Northern Arizona University

« See more reviews of Northern Arizona University

If I could go back in time to sit down and give myself advice, I would tell myself to go to college right after high school. I would tell myself that my mother was wrong, and that I could support myself with the scholarships that I was given, and that I could make it on my own. I would tell myself not to miss the opportunity to experience the full college and dorm experiences, because once that chance passes, it is MUCH harder to go back. I would tell myself that if I did not go, my life would turn out alright, but I would always have the question in the back of my mind... What if? What if I had gone straight to NAU when I graduated high school? What would my life me like now? What experiences and friends would I have had, and would I already be the high school counselor I want to be? I would tell myself to enjoy the entire experience, to have faith that things will turn out right, and to not let anyone hold me back!

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, there would be some very wise advice to share. First off, I would tell myself to apply for scholarships all throughout senior year to financially help out. Along with that I would tell myself that grades are a very important factor in determining which schools I am eligible for. Telling myself that college is a lot different than what is expected would starighten out my priorities in getting college applications done. The SAT/ACT is an important aspect that colleges look for, so telling myself to study and take them really seriously would be another good piece of advice. The last piece of advice would be that college may seem easy and a waste of time, however it helps with figuring out what to do for a career and how the rest of your life plays out. Assuming that I would take my adivce, I would be more prepared for the obstacles that college has in store.

If I could go back in time to when I was a know it all high school senior I would take myself by the ear and sit myself down . I would say, I want you to listen to what I have to say because I am your future speaking. First, I want you to understand that I knoe you want to enjoy your last year in High School, but there is so very much more ahead of you if you can just open your eye's and your heart. I want you to go and speak to your senior councilor about any scholarship's that you can apply for now and in the future. I also want you to understand that your parent's are on your side. It may feel form time to time that your parent's are out to get you and to spoil your fun, but all they want for you is to br the best, and help you get to where you want to go. I really hope you ear begins to feel better, but each time you touch your ears ,remember what I just told you. Now go out ther and change the world.

So let me give you some advice. -Don't rush into everything. Take your time to enjoy yourself. -It's going to be hard to adjust. You will miss home, but you'll be okay. -And you know what? Being an adult isn't fun all the time. You have to go to class. Get a job. You don't always get to do what you want to... But it's going to be fine. -Growing up is scary, just take a deep breath and let it happen. You never know what can happen. You may fall in love, you may fall out of love. It's a whirlwind experience, just enjoy it. -College is meant to be fun, but it also prepares you for the "real" world. Be prepared to not know what you're doing. -Get it through your thick head that you're not always right. Bite your tongue. It will save you from fights and heartache. -However, stand up for who you are. This is where you learn what you truly believe in. -Finally, Mom was right. She was always right. Remember that.

I would incourage students and/or parents to find a school where you would feel the most comfortable with the type of students that go there as well as the surroundings. Most all schools have good education programs, so if the schools one is looking at already has a good education program and professers, then really one of the most important things is for the student to be comfortable in their surroundings. The way the weather is is something that can really be a downer or upper for the student and social life and activities are another thing that can really effect one's college experiance. Also making the most out of college is a must. I would advise to do as many school activites and attend as many events as one can, because you only have this college experiance once in one's life, so definatly do not waste it. A student should really saviour the time they spend and the things they learn while at college.

Keep an open mind. I thought I knew everything at 18, now, at 22, I realize I don't know anything. The more you learn to more the world opens up to you, so keep an open mind about everything! It is so easy to misdirect adolecent zeal into specific ideas or frames of mind, but youth is the only time that you are free to experience anything and everything. If you have the chance live it up, and just say yes! You will make mistakes, but you will learn so much more from making mistakes then doing it all right, and now is the time to discover what works and what doesn't. Be open to all the new people you will meet, but remember that almost everyone in college is trying to find themself, so if one of your friends suddenly becomes someone else be open to it. It is a time for openness, experiementation and freedom. Enjoy now, so that you can become a stable, contributing member of society latter in life! HAVE FUN!!!

I have learned from my college experience so far is independance on not knowing anyone when arriving I learned to be able to do everything on my own and not have that friend there to also give her oppinion. I learned how to venture into differen't types of groups which will be great for my carree so I will be able to interact well with any type of person I work with. I also, got into new activities which is always a good experiance for me it was rugby I learned a lot about it and helped me understand how to interact as a team with girls I have never met before I went to the first practice. I have also, learned what hard work actually is, I mean yeah I went to high school but I can admit I was not the best student. I learned how much hard work can pay off and how much you do get when you put that hard work in. I have learned a lot from the differn't learning techniqes that I was not use to in high school.

I would tell prospective students and their parents that going to community college first is a viable alternative to going straight into a 4 year university. If you aren't sure what you would like to get you're degree in, going to a 4 year university can potentially waste a lot of time and money. Also, it helps to speak to a college counseler before you enroll in classes each semester so that you can make sure you are still on track to graduate in four years. Having a job while in college is also beneficial, if you have the time while going to school, having a job teaches you to manage you're time more wisely as well as teach you financial responsibility. Last but not least, look around for grants and scholarships and fill out a FAFSA, there is money out there for students who want to work for it. It can make the cost of college impact you and you're parents a lot less, saving you money in the long run.

The difference between your expectations and reality are very minimal. You are completely on your own, and every consequence you can think of stemming from that one statement is most likely true. Everything, ranging from what to have for breakfast to how many student loans to take out is 100% your decision. It is overwhelming, but not unexpected. My advice would be to keep your eye on the ball, and not the one closest to you. Keep an eye on THE ball. Your absolute ULTIMATE END GOAL. It is not an A in chemistry. It is not acceptance to the most prestigious university. It is you and your life planned out and visualized exactly how you want it to be. You are at the starting line, and, no doubt, there are plenty of obstacles in the way of the finish line. But with your eyes firmly set on what you want, and the endurance to get from A to B no matter what it takes, everything seems to just fall into place.

If I could go back to High School, I would tell myself to take as many dual-credit classes as I can. I would tell myself to do research to see the course outline for my Major so I would not waste time and money on dual credit classes that would not count toward my degree. I would apply for more scholarships and not buy as many things for my dorm because I did not need them all. I would convince myself to join a sorority because it is where I have made most of my friends. I would convince myself to pay the extra money for a double room instead of triple dorm room so I could avoid conflict with my third roommate. I would tell myself to make more time to spend with my family instead of friends and to make sure they all know that I love and appreciate them because I will no longer get to see them everyday. Lastly, I would tell myself that NAU is the right place for me and that I am going to have a blast.