Northern Michigan University

« See more reviews of Northern Michigan University

My university drew itself to me because of the surrounding town, Marquette, Michigan. It is located in the upper peninsula and surrounded by thousands of acres of forests. The city and the people are also beautiful. The city is old and quaint and walking down the street, strangers will say hello and smile. There is a very strong sense of community between the students on campus and the people of the city. The school is medium size and because of the size there are many opportunities for student research and an ability to closely know professors and the administration.

I believe that opportunity is the best thing about NMU. There are plenty of options for internships no matter what your major is. The school is also very connected with the Marquette community so students are able to get inolved on several levels, not restricted to school programs. The professors are very helpful and personable as well, which is something I didn't get a lot of at my previous college. Aside from educational opportunity Marquette is a haven for the outdoors. There are countless things to do off campus to provide students with social and recreational fun.

The best thing about Northern Michigan University is the atmosphere and surroundings of the school. The school itself makes you feel comfortable and at home, while Marquette is a great place to enjoy nature. On the weekends your options are not limited to partying and confined to the city life, but you can go hiking, camping, exploring, and many other outdoor activities that allow your mind to relax. Having the ability to enjoy the outdoors while attending a university allows students such as myself to find who they are in the world and obtain an education.

There is many things that I love about NMU. The major thing that really drew me in his how much everyone cares about your success. There is tutoring services for every class. If you every need help there is somewhere you can go to get it. Before I attened NMU I visited other school around the area. NMU was by far the school for me where I can go anywhere and get an answer. If I'm not given a direct answer, I'm put on a path that will reach sucess.

A great aspect of Northern Michigan University is its intelligent and incredible faculty, especially within the art department. The professors that I have been privledged to know have been supportive and understanding. They are quick to offer advice and are eager to guide their students on their educational journeys. They go above and beyond their basic duties in order to guarentee students and satisfactory experience and a full education.

The size of the campus and classes. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I first started, and being able to choose a variety of classes helped me narrow that down. Smaller class sizes helped me connect with my professors in a way that I don't think would be possible at a larger school. You are more than just a number and a GPA to them-- you are their student, and they want you to succeed and be happy.

I think the best thing about my school is the people. The individuals at my college (faculty, staff and students) are incredible people. They are very open-minded and make you feel comfortable with yourself physically and emotionally. I think that is really important to a healthy college life is feeling good about yourself. People are great there.

The best thing about my school is the variety of activities it offers. If you want to learn more or try a new activity they most likely have a program or a person you can talk to. I've tried many new activities here and not all are offered through the school, but through the word of mouth such as Black Rocks cliff jumping and hiking trails.

The best thing about NMU is the overall environment. I felt as if I fit in right away, and I was certain that Northern was the place for me. Everyone is very welcoming and friendly. The campus is gorgeous; I can see Lake Superior from the Academic Mall. The school is not too big, but still offers every opportunity one could want.

Apart from the great academics, the natural environment at Northern is insupassable. There is much to entertain as far as outdoor recreation goes and the school is very active in the area. Students can find great hiking, kayaking/canoeing, cliff jumping, and biking areas literally just out the back door.