New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

I enjoyed my time at NYU but honestly it was that the school provided a forum for me to live in New York City. NYU itself was an afterthought. That being said, I can't imagine being very happy anywhere else. The great thing about this city is that you realize once you get here that you're not under a microscope anymore. Nobody really cares what your grades are (unless you connect with a professor, which does happen...occasionally), nobody minds if you eat alone, nobody cares if you walk up and down Broadway in PJ pants and slippers. For me, having that was really freeing. For other people though, it is lonely, scary, and sad. I think the kids who killed themselves were responding to that.

NYU is huge. There are thousands upon thousands of undergraduates, but NYU compensates by having thousands upon thousands of course offerings, professors, and clubs. It's a big college with all the advantages that entails and none of the disadvantages. It's situated in a lovely corner of Manhattan, just around the corner from $2.50 falafel and a plethora of specialty bars. The village is your campus, and it is huge. The downside to this is that if you're not careful, classes can be very far apart indeed. This is usually avoidable, so long as you're not a language major and you pay attention to the location before you sign up for a class. Language major? You'll get a lot of exercise.

The best thing about NYU is the opportunities that the city has to offer. You will never be bored with the whole city at your fingertips, and the job and internship opportunities are unbelievable. The biggest issue for most students is the social life. NYU is huge and without a traditional campus or any sense of school pride or unity, it's hard for many people to make friends. You won't find many college "keggers" on weekends and our Greek life is almost nonexistent. And NO ONE cares about our athletic teams. On the bright side, NYU has a great tradition of academics and there's no shortage of things to do in the city.

Best thing: professors/programs/opportunities for students and of course...living in the city Change: Administration-don't seem to care much about students, lots of red tape. There are too many students for anyone to get real individual attention and have all their needs met. People's reaction: Every time I say it, especially in Texas, I am met with wow's and you must be smart. Where I spend my time: When it's nice I spend the time in Washington Square Park-outside of that NYU has a beautiful student center that overlooks the park, fifth avenue, and empire state building

The best thing about NYU is that it is in New York City. I would change the tuition, so that families who make under $60,000 get a full financial aid package. Our school is just about right. I spend most of my time in classrooms and in my dorm hanging out with friends. We have moderate school pride--def. not sports though. One experience that I will remember would definitely have to be welcome week. Frequent student complaints would have to be that NYU is looking to far ahead into the future rather than focusing on its current students.

The administration was wonderful. The financial aid office was a but screwy, but eventually they got the job done. My advisor Linda Vega was a saint, seriously. I was a permanent fixture at the Barney Building. Thats where most of my classes were, and thats where I did all of my work. I also spent a lot of time in Washington Square Park. Downtown New York is really a fantastic place to be located as a student and artist. I would say there's just enough school pride to be the right amount.

If you're going to NYU for a specialized program that is highly ranked on the national level, then I think it is worth attending this school. However, if you're studying something pretty general in the humanities or sciences that you can major in anywhere, then I have to question why you would be going to this school. Is it worth $70K per year just to get a regular old history degree? I doubt it.

The best thing about NYU is, hands down, the location. If I could change one thing, I would make it so that there's less red tape standing in your way whenever you want to do anything. There are so many nonsensical rules to break through or find your way around. You can accomplish alot but sometimes the amount of administration you have to go through to get there makes it not worth it.

NYU is a huge school right in Manhattan, so people who are looking for a big school spirit-y sports school won't be too happy. But on the other hand, there are tons of schools like that and no other school quite like NYU. The opportunities here - social, academic, professional - are completely unlike any other school I've seen.

NYU is an extremely populated school - too populated in my opinion. I think we need to concentrate more on the students who are already attending NYU, instead of trying to recruit more and more than we used to if we can't even afford to support the students that are currently students.