North Carolina State University at Raleigh

« See more reviews of North Carolina State University at Raleigh

Make sure that you tour the University or college that you plan on attending, and make sure that you visit multiple places. In addition be sure to think outside the box when deciding on where to apply. Even though out of state may be more expensive don't rule out the option because there may be a great University that has the location, degree, and extracurricular options that you would thrive with. Finding a University is not about going for the reputation of the school, but more about finding the right match for your needs, goals, and talents. I was going to go to UNC Chapel Hill but when I visited I got a weird vibe. There is no better way to explain it, but when I went to NC State I felt comfortable and almost at home. I could see myself going there for four years and feeling comfortable. I also was inducted into a dual degree program which made the large University setting scale down into a more personalized acceptance. You should go where you are not treated like a number, but as an individual that will benefit the growth and progress of the University.

The best advice I could give to parents about helping their student choose a college would be to listen to what the student wants, and not depend so much on what they want their student to do. After all, it's the student attending the college, and they should be happy with their choice. Students need to focus on what kind of majors are offered, the size of the campus and number of attending students, athletic and extracurricular activities available, location, and expense of their choice colleges. To make the most of college experience, I'd personally recommend living on campus at least the first year. You can meet so many people and be closer to what main campus has to offer such as tutoring or dining halls, and it kind of sets the stage for college life. It would also be a good idea to get involved in something other than classes. Find a club or a fraternity/sorority or some kind of extracurricular activity you really enjoy. It takes the stress out of always being bogged down with school work. However, do not let your social life get in the way, be sure to study!

The first thing that I would tell a prospective college student or their parent would be to do the proper research and take the time out, so that they could make the right decision. This is a giant decision that will affect their lives for at least the next four years. When making the decision on what college fits your student, you should take a number of factors into consideration such as tuition, campus lifestyle, academic standing, willingness to provide financial aid, weather, etc. Once you make the hopefully correct decision and you have arrived on campus, you should make the most of your college experience. During your freshman year you have to realize that there are loads of freshman who are new to the school as well and are eager to meet new people. Establishing friends and networking with people in your major is the most important thing to your success during your college career. The other thing I would recommend would be to get involved in extra-curricular activities during your freshman year before the workload increases during the latter semesters.

There are 3 crucial things that I would say to my former high school self in order to make the transition to college a lot easier. One important thing would be to enjoy your last year of high school instead of excessively worrying about your GPA and what others think about you. In college, everybody starts over in terms of GPA, class rank, and social status so your last year in high school should be fun instead of stressful. Another crucial thing that I would tell my senior self would be to not be afraid to think outside of the box and step out of your comfort zone. As a college student, you will realize that your most memorable experiences will involve doing things that you never thought you would. Stepping outside of your comfort zone will also open up opportunities to grow and form lasting friendships. The last and most imperative thing is to create time for yourself to relax because you will sometimes feel overwhelmed by the workload in college. Do something to relieve that stress so you don't drive yourself crazy. It will all be worth it in the end, trust me.

There are many things that I would tell myself now If I could travel back in time. I would encourage myself to enroll into more difficult classes in order to help place myself in a better position when I go of to college. I feel that I didn't challenge myself enough. I would tell myself to put my personal relationship aside, so that I could of accomplish more in school. I regret not doing so because the relationship ended and it affected my education and family life. One of the biggest difference that I would make would be by making myself become a part of the student government. For now I know that being in these organizations, they prepare you and also provide you with resources to help you suceed not only in high school, but also provide opening for you in college. Also, I would tell myself is that I should develop better relationships with all my teachers. I was intimidated by alot of my teachers, but now I know that they were only there to help me become a better person. Overall there's a list of things I would of changed, but these are most significant!

Find a college thats right for you, not for your friends or boyfriend, or even your parents. Even if those other people really like the college and want you to go there, YOU are the one who has to sit through the classes, do the work and make the grades to get where you want to go. Figure out what motivates you most before you start searching, this will help you narrow it down. And make a list of things that you absolutely must have and another list of things you cannot deal with, especially things like size of the college, importance of sororities, extracurriculars available, etc. Classes and curriculums offered are very important, but you also have to be able to live and have fun at your college of choice, or else the whole experience will be unpleasant. For the parents, let your kids decide their top schools, then help them examine the perks and drawbacks. And go VISIT the schools, it makes a big difference. But be sure to leave the final decision up to your student because, regardless of your opinions, once they get to college, it will all be up to them.

You can't stay the same and thrive. You musn't focus on potential mistakes or losses because it requires too much of your energy when what was no longer exists. It is fuel for what will be. The unexpected and the unprepared for should be anticipated because it's the way the world helps us grow. Your ability to respond to change is the only certainty in your life. Awareness is everything, Hillary. You are going to realize that you don't know very much, but as tough as this is, it puts you in a position to do some serious learning which is exactly what you need to do. And you will find you don't have to know it all because when you confront your limitations, you open up to a new level of learning. Keep in mind also, experiences alone don't add value to your life. Instead, it is the insight gained from reflecting on those experiences that is valuable. Socrates said, "the unexamined life is not worth living." Reflective thinking helps piece together the big picture of life. Don't be afraid to fall. What you learn in life's struggles, everyone learns.

un buen consejo que me daria a mi misma seria, no haber estudiado en una escuela vocacional , ya que gracias a eso no tuve una buena base de clases importantes que hoy dia en la universidad me sirven para lo que estudio y entre las clases que no coji estuvo las quim. mat. , biologia y la fisica aparte a todo eso si me viera en una silla de clases para aquel entonces me dijera que tengo que aprovechar el tiempo al maximo y que cada segundo que pasa y no lo uso para aprender me perjudica y me atrazo cuando estaba en escuela superior como no tenia presion trabaja a ultima hora , pero ahora que estoy en la universidad con clases que nunca a habia cojido como las matematicas y quimica se me hacen muy complicadas y tengo que dedicarle mas tiempo que a las demas, para aquel entonces necesitaba estudiar , enfocarme y dedicarle mas tiempo a los estudios y crear habitos de estudio. si volviera atraz eso seria las cosas que cambiaria para poder ser una mejor estudiante de lo que soy ahora y que e logrado con mucho esfuerzo , dedicacion y muchas horas de estudio .

I would take college classes in high school and prepared for college more than i was now. I wished I had known as a high school student hat getting a C in college is almost like getting an A in high school- almost. What I mean is that when you write a paper for the first time and get it back graded, you will most likely only receive a C, because your writing abilities are still that of a high school senior. Do not panic and start calling yourself stupid! Getting a C on your first written assignment is actually good- you are doing average college level work. You still have time to improve your overall final grade by talking with your professor’s and getting constructive criticism. You must responsible and independent, don’t give in to the temptation to skip and Have fun, but don't party too hard. Don't take too many classes first semester. As soon as you get the syllabus, put the exam/project dates on a calendar. Need to learn how to manage your time. High school is so structured and you have developed a habit for that system. College is completely opposite .

When you get the chance to study abroad for a semester take it. However, remember that when you come home stronger in independence and cultural diversity , but further away from those you were connected to before do not distance yourself and shut down. Rather you need to make sure you stay connected and stay focused on finishing your last year of college. It is almost like the old Girl Scout song, you can make new friends but keep the old. Remember they all have something to teach and give. This goes the same for your goals, they may shift but the main goal cannot. You cannot be happy, keep respect of yourself and others, or hold a good job in your future without that piece of paper that says you graduated from an accredited college. You are in a good school, you are doing well, keep focused and finish your degree, no matter what it takes, the first time. You may not agree with all of the teachers or your family but you must stay true to your started goal in order to keep from regretting decisions made in your early twenties for the rest of your life.