Northern Illinois University

« See more reviews of Northern Illinois University

I wish someone told me that your social and partying life will be highly dependent upon the people you meet and get to know. So, if you don't know any fun people, you'll probably do what I did and just write your papers and chill in the dorm most of the time. It is NOT a given that you will be at every party that is thrown your freshman year. Moral of the story: This generation needs to put their phones down and stop being so anti-social so the not-so-anti-social people, like me, will have more amazing friends and fun memories. Please and thank you.

I wish I had known how much of a commuter school it was. It's only an hour away from the city of Chicago, so usually campus is really dead on the weekends. Also, I wish I knew how focused much of the school was on the business and engineering colleges. These colleges both are provided with the best computer labs, newest buildings, and resources. Whereas, for example, the building for liberal arts and sciences, where my area of study is focused, is old, outdated... with limited resources to computers.

I wish I had known how chaotic registration was and how the counselors have no idea what they are talking about. I have been attending the Hill College Cleburne Campus and no one knows what they are doing everyone runs around like chickens with their heads cut off! Most of the time they can?t finish my paper work for financial aid so I get dropped from my classes. In January I will move to the Hillsboro campus so I'm sure the experience will be much better because it is the main campus.

I wish I knew that the work would be more crucial. I don't feel that the work is harder, but you have to be more involved in it. I've learned that in college the goal is to "understand." In high school it is sort of forced upon you to just "remember" material. Remembering can sometimes be a short time thing, and what is the point of remembering if you don't understand the concept.

I wish I had a better grasp on community events and on the public transportation provided at the school. For the firs couple of weeks, I often found myself somewhat lost and confused. I definitely wish I had paid more attention to campus maps and the bus lines. It is also important to go out into the community and assimilate in order to make sure you have an enjoyable experience.

I wish that before I came to this school, I had better study skills. I also wish that I would've known how to study better and stay focused. I now know that it takes a lot out of a person to stay focused and be able to be the best possible student I could be and thats what I'm currently doing. I'm being a focused, college bound student.

How helpful applying to scholarships can be, and how important it is to regularly check-in with your advisors. Scholarships help you with all the unforeseen expenses as well as tuition. Scheduling appointments with your advisors keeps you on track, and can lead you to the easiest, quickest path to your goals.

I wish I would have known I wanted to go to medical school as a freashmen becuase that would have made my time management and planning much more effective and my life a lot easier for the past four years. If you can try and pick something you are passionate about and go for it full force as soon as you can.

That it is harder than you think. Once you get to the college of your choice, you have to work hard at school to keep your grades and everything up. Other than that it is a learning experience when you get to school, a fun one. So there is nothing else that I would change.

I wish I would have gotten involved sooner on my campus rather than later in my college experience. I became involved in Gamma Phi Omega Int'l Sorority Inc, and I have loved every minute of it. I only wish I would have joined earlier in my college years rather than later.