Orange City, IA
Northwestern College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwestern College

Derrick

You have a wide range of people here some are extremely artise and strange and others are down to earth, fun loving people.

I have gotten some much out of my college education at Northwestern. My professors in the Athletic Training feild came from well-known training programs and know how to push us to be the best. Not only do they teach the basic things for the major, they to are constantly up-grading their education and teach us the newest and most interesting research out there on the subject. It is valuable to me because they have provided a great learning enviroment both in the books and hands on as well as chances to shadow respected people in our feild to get real life application.

A person that doesn't mind the small town, nothing to do weekend life. They must be able to make their own fun.

Meghan

Northwestern is a Christian college that takes being a Christian very seriously. It's located in a small town, and the class sizes are not very big, so there's a good chance you'll really get to know your professors. The community is amazing here. I feel no judgment by other students when I walk across campus. Everyone is accepted and loved. We give hugs all the time, and we always smile and say hello to everyone, even people we haven't met. It's just an amazing place, and I love it here so much.

You're going to love college. It really is an amazing experience. I know you're a little scared right now to leave your family, but you're going to make the most incredible friends ever. Trust me - you will love the girls you live with. Just go and be yourself. It's like a chance to start over; no one knows anything about you! You have a clean slate. The people there aren't going to judge you. You can be whoever you want to be, and you'll be loved just as you are. You probably won't get much sleep, but that's okay. Just take naps whenever you can. The social life is really worth the lack of sleep! Sometimes it will be hard to focus on homework when there are so many other fun things to do, but just do your best. Grades really aren't everything in college. I know they were really important in high school, but you actually might get a B once in awhile, and guess what - it's not the end of the world! Just go and have fun. Be yourself. Find your true identity. Enjoy every minute.

There's a "ring by spring" slogan on campus, and I sometimes feel like everyone is supposed to be dating, engaged, or married. It can be frustrating to feel that way.

Northwestern College is best known for it's small campus that is commited to the academic, spiritual, and social growth of each student. It is a Christ-centered campus that provides many opportunites for students to develop leadership skills as well as opportunities to serve the campus and the local community. It is located in a small town that is incredibly supportive of our mission. The faculty and staff are incredibly caring and invest in each of their students.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself to be diligent and passionate about all I am involved in. I would also tell myself to prepare to selflessly pursue friendships to prepare for life away from home and familiar faces. The transition into college was difficult because I did not realize how lonely I would be. If I had prepared for that and thus acted upon my desire for friendship in a better way, my loneliness would not have affected me as much. Academically, consistency is key. It is extremely helpful to have a study routine and to not cram for exams or wait until the evening before to write a paper. Consistently being diligent in studying is something I had to learn during my first semester. On top of all of these things, I would tell myself to be excited about the next stage in life and not be anxious or worry. It was an exciting step and I feel like my anxieties hindered me from taking risks when entering life in college.

The best thing about Northwestern College is the close community. There are endless opportunities to get involved and to develop close friendships with people on and off campus. There are an incredible amount activities to become involved in despite the fact that there is a relatively small student body.

Dear High School senior, there are some very important things you need to know before you head off to college. While picking your classes for 12th grade make sure you take classes that may help you decide what you could pursue a career in. Find a class that you enjoy and take the class now while you don't have to pay for class or books. This is the best time because next year they expect you to know what your dreams are and you will regret not doing what you love while its free. Out side of class get involved in as many projects and clubs as you can, it may be to late to join volunteer groups now, but if you are in some clubs stay in them and take leadership roles. Colleges and scholarships love to see extracaricular work out side of your High School. One last thing to do before you head off to college; during the summer take as much responsibility for your life as you can. Don't ask your parents for advice on everything because next year they are not going to be there. It is best to start now with your responsibility.

The best thing about Northwestern College is that there is a very strong sence of community in the College, dorms, classrooms and in Orange City. While touring the school they said that the college community is really tight knit and it sounded so cheezy, but after living in the dorms I agree with the cliche quote one hundred percent! All the staff, Profesors, resident assistants and classmates are all amazing people that truly want the best for me as an individual, I am not just a number in the crowd but some one people really care about.

It actually took me a really long time to actually find something that I did't like about the school. The worst thing right now is a very hard situation among some of the men living in a dorm called Hemstria. The faculty has decided to tear the building down and build a new apartment style housing. The building is not up to code for saftey reasons and must be taked down. The argument they are bringing before the school board is that they will split up the community in the dorm life, the men grow very close together there.

Holly

Don't think that you can make it on the bare minimum. Utilize the resources available to you such as the library and the tutoring centers. There is no shame in asking for help. The point of being in college is to prepare you for life, and you will live a fuller life if you attempt to excel not just get by.

Crystal

My classmates are very kind to each other. We like to have a short conversation if we are walking to classes and I really enjoy that. Another thing that describes my classmates is that we are not shy at all towards other people.

The advice I would give to myself is that go in to college with an open heart. Try out for new things and just think of college has starting a new adventure in your life. Another piece of advice I would give myself is that, I would try and be more open to making new friends. Also, classes are not as hard as I thought they were. People make you think that you have to read 20 chapters every night and eight page papers due twice througout the semester, but I did not find it this way. Yes, I had difficult assignments but I took the time to do them and got good grades.

Any person that is willing to take a challenge and work for what they want to be. You also have to be hard-working, friendly, and compassionate. You should also be the type of person who is strong in their faith or wants their faith to grow.

Anna

This school is very committed to community. The people around really do become your family. The relationships that are built here will last a life time.

Be open to change. Make the most of the people that you love at home. And feel blessed with the person that you have become, if you don't believe in what you have become, you will not know who you at the end of the day. And finally, get excited, the people that you are going to meet are people you will never forget.

A person that wants to skip classes and still pass the class. To go to this school you have to work for your grade, it is not easy here to bs your way through.

If given the chance to go back in time I would tell my high school senior self of the financial hardships attending college brings about. Back when I was still in high school I could care less about saving money for the future. I was living in the moment day to day, and not thinking about what would become of my financial situation after graduation. I was completely dependent on the college fund my parents had been setting aside for me and was completely taken aback when that money ran out and I was left to find my own means of paying for college. The financial toll that tuition, student fees, and books took on me was so severe that at one point I needed to take a semester off and find a second part time job just to save up and get ahead. Knowing myself when I was about to graduate and my strong desire to continue my education, I feel that this advice could have been the most helpful advice I have ever received.

I would tell myself to make a better effort at keeping to a study schedule. College courses are not only tough, but time-consuming, and I wish I would have spent more time studying for certain classes. I would also tell myself to apply for scholarships like crazy. I am pretty much broke right now as a college student and can barely afford books. It would have been extremely beneficial if I had earned some more scholarships that would help me through this year, and hopefully into the next three years of my college education.

The type of person that should not attend my school is one who is a big fan of the city life. Orange City is a small town of about 6,000 people. It is a highly concentrated reform dutch community and has a fairly conservative way of life. Farmland is everywhere, so if one is a big fan of the fast-paced city life, they should probably consider a school in a larger city.

I think the most frustrating aspect of my school especially is the wireless internet access. There are computers available all over campus, but a good majority of students own laptops. I do most of my studying in my dorm room and am unable to get wireless internet access without the cord. This is challenging when I am working on assignments on the internet and my cord all of a sudden is unplugged. Sometimes I even lose progress on an assignment.

Anna

Northwestern College is a progressive, all-enveloping, close-knit community that strives for academic excellence and serving the needs of each and every student.

If I could go back in time and give my "high school senior-self" advice about college based on what I know now, I would share two things. First, I would say that getting good grades, though very important at this college and strived after by most students, is ultimately not the most important part of a college education. I have had to put my schoolwork first and work hard in my classes, but I have also had to make the choice to set down my books and make time for the people in my life at school. Maintaining close relationships needs a priority, as should be being a good student and keeping my grades up. Second, I would also tell myself to make the most of every opportunity that the college presents to students. Those who are enrolled in college are a privileged group, and those students are given the chance to go on service projects, study abroad, volunteer, and take a stand for important issues on their campus and in their community. It is good to be reminded that for many, the opportunities in college are unlimited and we should make the most of them.

The best thing about this school is the sense of community between the students and the professors here. It is unbelievably strong- the bonds are developed between students early on during freshman year and only grow stronger as the semesters continue. The faculty truly embrace each student and offer their help, assistance, input, and advice freely and openly. All in all, the campus community here is truly familial. I feel at home here, I feel welcomed, and I am sure that most, if not all students, feel the same way.

Northwestern College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.