Northern Virginia Community College

« See more reviews of Northern Virginia Community College

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

When I told my friends that instead of going away to a four year college, I wanted to attend NOVA, They immediately said, "NOVA is for poor people or students who can't get into a four year college." That is absolutely false. By coming to NOVA, I have realized that there no poor people who attend this school due to the simple fact that it is less expensive to begin with. Also, I have also noticed that, a large percentage of the students who attend NOVA are very intelligent and branch out to NOVA to give them that extra step to getting into a four year college.

Honestly, the initial stereotype that people assume of the students are that they are high school drop-outs or students without direction. This could not be further from the truth. The students at NOVA are extremely diverse in their situations, environments, and expectations, but all of them share a common goal; to make one'self better through learning. The classes offered at NOVA are just as diverse as the students that attend. If there is anything to be said about a stereotype of students at NOVA, it is that everyone there is there to seriously learn.

Since it's a community college, and a very large one at that, there are many different types of people roaming the campus. You have your freshmen. Eager to learn and ready for challenges. And those freshmen who are depressed that they couldn't go away for school and had to stay home to finish those first two years. Then you have the kids who have been at NOVA for a couple years now and can never seem to graduate. Then you have the foreign exchange students or the international students (like me).

There really is no stereotype at our school. Kids there face the same challenges as the rest which is figuring out ways to pay for their tuition and their books. From what I have seen we all have a common goal and that is to graduate and continue on to a four year university. So if I had to say something our stereotype would be we all have the same goals and are goal hungry for success and striving for excellence in our studies and yes that would be accurate.

The great part about my school is diversity. Northern Virginia Community College is a junior college full of many different types of students. There is many students fresh out of high school looking to save money, improve their grades, and then transfer to a four year college. However, you can also find a few working adults, parents, and students looking to simply become certified in a specific profession.

The stereotype for NOVA is kids who couldn't get into or make it in a Four-Year College just yet. This stereotype is wrong because NOVA is filled with kids who don't know what they wanna do yet, parents who are going back to school, people who are working their way through school, or people who are just looking to better themselves or their skills.

The stereotype NOVA student is generally a loser. Someone who couldn't make it, or someone too poor to afford university. However, this stereotype is not true usually. There are people who fall into that category, but we have a lot of smart people who move on, or get the skills they need to land a job without a full undergrad degree.

It's not like highschool once you go to college. People here are not all young college kids who just graduated from high school. I see many adult students, and lots of international students too. So i don't know. They are all different i guess.

The stereotype consists of aimless high school graduates taking the easy route. Certainly, you can find that stereotype quite readily, but you can also find diligent students who are there to waste anymore time.

Most of the students want to transfer to a 4-year university after completing undergrad classes affordably at a community college. This is accurate, from my experience.