North Dakota State University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of North Dakota State University-Main Campus

I would tell parents and students that the student should make sure they tour plenty of schools that they are interested, do not just settle on a college that is close to home. Most importantly, however, the student needs to apply for as many scholorships as possible. During my first year, I did not think that this was a very important part of college, but now in my fourth year, I realize how important scholorships are to college life. Without scholorships, the student may have to get a job outside of school, and that cuts into their schoolwork time. If you have enough scholorships, you have one less thing to worry about and can focus on buying the right textbooks, study guides, and spening your time on studies.

Choosing the right college can be a difficult process, but you should choose a college that you can see yourself on day after day. Not only that but it should hold some qualities that match your interests. The only way one can make the most of their college experience, in my mind, is by having fun. It is true that you are here to learn and go to class, but one should also get out and experience eveything that the campus has to offer them. You will learn things that you would never be able to learn in a classroom. You will make friends that will last forever and will have many memories to look back on. College is said to be the best years of your life, why not take advantage of everything it has to offer you?

Pick a college that you like the area/town around it. If you want to be close to home or not is very important. A visit will let you know how you feel when on campus and tell you about the kind of people that attend that university. Size and acedemics is very important in consideration and what the campus has to offer you. There is always someone there to help with classes or non-school related problems, you just have to look for assistance! Remember why you're attending college so work and study hard. Don't worry about things and make friends with your professors!!! Be in as many organizations and activities as possible becuase there are so many resources available through them as well as meeting great people!

Advice is usually a tricky thing to give. Every person's life is different and each individual goes through different challenges in life. There are a few pieces of advice that I can give, though. The first is for the parents: Don't push any certain school on your child if that is not their first choice. This happened to me and I spent one schoolyear in a place that I did not want to be and it was a miserable experience. My second piece of advice is for the prospective students: Apply to as many schools as you want and choose your favorite. There's no use in going to a school where you really don't want to be. And don't worry about making friends, there will be friends for you at any school you attend.

I would advise myself to separate myself from my family and my friends a little sooner than I did it would have made the transition so much easier. It would have been less painful, although still painful. I also would advise myself to get help from teachers and not go home much. Teachers are a great asset to your college experience they don't just help you in class, but can serve as references for jobs. Not going home as much would better acclimate you to being away from friends and family. Meet as many people as you can just go talk to anyone no one will think it's weird. Stay in contact with high school friends but not too many because that will just make more ties to home instead of cutting those ties.

Through my college experience i have learned study skills, social skills, and a desire to achieve whatever i put my mind to. In highschool I did not study much. School came easy for me and I was not challenged enough to feel the need to study, but since coming to NDSU I have been challenged and ultimately I have learned how to learn. My social skills have been strengthened through meeting new people and working on group projects in class, as well as being involved in campus events. My deisre to achieve has grown because NDSU is good at helping me to see my potential and push me towards success which motivates me to succeed. Not only academics but in my recreation, my personal life, and in helping others.

I would check the university's accredibility, their success rate of graduates finding jobs after graduation. The total package that comes with the college, (what everyone in general thinks about the school). How much has tuition risen in the last few years. The past enrollment, has it been up or down, steady in one direction. what is the universities plans for the future. Do they have what you need to become successful in whatever field you are interseted it, do they have a secondary field you would also like to go into, if you end up not liking your first choice. Things like that. Last thing, visit the campus and think 4 years down the road and go with your gut feeling. Good luck.

I would advise myself to take more college-geared classes in high school. When I first got to North Dakota State University I had no clue how to study, and I didn't know where to go for help. I would also tell myself don't be afraid to go to tutor, needing extra help does not mean your any less intelligent. Everybody needs help from time to time and tutors relieve some of the stress from your life. I would also tell myself when doing college visits to sit in on a class and see how the atmosphere feels. And lastly I would tell myself to visit as many schools as possible, I only visited one, you never now if one school would have been an excellent fit if you only visited one university.

Not to be afraid of change, and push yourself to full potiental. Dont be afriad to ask questions, everybody is there to learn. Dont be worried about what everybody else gets on their test, only achieve better then you did the last time. Your in a race of your own, and only you can make yourself better if you want to. Dont be scared to meet new people, go out more and push out of your bubble, and be open to new cultures. Volunteer lots and more doors will open in the future. Its a big stepping stone, and looks scary but push hard and know who you are and be open to the world, its yours to explore and learn from. Enjoy the little things they go by much faster then we realize!

College is not as scary as everyone makes it out to be; in high school everyone made the transition to college a HUGE deal and made it seem like it would be extremely difficult. In reality, I adjusted to college very quickly. College also turned out to be much easier than I had expected; I still have to work hard for my grades but I was not expecting to be able to maintain a 4.00 GPA when I started college (so far, so good!). If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to "RELAX!!" and to not panic because college is not impossible; it is completely manageable and is the best time of your life once you adjust.