Northern Michigan University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northern Michigan University

Wonderful place to start my future. Everyone was very helpful during my campus visit. I wasn't sure what to expect being 8 hours away from home, but this college has so many opportunities. I love the esthetician department the most. I am excited to meet new people and have fun learning.

Northern Michigan University is comprised of a laid-back atmosphere with caring professors. While it does snow quite a bit throughout the year, it is manageable. The community is a great asset and while a real shopping center is three hours away, it doesn't hinder day-to-day life.

Amelia

I love it and I'm so excited to be going there beginning fall semester. The people are amazing, the food is good, and there is a never ending list of things to do. There's something for everyone and I'm excited to meet new people with new ideas and experiences. And NMU offers me that opportunity.

I feel welcome here, everyone talks to everyone. People you don't even know will say hi as you pass. It's a very positive environment and there is always someone you can talk to. I wouldn't have chosen another place to go.

Shelby

It is a really nice community, with lots of opportunities for involvement as long as your willing to put yourself out there. There are a lot of great places to adventure not very from campus. Marquette is a perfectly sized town to go shopping in if you're not in the mood to be very active. It's a very safe environment, everyone seems so friendly :)

Brendan

As a student at NMU, I personally fell in love with the school after my first day. The people are warm and welcoming, it isn't unusual to have people holding doors for people, you'll see your professors around campus and they will greet you by name. the classes themselves are very in-depth and thought provoking. what makes Northern unique is their location, yes it is in the Upper Peninsula, but you are less than a mile away from the most beautiful rock formations, hiking, and waterfronts in the state. What has stuck with me is the high amount of care the campus has towards mental health, there isn't a day when I don't get asked how my mental health is doing, there are many resources such as counseling, therapy groups, support groups, and even sun lamps. Northern Michigan University truly cares about it's students and encourages them to go outside their comfort zone . For instance, I am apart of Greek life and we volunteer on behalf of the school all the time and we take great pride in our school and successes not only as a group, but as a community.

Theresa

Plunging into a frigid Lake Superior in November will momentarily distract anyone from his or her daily stresses. At Northern Michigan University, you will never be at a loss or alone when you are trying to figure out how to boost your spirits and take a breather from the daily grind. Experiences similar to that ice cold moment in Lake Superior, will be one of many that stick with you from your time at NMU. If you want to jump in an ice cold lake one minute but find a tranquil place to study the next minute, you will not only be successful but you will have a new friend laughing and studying right alongside you. And when you aren’t happily lost on an adventure with a friend or studying next to a waterfall, you will be throwing on your Wildcat gear and hiking down to the Berry Events Center to cheer on the hockey team. Northern Michigan University boosts students’ spirits by creating an environment which encourages academic success, mental and physical well-being, and comradery among all students. In regard to academics, students will be challenged yet have the resources to excel. Student’s strong mental and physical health is supported by on-campus counselors and clubs. Comradery among students is attainable and exciting due to the strong sense of community that the campus and dorms strive to achieve. The benefits of NMU are endless; however, one should not be naive and expect NMU to be flawless. The winters that far north are not for the faint of heart but if you can find a way to embrace the negative temperatures you will find yourself in a snowball fight with your suite-mates. Additionally, if you are not a Packer or Lions fan you may find yourself holding your own as you shout at the tiny dorm TV on those Sunday fall afternoons. In all seriousness, NMU is an inviting university that will challenge you and expose you to new opportunities, like jumping in Lake Superior in the middle of November.

NMU is in a beautiful area, there is so much to do outdoors. I have had good experiences and excellent professors. The reason I only rated Northern Michigan University 3 out 5 is because lately it has felt like the university has been overcharging and putting unnecessary fees to overcharge students because of their debt. Even with these extra charges it does not feel like equipment and supplies are being updated, rather the money is getting poured into the presidents office. Besides these issues, the professors are hands on and very involved, and there are countless opportunities to improve your learning.

Tyler

My overall opinion of Northern Michigan University is that I think it is one of the best colleges a student can go to. We have the 2nd lowest public tuition in the state of Michigan, our class sizes are small so teachers can help students learn better and we even have our own LTE network that lets you connect to the college network without being on campus. There is so much I could describe out NMU, I could probably write a book about NMU.

Kasey

I fell head over heals for Northern within my first couple weeks of moving to the U.P.. Being originally from lower Michigan, I thought that all the Yoop had to offer was trees, trees, and more trees. That's not totally inaccurate, but Northern stands out; it's a true diamond in the rough. Marquette (the city where Northern is located) is probably the safest place I have ever lived. There are a handful of different law enforcement agencies, but they aren't aggressive or overly active. The strong police presence combined with a large local community that's accommodating and warm, makes new comers feel welcome right away. I've walked all over the city at all different hours of the day/night and never felt unsafe. Everyone is always looking out for each other, on and off campus. The longer you live here the smaller the town gets, and it becomes hard to go anywhere without running into someone you know or at least recognize. One of Northern's most appealing qualities is the surrounding opportunities for outdoor recreation. There are 100's of miles of well maintained bike paths, and forest hiking/biking trails. Plus, Lake Superior is just a few blocks from campus. Northern is like a grown-ups playground and a safe haven for young adults to grow and become involved in the community. The class rooms are usually very small, so the professors get to know the their students really well. Finally, the resources are nearly endless; whether you need something for your degree or you want to explore outside of your field, Northern gives a plethora of options.

The beauty of Marquette is reflected within this university. The close knit majors allow you to make life long friends and develop relationships with your professors. My program is the best because of the people. The professors at Northern are there solely for you and your continued education. I love the atmosphere that is created during the first week of classes. They are in the process of updating some dorm rooms and buildings that are taking the overall look of the university up a notch. The tuition unfortunately has gone up which may be the biggest con of attending there right now. I'm excited to reflect back on my experience and Northern and encourage others to go there and not just because it's close to home, but because it's going to be the best years of your life.

Northern is a fantastic place to become independent. There are endless resources on and off campus to support you. The surrounding community is extremely supportive. Being able to see the lake from campus and hike mountains that are less than ten minutes from school is like no other.

claire

i came to northern from Arizona and it honestly was such a welcoming community with great people. the classes and campus are nice and there is a lot to do and be involved in. with there being either college teams, recreational or club teams it makes the diversity well rounded.

Kyleigh

My grandfather went to NMU and just growing up hearing about how much he absolutely he loved his life there, makes me so excited to experience it myself! I have such a strong opinion about NMU that its simply, one of the best colleges you could go to.

Selena

I love it here. Everyone is very warm and welcoming. Plenty of people to be friends with but small enough classes that you know your professors on a personal level. It’s a fantastic school with plenty of opportunities. There are hundreds of clubs and intermural sports.

lauren

I was very surprised to learn what NMU has to offer students going into the fields of Neuroscience and Pre-medicine. There is great communication between these advisors and the students. NMU also has a Brain Tumor Center that is lucky to be partnered with the hospital to study different malignant tumors. Pre-medical students have the option to take a professional seminar where community doctors come and share their experiences with students.

Curtis

Northern Michigan University is truly a unique college experience, with small class sizes and professors who want to see you exceed it isn't tough to find help if you notice yourself falling behind. On campus eating is spread throughout the centralized campus. Though our sports teams and Greek community may not be the biggest there are plenty of student run organizations to take advantage of this pearl of an upper peninsula town that is Marquette. intramural sports and clubs allows for friendly competition while mountain biking, surfing, and climbing clubs allow you to explore the natural beauty of this place. Dorm life isn't the most luxury but they are building brand new dorms and there is plenty of off campus houses and apartments available.

steph

Northern should be investing their money into their professors, not remodeling. Tuition has gone up substantially, and it seems the increase is funding all of these new 'on campus housing', even though enrollment is down. I know a teacher at NMU who is also on welfare. Absolutely appalled. Will never donate to NMU.

Ryan

somethings that I love about Northern is that there is always something to do. you go five minutes away from campus in any direction and you'll get to an awesome hiking or biking trial or a beautiful beach or a sweet place to eat. I also love how involved you can be and how much goes on on the campus like plays and clubs and sports events. overall Northern is an amazing school and I couldn't see myself going anywhere else

Cassidy

Northern Michigan University is an outdoor school, mother superior is just feet away with never ending things to get yourself involved in (hiking trails, skiing hills, bike trails, fishing, and boating). And all of these activities can be easily done while still doing school work and being successful student. Also the people in Marquette and at the University are very welcoming and friendly (I definitely felt at home even coming from Minnesota). Lastly I have never felt more at place somewhere in my life it's very comforting.

Sydnie

8/10 overall rating. Northern is it's own little world, we are nestled in the heart of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There is beautiful scenery for camping, hiking, exploring, and various outdoor activities. Hammocking is a staple on campus and off, Presque Isle park is a regular hangout place for students and citizens alike. Lake Superior can be seen from almost all of the facilities on campus like the second and third floors of John X. Jamrich Hall, Forest Roberts Theatre, and the fine arts building. Northern is unique and a wonderful place to live. There isn't a day in the winter where you don't see a Stormy Kromer hat and flannel being worn by some over polite Yooper. The professors and TA's of campus and almost always helpful, sincere, and caring. The classroom sizes usually range from lectures of 150 or labs of 10-15 people, and everything in between. Financial Aid, Housing and Residence Life, and the Registrars Office are all accommodating and honest. Everyone is accepted here because everyone is mostly judgement free and easy going. I love living and going to college here.

Desiree

During my Orientation there I found it quite comfortable to find the classes I would be taking this fall and I was satisfied to see that all my classes are really close together and I don't have to worry about travelling to far to get to my classes. The campus is beautiful and feels homey as well as most of the students going there to achieve there goals and get there dream job!

Kailyn

I love Northern so much! There is a ton of student involvement EVERYWHERE you go! People are genuinely nice and it's really easy to make friends! The academics are rigorous, are preferred to be that way. The professors are all about the students are make sure they are almost always available! Northern has just an overall great atmosphere and it's a great community to be a part of.

Lynne

I personally loved NMU. It was an awesome place to learn academically and grow in my Christian walk. Class sizes are awesome for discussion, and the professors were all there to help you succeed. If like nature, NMU is a great place to be with all its variety of trees on campus, having Lake Superior at your door, Sugar Loaf Mountain to climb or Presque Isle to ride your bike. Finally, it did a great job preparing me for a master degree in history with the different experiences I had in my B.S. in history.

Tiffani

If you are looking for a college that specializes in environmental and science topics this is the one for you. The best part is that it is located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula; Gods Country! Going to school here is a dream come true and you seem to be teleported into pure nature untouched by humans.

meghan

When I came to visit the school I absolutley loved it. But once I got here, I had a very disturbing find. There's no diversity and everyone knows it. I really thought I was going to enjoy the extracurriculars, but cliques happen like they used to in junior and high school.

Cheyenne

I absolutely loved visiting this college! I really want to go there I felt so involved. The campus has a beautiful environment surrounding it. The dining hall had amazing food and so many options. The housing halls has their own unique atmospheres to them. Overall a very beautiful campus.

Baylee

It is an amazing school that offers so much other campuses do not. The studies that they have, that I am choosing to do will give me an educational base to become so much more. Its focus and the opportunities it has to offer are amazing. Northern Michigan University will help students excel not only in their intended major but in the life of being a student. Northern Michigan University is very well known for making sure undergraduate students succeed as it offers many programs and opportunities that can help get students the experience and knowledge needed for them to achieve their goals.

Maddie

I absolutely love it! The teachers are amazing. I love the environment. I love that it is right on the lake. I love that people are so extremely friendly. The small class size is great. Your instructors genuinely want you to succeed. I know that I will have an amazing career after Northern.

Noah

Northern Michigan University is a well established school that gives everybody a chance to be who they want to be and pursue their dreams of going to college and having the job of their dreams! NMU has some of the nicest and well rounded staff that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The students and Professors are highly respected and very respectful to one another. All around NMU is a great place to start your path to a brighter future.

Dinele

I love the school. I grew up in Marquette and can't imagine living any where else. I feel like I'm getting the best education possible and feel I will be prepared for the real world when I graduate. My teachers are all very helpful and understanding.

Nadia

Now for many of those who know me, I've always had a passion for science. Whether it be zoology, marine biology, oceanography, archeology (for like a day), biology, environmental science, and so on. So finding the right school for what I wanted to do was very important, and so it is for many other people. However, the two schools that I had the most interest in were quite a few miles away, making it financially hard for my family and I to tour the colleges. That’s why attending the upper peninsula trip with Upward Bound was very important to me and many others. We had the opportunity to get a glimpse of what the UP had to offer; we got to see the beauty of the UP when we traveled to Tahquamenon Falls along with being able to tour 4 colleges, two of which were colleges I was interested in. My mother and I were trying to visit Lake Superior State University and Northern Michigan University so I could make a decision, but I didn't think it was possible. This is something that frightened me because I didn't want to attend a school not knowing what the environment was like or what it looked like. So actually going to these different schools, touring them in person, and getting first hand experience as to what these schools were really like helped me make a decision on what school was best fit for me. However, Northern Michigan University stole my heart. As soon as I stepped foot on the campus, I was in awe. Not only was the nature around the school absolutely astonishing, but the atmosphere of the school was extremely welcoming. They offered a lot for students, especially for student involvement; they had many clubs that I was interested in, many programs that allowed people to interact with the environment, free laptops, study abroad, etc. Anyways, this trip had a big impact on my college decision. I had already loved the UP, but after this trip I fell in love with it even more. Overall, I am beyond grateful that I was able to have the experience of going on this trip. So thank you to whoever made it possible.

Northern Michigan University is uniquely situated in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, right on the shore of Lake Superior. Unlike many universities, NMU is located in a relatively small city of only about 30,000 people, and surrounded by national and state forests. Between Art on the Rocks on the lakeshore during the summer and the U.P. 200 Dog Sled Race in late winter, there is ALWAYS something to do or experience at Northern. To top off the outdoor activities, Northern Michigan University is one of the safest colleges in the nation, and no one really needs to fear for their safety at any time of the day or night either while on campus or in town. My first experience at NMU was back in 1999 as an incoming freshman fresh out of high school. While at that point in my life I was not ready to sit my rear down and get to work in class, I did love the area and the school, which impacted my decision to come back and attend 20 years later. I have been all over the country and the world, and could have chosen to go just about anywhere, but Northern has something special about it. It draws people in, and you never want to leave. Even though I had moved away and held a career elsewhere for years, my heart always wanted to go back to NMU and Marquette, Michigan. And I did. At the age of almost 40, I am pursuing my first bachelor's degree at Northern. The academics are on point- the instructors are always willing to work with you and engage, or help you out in an endeavor. NMU is affordable, with many different scholarships to apply for as well. But most of all it is a gem in the heart of the Upper Peninsula, away from the big too-busy cities. A place where students can get to know each other, relax, feel safe, and learn in an extraordinary environment with access to nature, outdoor activities, beautiful art, fantastic food, and good people.

Delaney

Northern is a very moderately priced university in a rural setting. It is more of a liberal arts based school with lots of clubs and extra curriculars to suit everyone's lifestyle. As you progress throughout your time here, the class sizes become smaller to really give you the best one on one experience. The on campus housing is very nice. Their new housing complex, "the Woods" is especially nice! There are co-ed halls and each room of 4 people have their own bathroom that they share, also with a nice common area for each hall to hang out! As for off campus housing, their are cute little townhouses that are nice, some are rundown but most are cute and have everything you need to live well. Being a visitor we didn't really get to try everything in the dining hall and all the little food shops around campus, but they have pretty good food! There is a wide variety of options and lots of yummy desserts too! All the buildings around campus have unique designs are really cool! The PEIF and Superior Dome are especially cool, being that the Dome is the largest wooden dome in the world. Overall I would say Northern is awesome school with many options for your major/minor, activities, and just adventuring around Marquette.

Kaleb

The experience I had that the young lady who did the tour was walking too fast. They lost my parents and one of my parents is disabled. Her Id didn't work in lot of the rooms. I just feel she should have done a run down to make sure the important areas were able to view. People come to far for apologies. People were from Texas and Wisconsin, and Swartz Creek area. She didn't even ask if we wanted water to drink after all that walking around. I like the school and the athletic area. I want to be apart of the wildcats. Visitation just wasn't cool at all. Hopefully my experience will be going better.

Bailey

I am not currently enrolled at Northern Michigan University, I am however a frequent visitor. My brother as well as several close friends attend, so I find myself hanging around campus and the dorms a lot. The dorms are pretty well maintained, they seem to have adequate space. The laundry rooms are convenient and free, at least in the halls I frequent. Parking is pretty disorganized, there seems to be the constant problem of residents and students unable to find parking spots. I’ve met some professors, and they seem professional and invested in their students. They are usually available when students have questions or need a little extra help. The food on campus is relatively good, decent variety, although after living there for a while the choices get boring. Overall I’d say NMU is a great school, and one of my top two choices when I graduate.

Celeste

Northern Michigan University (NMU) is the second cheapest public university in the state of Michigan. NMU is located in Marquette, MI, an extremely safe town located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. As a female student, I was always comfortable walking home from class or downtown at night. The academics at NMU are also top notch. I've received my Bachelor in the Science of Nursing degree and the skills learned at NMU have made me a competitive RN applicant all over the country.

Sydney

I will be attending NMU this coming Fall, I cannot express how excited I am to become a WILDCAT! This school is not only located in the beautiful Upper Peninsula of Michigan, but also provides an outstanding education and college life a student could ask for.

Alberto

To be honest about this school is that it's decent but not always the best. They constantly are using the money to build something that we don't actually need. The school is understaffed in professors and usually might not offer a class one semester but they will the next semester, so it can be frustrating sometimes when you need a class but it's not offered, but hey, school is the one who decides where the money goes. So that is really frustrating. But the community is a good one though, people are nice and friendly. The views awe many and everyone has many different opinions about things, but in the least it can be said that the campus is a safe place.

Sabrina

NMU is too expensive for what they have to offer. In fact, they just raised their tuition almost $1,000 per semester with absolutely nothing new to offer. Us students are paying $1,000 more each semester for all the same exact things that have been here the past 3 years that I have been here. The students assume that the president wanted to make a big purchase, so he raised tuition. This school does not care about you; it only cares about the money. It's in a horrible location that gets horrible snow storms. One student even froze to death last year and the university did nothing about it whatsoever. There is never anywhere to park, even though they make you buy a parking pass for $140. I even asked for a refund for my pass since I haven't been able to park on campus even one time this semester (it's week 5) because there are never any spots open. They sell way more passes than they have spaces. They SHOULD take our $70,000 extra we are paying collectively and build a parking garage with LEVELS to make the most of their limited space. Parking at NMU has always been trash and they have known and received many complaints (I know because I have complained and many other students have told me they have made complaints too). Even so, last year NMU cut one of their parking lots in half and sold the other half of the lot. Now, parking on campus is impossible. I hate NMU. If I could go back 3 years in time, I would NEVER choose to go here.

The education aspect of NMU is outstanding. The professors are outstanding and encourage learning more than anyone I have ever met. The housing department is not that wonderful, the dorms are often rundown, however, the food in the dining hall is way worse. The educational aspect is the most important, so I love this college for that. I know that I am going to get a wonderful education in The School of Nursing.

Ele

There are many reasons why I love Northern. The one reason I chose Northern was for the beautiful winters because I love to cross country ski. I also love how the class sizes aren't too big. One thing they could work on is teachers being around more if a student needs help. The new dorms are super nice and I like the fact that they have a policy where you have to live in the dorms the first two years. The one place that is so amazing to see is the Superior Dome and this is where many sports are played

Mattie

This is a great school with amazing academic programs. The campus is beautiful and always has fun things going on! The professors are very knowledgeable and care very deeply about their students and their success. They all go above and beyond for each and every one of their students, and its so cool! I feel completely blessed to be able to attend such a beautiful and amazing school.

Kelsey

Very small school that can make you feel very lonely and bored especially if you came from far away. Personally did not enjoy my experience here at all and am transferring already after 1 semester here because I just felt so out of place and did not like this university at all. I was disappointed because I was told there is always things to do on campus (which there is not) and that I wouldn't be put in a class no larger than 30 students (almost every class I've had has been 100+ students). Parking is really frustrating because you pay $140 for a parking pass and there is never any parking. It usually takes me 20 minutes to just find an open spot in a far away lot. NMU also gave me the impression that I would be making a lot of friends and that everyone here is friendly when that is very far from true. Everyone had already had their cliques formed on move in day and I was constantly met here by rude people or looks. Overall I really didn't think that coming to this school 6 hours away and being homesick everyday was definitely not worth it because this school hasn't shown or offered anything for it to be worth it. I am very glad I am leaving this school and if you are thinking about going here and are not from the area I would strongly think about reconsidering or thinking very hard about it. The homesickness was real and being in a town with no friends and nothing to do and at a university that lied about a lot of things they offered and gave a false advertisement of what this school is like was really frustrating.

It is a nice school. It is also a smaller university so it is perfect for those transitioning to college from a small town. There is a decent amount of activities to do, but most of those activities are outdoors and for 6 months out of the school year, the weather is very cold because winter weather begins in October/November and doesn't end until April and sometimes May. I like the smallness of the school because it makes it easy to walk from one end of campus to the other in a decent amount of time. I had good professors and bad. I will say that the dining hall food is not impressive at all. I did not care for a lot of it. Like all schools, Northern has good and bad. Overall, I would say that it is a good school, but it is best for people from a small town.

Makenzie

Northern Michigan University, in my opinion, is one of the safest universities in Michigan to attend. They are all about making sure you get home safe and that you are safe at all times. It also has a very homey feeling to it. The school size isn't that big, so it is a great community to be a part of. They are all about making sure no one is lonely and that you always have a friend. The faculty also are very caring and make sure if you need help that you have it. It is also their goal to make sure nobody goes hungry while attending college there. They also provide multiple job opportunities for the students that work with their college schedule.

Abby

I think the Northern Michigan University is an extremely friendly and welcoming school. The staff and students are super energetic and welcoming to the new students. They have courses for every major and minor. They have a really good business program and a very good science program.

Ceyonia

Here at Northern Michigan University there is a a place and a club for any and everyone. The people here are very nice, although from time to time it may not seem like it. Going to class from the dorms to just about anywhere on campus is less than a 15 minute walk which I think it really nice. Every time I go to the dinning hall I always see people I haven't seen before, which is refreshing to know that there is always new friends to make also!

Katherine

Northern Michigan University is in a beautiful part of the country. It's a great place for adventure especially if you love hiking, snowboarding, and skiing. The people live for hockey games and their meat-filled pastries known as pasties. The living on campus isn't the worst for college dorms if you're staying in the older dorms which I did for my time there because it was cheaper. The newer dorms are more like hotel rooms rather than place to call a temporary home. I never got the chance to live off campus, but had several friends that had the opportunity to. Many people don't rent apartments like people do at a lot of other universities, people who live around Northern will actually rent houses with multiple people. I was told that it was easier and cheaper than renting apartments and more people can share it. The on campus apartments are quite nice, they have a small kitchen area and you have to share a bedroom with someone depending on how many people you share with, the more you share with the cheaper the apartment is but the maximum amount in one is only four people. The school has recently gone through a lot of remodeling, this made getting around campus kind of a pain at the start but after it was completed, getting around campus wasn't too bad. Academically, the school is great. I loved most of my professors because they took an interest in the lives of students and did everything they could to help us achieve our goals. I was given a lot of opportunities here to do research that bolstered my resume and given the skills I needed to apply to the real world. Northern Michigan University attracts a lot of unique people, there you can make friendships that will last a lifetime.

Matt

I would recommend NMU to anyone who like the outdoors. I will warn the we get a lot of snow in the winter so if you are not a winter person, you should probably go somewhere else. The class sizes are perfect, in my opinion. There is enough people so you can make a lot of friends but not too many to where you are lost in the crowd.