New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

A little. Compared to other schools, students who to go NYU, like NYers as a whole, rarely leave the house wearing sweatpants (unless we're on our way to the gym). We are immersed in the culture of the city, as we are a school of the city, so our love of art, and eclectic music, fashion, and social interactions are all more intensified than if we were at a campus school. But there are students of all varieties besides theater majors or cultural brown-nosers. And while we dont live on campus or go to frat parties (there are frat parties on campus, but most of them are in bars rather than "houses" which have capacity restrictions for security reasons) but our school spirit is heavily invested in the fact that we have no spirit. You will never find another group of students as proud to be known as the "fighting violets" (the scariest mascot around!)

Stereotypes are always somewhat accurate. The Tisch students are very creative and will no doubt go on to be successful in life. Stern students are geniuses and surprisingly pretty nice. But they are a bit too exclusive for everyone's liking. Why do they have their own Wi-fi network that only they can access? CAS students come in a variety of flavors and you never know what to expect. Steinhardt students are pretty laid back for the most part. And LSP students are most definitely not stupid. Although they are made to feel that way by others. The classes they take are no different from the classes of other NYU schools. The school is completely unnecessary.

I would say half of the stereotypes are true. Not all the kids that come to NYU are wealthy. In fact, it is quite often you hear of the struggles that one must go through to come to this school. It seems NYU's reputation as the worst school to give financial aid is a universal truth. Other than that, yes, there are tons of gays, tons of hipsters or people who dress like hipsters, and there are some people who tend to have their noses stuck up in the air. However, there are most certainly the opposite at this school as well. It's just a matter of where you meet those people.

Yes and no. A lot of people here are extremely rich, and it's clear that they have full access to daddy's credit card (and they aren't ashamed to flaunt it). This school also has a ton of hipsters and faux hipsters, though I suppose I fall into that category myself (hey, at least I own up to it), so I can't really shit on that too much. There are also lots of Asians and Jewish students (NYU is often called NYJew), and yes a lot of my friends are from NJ, PA, or other surrounding states. NYU is also fairly antisocial. You have been warned.

Yes, they tend to be, except for open-mindedness. NYU mistreats and degrades conservative students in many ways. It seems NYU's vastly liberal student body and staff are open to all ideas - except any conservative thinking, regarding it as blatantly wrong. It is highly hypocritical that a school that claims such open-mindedness and characterizes conservatives as close-minded takes such a blatantly close-minded approach. It's commonly said that coming out as gay at NYU is easier than coming out as conservative.

In general out of the students I have come across: Rich- not all but a lot, smart- most, highly competative- most, artsy- yes, but mostly in Tisch School of the arts (duh), gay- more than in other schools, Jewish- yes, large Jewish community, diverse- very but few African Americans, stuck up- not the majority

People here are often smart and rich. The city was unbelievable at first, but when you don't live so close to campus, when you're really living among normal New Yorkers and not in the lap of luxury, it just becomes ordinary. As far as the education I'm getting, I just think there's a lot of bs involved.

NYU is so diverse that it is impossible to generalize about what an NYU students is. You will find gay people and Jewish people and pretentious people, but you will also find down to earth people, hard working students and athletes. There is a niche for anyone and everyone.

-NYU does have a higher population of LGBT students than many other universities, which helps diversify the student population. -Many NYU students had done theatre in highschool, and while the Tisch School of the Arts has a large population of students

You bet. NYU is one of the most gay-friendly schools in the country, which is awesome yet impossible not to notice. As a result, the line in Clueless that Cher says to Josh about how 'NYU girls aren't at all particular,' is completely true.