North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

There are so many different organizations on campus! There are over 600 student organizations along with intramural sports, club sports, varsity teams, Greek life, and much more. One group I am involved with is the Nutrition Club. I am able hear people from different careers in the field of Nutrition when they come and speak to us about their particular job and career path. I am also involved with the University Scholars program where I attend forums and take honors classes. Residence halls are a wonderful way to meet a lot of people by just leaving your door open or saying hey to someone while passing them in the hall. The athletic events are awesome here at State! The RBC center and Carter Finley Stadium houses the men's basketball and football teams. It is fun to have school spirit and hang out with your friends at different sporting events. The Wolfpack Club is also a great opportunity to get involved where you attend all different non-revenue sporting events as well. President Obama was our most recent speaker a few weeks about and he spoke at our Reynolds Coliseum, which also houses women's volleyball, women's basketball, men's wrestling, and all four branches of the ROTC. If you are awake at 2am on a Tuesday you are in the library studying, eating our homemade Howling Cow Ice Cream from the creamery, or hanging out with your friends in your residence hall. Each year shackathon happens in the brickyard, which is where students build and live in shacks for a week to raise money for Habitat for Humanity. Also, homecoming week each year is a great time to get free food or shirts and show some school spirit. Greek life only consists of about 10% of the students here on campus. If someone would like to join, it is a great opportunity to meet new people, but it is also not necessary. Last weekend I went to the N.C. State vs. UNC football game, and proudly watched our team win! On Saturday night, while not drinking, you can attend a movie at our campus theater, see a play put on by your fellow students, or eat on Hillsborough Street, which is right on campus and has a large variety of restaurants and even a bowling alley. Off campus, the city of Raleigh is right down the street, and there are many restaurants along with an Imax theater and much more!

I'm involved in Club Gymnastics which is a competitive program. You do not have to compete to be on the team. There are students from all different backgrounds, and levels of gymnastics. They are a very welcoming, friendly, and supportive group of students. Yes, some students leave their dorm doors open, especially if there is a suite door that locks. In that case many students leave their dorm doors unlocked. Athletic events, guest speakers, and theater are very popular and frequently attended. The football and basketball games are the most popular athletic events. I don't know much about the dating scene, many students are in a relationship, many are not. I met my boyfriend through a friend at the beginning of my freshman year. I met my closest friends in different ways. One I lived with in my suite last year, another I met in math class, and then my boyfriend I met though my friend from math class. At 2am on a Tuesday, if I am awake I am generally doing homework or studying. There are many traditions on campus. Two examples are Cates Crawl where campus organizations set up tables and booths along Cates Ave and RecFest where recreational clubs and sports set up booths and games and free prizes and food in Miller Fields. You can sign up for and get information at both of these events. The amount of partying depends on the student. I personally rarely party, but I know that some students party rather often. Fraternities and Sororities are not very important but are definitely have a large presence on campus. Many are very community service and major based. Last weekend I worked at a local gymnastics facility, went bowling, spent the day with my boyfriend for Valentines Day and went to gymnastics practice. On a Saturday night you can go bowling, hang out with friends, movies, Downtown to clubs for dancing, University sponsored socials, etc. Off campus I enjoy going hiking around Umstead, running and biking around Jordan lake, movies, museums etc.

Most popular organizations are probably fraternities and sororities. I never really participated much in on campus organizations because of so many things going on outside of school. I would highly recommend living in a dorm freshman year. I lived in Owen and loved the hall style because we all left our doors open and would just hang out with each other whenever. I met a lot of people that way. Athletic events are huge and so much fun. Even though we haven't had any really great sports teams in the last several years, games are always fun. Tailgating during football season is definitely my favorite. Be careful with underage drinking out there though because ALE walk around a lot. I had a boyfriend for my first couple of years at State so I didn't really get into dating much until my last couple of years. There are tons of single people though, so if you go out you'll definitely meet lots of people. I met my closest friends in my dorm freshman year and through some of those friends. I would highly recommend doing study abroad because I made really good friends through that too. Also, in a couple of my classes I made some pretty good friends. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday I'm probably either just coming home from being out or procrastinating on writing a paper or something. Krispy Kreme challenge is one of the big events that I think is usually in January- it's lots of fun and tons of people do it. You can find people partying pretty much anytime, which can be a good or bad thing I guess.

Athletics are an extremely important aspect of NC State University because of the sense of pride and support for the Wolfpack teams. Tickets to the athletic events are always on high demand and there are rivalries between other teams in North Carolina that make the events competitive and thrilling. NC State University has numerous athletic facilities such as the RBC Center and Carter-Finely Stadium where the Wolfpack teams are showcased every season with enormous student sections and a sea of red people engulfing the stadium seats. NC State University students share a great deal of pride in the athletic teams and support the teams through wins and losses. The Krispy Kreme Challenge is a unique tradition started at NC State University by a group of Park Scholars 8 years ago. The challenge is to run 2.5 miles from the Memorial Bell Tower on Main Campus to the Krispy Kreme Store in Downtown Raleigh then consume a dozen (yes, 12!) doughnuts then run back to the Memorial Bell Tower. This all has to be completed in under one our to successfully complete the challenge. All of the proceeds of the event go to the UNC Children's Hospital, and over $122,000 were raised at last years event. This event gathers thousands of NC State students for a common cause and serves as a prominent NC State tradition for years to come.

I'm in the NCSU marching band as well as pep band. Although it's a time consuming activity and it is, at times, physically exhausting, being in the band has been my best college experience so far. The friends I made in band are now what I consider my family. I met well over 100 people simply through band, which really helped me as a freshman to feel welcome in college. Athletic events are really popular at NC State, because there are so many people with many different athletic interests, so there are always crowds at every event. The best campus traditions are the Krispy Kreme Challenge, where you run 4 miles and eat 10 donuts for charity, the Ram Roast, a "tribute" to our hated Tarheel neighbors, and the Big Event, where the school rallies in support of our men's basketball team as they play Duke away from home. Partying at NCSU is also very big. The party scene is massive, with parties taking place on weekends almost everywhere imaginable. Almost everyone I know attends parties every weekend. Although the party scene is big, drinking is not mandatory. I do not drink and yet I still attend parties with my close friends, because they respect my moral decisions and do not pressure me.

Some of the most popular organizations on campus are the Pre-Health Club, the Student Wolfpack Club, and CSLEPS. A lot of the student population are involved in Greek Life. Intramural sports are also very popular amongst students. The football team is definitely the most popular team to watch on campus because we tend to be good. One of the organizations I am involved with is the University Ambassador Program, in which I am the face of the University and give campus tours to prospective students. I would say that the night life, athletic events, and University traditions are the most popular activities for people to get involved in. Some traditions include the Krispy Kreme Challenge, Wolfpack Welcome Week, Homecomming Week, and Cate's Crawl. If I am on campus, I am either hanging out in the Brickyard grabbing a bite to eat or in the library grabbing coffee. When I go off campus, I am usually grabbing a bite to eat with friends, seeing a movie, or going shopping. If it is a 2 AM on a Tuesday, I am either just relaxing with some friends and talking, or keeping to myself and listening to music and surfing the internet.

Many students at State are involved in greek life. There are members of sororities and fraternities all over campus. There are also a lot of varsity, club, and intramural sports to choose from. There are also numerous amounts of different kinds of clubs for students to become involved in. Athletic events are extremely popular, especially when we play UNC. Students definitely leave their doors open because it helps people to meet new people and make friends. NC State also allows for students to keep a book where they record all of the traditions that they have participated in. On a Saturday night, a person does not have to drink to have a good time. There are parties on the weekends, but there is also a campus movie theater, plays, sporting events, and other activities that go on during the weekend. If a student wants to go off campus, there is a lot to do in Raleigh, such as go to a club or go out to eat. There are so many different activities that one can do on campus.

If you ask me, the population of our school makes every student group popular! With over 300 student organizations and more than 33,000 students, every club or organization has a hefty amount of members. Personally, I have joined student groups focused on professional development, as well as social groups for the shear fun of meeting other students like myself. In addition to these organizations, there are also a ton of university wide activities that bring everyone together. My favorites include Wolfpack Welcome Week, the Pan Afrikan Festival, Camping Out for NCSU v. UNC Basketball Tickets, Shack-a-Thon, and the Krispy Kreme Challenge. If you ask me, every weekend is a good weekend at NCSU, you just have to decide what's on your agenda.

Some of the most popular activities on campus would have to be the athletic events. The athletic events allow for everyone to come together for one cause, to support NC State. During football season all you will see in the stands is a sea of red and white and it is such a good feeling seeing all of the support for our school. There is even a good support system for the non-revenue sports, implemented by the Student Wolfpack Club, one of the biggest organizations on campus. With so many different organizations being available to join on campus, it has hard to say what is the most popular. I think it all depends on what you would prefer to do. There is ALWAYS something going on here on campus.

Fraternity and Sorority's are pretty big on campus. Its hard to say which because there are so many. Being involved with Mu Beta Psi I tend to deal mainly with the Music Department. We do the set ups and strikes at most of the concerts that are held on campus. It depends on what dorm your in as to who leaves their doors open. Athletic events are poplular, if we're doing well. I'm pretty sure the guest speakers are popular and so are the theatre productions. Um..the dating scene...you have to get out and meet people. I met my boyfriend in my first (ever) college class, and we've been dating ever since. If I were awake at 2am on a Tueday, then I'm most likely cramming for a test.