are also a decent number of wasps. Lots of spoiled little rich girls. Like Gossip Girl or the Hills. It's kind of nauseating.

There was a recent list in the Daily Beast on the best gay-friendly schools. NYU placed fourth. I completely disagree. NYU should be number one. Located on the edge of the West Village, NYU is in the heart of LGBTQ culture. There is a pretty large gay population at NYU and I have yet to meet a student who is not accepting and friendly. There are also many clubs and unions for anyone who wants to get involved in the LGBTQ community.