Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

I think that their are some great teachers at NAU, but there is also bad ones. I believe that if a teacher is teaching ed majors, they should be good at teaching. Education major is overall good, but some advisers are not helpful and you can't get the classes you need because there are so many people trying to get in to the class as well.

Many professors know student by name, which is great. I am a journalism major, and I am really greatful for the awesome student media center that NAU offers. The classes are challenging, but as long as you go to class and try your hardest, most of them are do-able.

Certain majors like forestry and Hospitality are very good and are what NAU specializes in. Some like biomed, can problably be found better somewhere else. That doesnt mean I havent had great teachers---because I have.

Class sizes are relatively small compared to other in-state university. Because of this, it's easy to get to know your professors and get individual help in the class. There's a lot of awesome professors too.

The professors are really good at getting to know the name of everyone of their students. The small classroom setting allows for a lot of student teacher one on one time, and the teachers seem to really care about their students. So far I have had a lot of favorite classes. Right now it would have to be my cooking class. My least would have to be Accounting, it was the class I have struggled with the most and it just didn't click with me! There is a lot of class participation going on, as well as a lot of group work and activities. I absolutely love my major, which is Hotel and Restaurant Management. I would say it is smaller than the other majors here, which makes it easy to get to know a lot of people in my major. Everyone is very friendly, and there are a lot of clubs for it that you can join. There are definitely a lot of opportunities my major offers to make connections which makes it easier to have a job lined up when you graduate, as well as a lot of opportunities to meet with recruiters.

About 90% of my professors know my name. The entry level classes are larger so those professors never got to know me. My favorite classes are psychology classes however I am an accounting and finance major. I both my majors students study together a lot and most of our projects are group work. Class participation is very common among the business college. The most unique class I've taken is the snowboarding class. It was a great experience. I am a business major. I absolutely love the college. We have our own pods to work in with groups and it helps us to get group work done. The accounting professors are better than the finance professors but all around they are good. I spend some time with professors outside of class in their office hours. The accounting program is geared towards getting a job and learning. It is a rigorous course outline but in the end its worth it. Overall I love being a student at NAU.

My academics at school are top-notch as far as I am concerned. Other people in my college seem to have fairly decent grades on average, but there is the few classes and few students who seem to be exceptions to this.