Northern Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Northern Kentucky University

The worst thing I would consider about my school is there is not alot of diversity. I consider this the worst thing because miniorites here feel as if they dont belong. Since there are no programs geared to them, they feel left out and tend to transfer colleges. If Northern Kentucky University had activities and clubs that were geared to minorites their retentiton rate would be a lot better. As a freshman entering a new environment I would like to be around more people like me until I feel comfrotable away from home but NKU doesnt have that.

The worst thing about our school is its facilities. For the amound of students that attend our school the facilities are insufficient. The recreation center is too small and is almost always packed. The housing facilities are old, run down, and could definitely use some renovating. We have 16,000 students who currently attend are school, eighty-five percent are probably commuters, yet there are still students who are forced to park in gravel parking lots. Lastly, our campus is not attractive, it lacks artistic touch and variety.

I think the worst thing about my school, at the moment, would just be the updating of new technology and not really explaining it well enough to faculty and staff that are supposed to use it. Many times I have gone into a class where we need to use new projectors to watch a movie or show a powerpoint, and they do not know how to work it if something goes wrong. Each classroom is set up different too, so that does not help if they only know how to use one kind of machine and have a different classroom.

I live 20 minutes away in Cincinnati and have to pay out of state tuition. This is unfair because Cincinnati, Newport and Highland Heights are all the same place in most people's minds. Students from Eastern Kentucky, hours away, get tuition deals while I do not. Another thing that is dumb is that NKU is a dry campus. College kids drink no matter what the rules are... so why have a dry campus rule. All this does is get the kids in more trouble then they really need too. Let the kids have fun!!!

To be honest, I really can't think of anything negative about NKU. Our school strives to make improvements for the school itself, as well as the students. For example, a new dorm building is being built to accommodate our growth, our recreation center is undergoing improvements, meal plans have been positively altered, programs and courses are being adjusted, etc. With all of these improvements and goals to further better the University, there are hardly any negative aspects to find.

The worst thing about Northern Kentucky University is it is very overwhelming. Now, that could be just because I am a freshman and a new school is a big deal. But I think it's overwhelming because there is so much to do, from taking classes to clubs you can join. Also, the greek life is very strong at NKU. But I would rather be given these opportunites and be overwhelmed because if you take advantages of these opportunities it could help your personal success in the long run.

The worst thing about NKU is that it is a concrete jungle! There isn't really much to look at besides concrete buildings although they are currently in the process of building some new buildings that are not so ugly to look at. Since it is a concrete jungle and up on a hill it makes campus like a wind tunnel so it can be about 10 degrees colder on camput than what the weather report says it is.

While they try their best to keep a large number of student positions available, the fact is that NKU is expanding far faster than their employment opportunities are; in short, it can be difficult to find work on or around campus. If you're willing to commute a bit, Cincinnati isn't too far away, and the diversity of jobs on campus is still very good (especially for CIT majors!).

The worst thing about NKU is definitely the lack of parking spaces. If you live on campus and happen to have evening classes, don't even think about getting parking spot that isn't a quarter mile away next to a Skyline. Also be prepared to get to classes early just to spend all your extra time looking for a parking space making you late to class despite your valiant efforts.

I never realized how many students actually attend NKU. For me smaller classes are a better way to learn and I didn't realize how big the classroom sizes were. There are some classes you will take with 20 students, then there are other classes you take and there will be 100 students. It is a balance you need to find if you learn better in a smaller classroom setting.