New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

NYU is a very scary place if you don't know what to expect. It's also not worth the debt, so if you aren't getting enough aid to come here without significant loans please go elsewhere. You'll get just as good if not a better education for less elsewhere. It's really not worth the $$ unless you're in Stern or Tisch or have a major in which it would be advantageous to live in NYC for the internships. That's the best thing that this school offers: connections. I'm already blogging, I've interned twice, and I have a huge amount of published clips and I'm just finishing my second year. That being said, opportunities are something you will have to seek out yourself. NYU does not hold your hand and, frankly, does not give two shits about you as a student. You will have to seek out job opportunities and internships yourself, and if you're willing to do that than this school is excellent. It is what you make of it.

It is difficult to go to NYU as a freshman. You're suddenly in the city, without a campus or a defined community. Its hard and depressing as a freshman, and most students want to transfer their first semester. But after you come back from winter break, you begin to fall in love with your school, finding your community and close group of friends. When you meet up with your peers from home, you wont have very much in common regarding your school. There is no football team, few fraternities, few sororities. There are no eating clubs, and no school green (unless you count Washington Square park or the steps of Union Square). But there are restaurants, and Frisbee in Central Park, free Fridays at the MoMA, and underground concerts in Williamsburg. And since you wont need a car, you wont have to beg your parents for one...and you wont have to pay for the increasing gas prices!

NYU has two parts. The first I will call the Academic Institution. This is made up of the students, professors, faculty, and academic buildings. This is the sphere where you receive your education and interact with your peers and your professors on a stimulating and intellectual level. This is the NYU that I love. The second part is the Administration. This is the bureaucracy and red tape that you will fight with every semester you attend NYU. Not that this aspect of the school isn't extremely necessary and important and sometime they are extremely sweet and helpful. But most of the time it takes patience and perseverance to get anything accomplished or find out any information from an office. You get used to the system after a few years because you will find that living in the City in general requires you to be assertive.

Set in a metropolitan, NYU is not your typical college campus. The typical Greek and sports life that defines college is virtually nonexistent. You attend classes with peers from all over the world, but despite the cultural differences, the environment is liberal and LGBT friendly. Many NYU students are also artsy, dabbling in fashion, photography, or acting. Although NYU does not offer the all-American college experience, it compensates with its worldly and talented student body; making connections in college is crucial. Also, NYU offers an extensive study abroad program with campuses in 13 cities located on 6 different continents!

One Great aspect of NYU is its location because I am not confined by the typical campus structure found at most universities, but rather am part of a larger urban community where everything, including food, parks and entertainment venues are easily accessible, giving me the opportunity to flourish academically, artistically and professionally. Several significant buildings for incoming freshman are located in the heart of Manhattan and through various NYU academic departments, I can master my crafts and encounter unforgettable experiences everyday. It is the place I?ve always wanted to be and a place I never want to leave.

I lived in a midwestern small town; NYU is located in an ultra urban environment. I appreciated the campus setting being very different from other schools I considered. While there is a central location at Washington Square, the campus literally becomes the city itself. I have found classes incorportate this unique setting into the curriculum, meeting at museums, author readings, theaters, the United Nations, etc. to make learning literally tied to the world. In addition, the diversity among the students at NYU is second to none and appreciated by all who attend. NYU truly opens the world to its students!

Living and studying in New York City offers students to come across a great diversity of people in age, orientation, religion, ethnicity, race, and interests. It provides an inspirational and motivating environment for artists and academics alike, allowing all students a chance to deeply explore their passions and to learn more about who they are. NYU attracts some of the most intelligent students and professors, making the classroom setting a feast for the mind. There is also a great range of classes that can fit any curious interest, and the social life outside the classroom is unparalleled in experiences.

Blair Waldorf may refer to NYU as a ?glorified state school? filled with students with ironic facial hair ? but NYU is rightfully called a dream school. This is the University where an acceptable ?Welcome Week? activity is ?Guess the Straight Person?; where drawing a student naked could be homework; where an exciting education and non-traditional college experience awaits; where adventures are in front of you (unless you stumble upon a film set, then you need to go around); where the grid of Manhattan is your campus; and where summer is truly the worst part of the year.

NYU is in the heart of NYC, the world's media capital, making job opportunities very possible and serving as a place where strong and important connections can be developed. With that said, NYC also entices many people from all over the world to study at NYU and bring the best and most pertinent and admirable of guest speakers and guest lecturers into the classroom. Despite our lack of a "campus" and arguably sub-par sports teams, NYU provides so much more than four years of tailgating and gathering at the quad; it provides an academically engaged community.

New York University is extremely diverse which allows its students to interact with other cultures and learn things about life that are not possible in smaller schools. Being located in the heart of New York City also allows for many more resources than small towns. NYU has partnerships with many companies that can be future employers for its students so there are a great amount of possible internships, volunteer work, and part-time jobs. NYU also gives its students a greater sense of independence while living in such a flourishing, fast-moving city.