New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

The opportunities at NYU are endless. So many resources. Great internship opportunities, awesome professors, and you're surrounded by dedicated and motivated students. One thing I'd change is the cost. Tuition is way to high. Regarding size, I don't that NYU is a large private university. You're in the city so you don't really think about it all too much. When I tell people I go to NYU, specifically Tisch, they are always impressed and typically say, "Damnnn that's awesome." I spend most of my time either at Tisch where I'm either working on a film project or editing in one of the suites. I also like hanging out by the park when it's nice out. NYU is not in a college town. You're in the middle of the city, technically SoHo. There are plenty of dining halls though and other campus eateries, as well as a couple of college bars. The biggest controversy on campus is the 2031 plan. I'm against it because I love that I go to college in the city. John Sexton, the NYU Pres, is trying to make it more of a campus. Lame. Not a ton of school pride, sports are not a big deal, but the basketball games are fun to go to.

The best thing about NYU is that you can pursue any interest that you have, the possibilities are endless. One thing I would change is the gender ratio at NYU, I would want it to be more even. Our school is very large, but the schools within the university make NYU it small as well. When I tell people I go to NYU, they assume that I have a lot of money and that I am very artsy/cultured. I spend most of my time in the student lounge at the Stern School. This is NYC, there is no college town, but a city that I think rivals any college town. NYU administration are very kind and helpful when you persist, but overall the adminstration is pretty impersonal. The biggest controversy is NYU's new study abroad site in Abu Dabi, and how it will be funded. We have very little school pride as a whole, but everyone is proud they go to NYU. There are many things unusual about NYU, we are not a typical school. One experience I will always remember is looking out into the city at the top of an NYU building the first week of school. Students frequently complain about how expensive NYU is.

NYU is way too large. One of the biggest complaints is that it's too hard to meet people. Lectures are too large so it's hard to get the teacher's attention, making it more difficult to learn. When I say I go to NYU to someone from my home city they think it's a big deal because it's a nationally acclaimed school and it's in New York City, however, up here NYU is not that big a deal especially with Ivy League Columbia just uptown. We don't have a campus so I try to spend most of my time in the dorm especially because I'm active on hall council so I'm needed here a lot. This is NOT a college town. NYU has a great administration that is always reaching out to the students which is nice in a place where you're just a number, it's as though they go out of their way to try to make you feel like a bigger fish. Biggest recent controversy on campus- mixed sex housing and it's broadening (we only have 1 mixed sex housing dorm). NO school pride! Complaints: no school pride, too big, socially independent, no dorm parties always bars and clubs, hard alcohol and drugs

The best things about NYU are its location and its resources. I would change the layout of the school and perhaps consolidate it a little more so it had a more community feel, it's alienating sometimes. It feels too large because it is so spread out, but I don't the the actual number of students is the problem. I spend most of my time around Washington Square and St. Marks Place. It's definitely not a college town in the classic sense, but there are plenty of things for college age kids to do. The university administration often seems like it takes pleasure in making things as bureaucratically complicated as possible, but I have been impressed by Gallatin (my school's) administration. There isn't really school pride, just New York City pride. There are a million unusual things about NYU, particularly, we don't really have a campus, or many of the other identifiably "college" things. I'll always remember watching Obama speak in Washington Square Park. I think the most frequent complaints are: hard to meet people, no campus, alienating.

The best thing about NYU is the wide range of experience it allows. If you want it, it's out there. I think that they might be trying to make it too large though with new mergers and acquisitions. Yes, buying property all over the place is great, but that don't leave much left for the people already at NYU. I get a mix reaction when people hear I'm from NYU. The main two responses would have to be though, did you sell an organ to get there and have you seen the Olsen twins yet? My dorm is far from campus now, but I do have breaks in between, I would saw that I'm generally at a place with couches, like Kimmel's second floor or the downstairs of Bobst. Of course during warm weather, and before the days of construction, I loved Washington Sq. Park. The latest controversy from NYU would probably have to be that graduation is taking place at a stadium now and not Washington Sq. park. I would be pretty sad not to take that symbolic walk through the arch.

The best thing about NYU...probably how pretty diverse it is. I've met a lot of pretty amazing people, from completely different backgrounds and perspectives. I'd probably make some changes in the housing office at NYU. For starters, I'd hire competent people. Since I was a sternie, I spent most of my time on "campus" in front of that R2D2 building in Gould Plaza. I've always hated that name, I feel like I have rotten cheese in my mouth when I say it. Each school is relatively small, but NYU in general is huge. Seems like everyone still knows everyone though. Facebook keeps me updated. I don't think NYU provided me with any one experience that I'll always remember. I did spend a whole lot of time overnight in the student lounge in Stern. Going to Seoul over spring break with stern was pretty rad too. Although that wasn't much of an educational trip, that was more of a week long alcohol binge that I barely remember.

NYU has no gated campus, which is amazing. The best thing about this school is that it is fully a part of the community and you get to experience the city every day! One thing that I don't really like is that NYU has no football team. I guess because it's a very "smart" school and we don't have room for a football stadium it makes sense, but at a lot of schools that's where the school spirit is built, in the football stadium. I think there'd be more school pride if we had some sort of sports team, not just football. Intramural sports don't really cut it. In the film department, the most frequent complaints are definitely about the allotments. We already pay a very large amount for tuition (and there's an extra fee for being in the film department, I believe) and then we have to buy most of our own supplies on top of that? That makes a lot of film students upset.

All things told, NYU is a fantastic institution with great opportunities, but it is definitely not for everyone. If you’re looking for the ultimate university experience with rolling lawns, outrageous frat parties, and a football team, then keep moving. If you’re interested in a metropolitan experience that makes you feel a little closer to the real world than prolonging high school, then look no further. The thing about NYU is that while most students will complain about it until the cows come home, they sort of knew what they were getting themselves into. We’re in New York City, and there’s no one here to hold our hands, so we may have to grow up a little bit faster than some of our state school friends (maybe).

NYU is definitely too large to cultivate any sort of school spirit or unity. The way I often describe it to people is that half my graduating class could die in a fiery subway wreck, and the only thing I'd notice is that the line for the elevators is shorter. However, being in New York offers you a lot of opportunities that you wouldn't get in a less urban area, or even in another city. So if you're the type to take advantage of that, it's still worth it, but if you'd rather have a more traditional college experience that includes knowing most of the people in your classes and having school traditions and graduating with a sense of having participated in some common experience, then NYU is not the right choice.

The best thing about NYU are the amazing apartment style housing options that are offered next year. I would absolutely make the school smaller. I'd also do an experiment where I pick up this university and plop it down in the middle of Idaho, and see who applies. People are usually pretty impressed when I tell them i go to NYU, they something like, "oh wow enjoying the big city?" I spend most of my time in my dorm, my friends dorms, or at the dining hall or at the gym. NO COLLEGE TOWN. Everyone is pretending to be 4 years older than they are. We are 18, not 24, stop going clubbing and to stupid bars. NYU's administration likes money. They rip you off. always. There is very little school pride.