Oberlin College

« See more reviews of Oberlin College

We have womb chairs in the library. They're LEGENDARY, you should come find out why. Also, what other school could you possibly go to where you could experience the daily joy that is observing the albino-squirrel population that inhabits Tappan Square. Experimental College Classes are a dream come true. If you've always wanted to learn how to defend yourself from zombie attacks, watch the greatest plays in football history during class, or make your own rockin' websites (the list goes on) ExCo classes will be your best friend. WINTER TERM!!! 6 weeks of, learning whatever you want wherever you want. Have fun. Safer Sex Night and Drag Ball. The whole campus will be dressed to the nines (i.e. almost nude or as the opposite gender) for these incredible and unforgettable nights. DeCafe smoothies with make you wilt in edible ecstasy. The sauna in the gym is great. Things are not taboo. If you want to say it, say it. If you want to do it, DO IT.

Something unique that I have seen in my time at Oberlin is the continual student and institutional support for environmental events, causes, and practices. There are many examples of this: they range from pioneering ecological design practices, to purchasing local food for the dining commons, to requiring all new buildings on campus to be LEED certified, to community service for green causes. Oberlin runs a farm purely through student volunteer work, which benefits from many environmental efforts. Overall, I would say the degree of awareness and the number and quality of environmental initiatives could not be found at another school.

Oberlin College is a premier liberal arts school with a vibrant history of activism. I chose this school because my values are similar to the values of the majority of the students. The students and faculty of this school really care about the world we live in and try to nurture its progress. Oberlin takes a stand against environmental degradation, takes steps toward green energy, and trains its students to grow and change the world for the better. As the first college in the U.S. to admit students of color and females, Oberlin is truly one of a kind.

Oberlin is wonderful because its students are completely serious about academics, but also know when to relax. Their passions are not limited to the classroom, and energy is divided between school, extra-curricular activities, and social lives in a very healthy way. What it all comes down to is that students at Oberlin care - for their time in the biology lab as much as for the concert benefit they're planning to aid with genocide in the Sudan. Oberlin students are balanced in a way I haven't seen at other institutions.

Oberlin really promotes study abroad opportunities and generally makes it very easy to find programs and transfer credits. They will even allow you to apply all Oberlin based financial aid to a semester abroad as long as the program is affiliated with Oberlin (i.e. an Oberlin student has previous attended and successfully transfered credits from this program). I had a great time on my semester abroad in Australia and I'm getting major credit for some of the courses I took there. Winter is gray, very gray. Be prepared.

CO-OP DINING: I eat in Fairchild Co Op (aka FairKID). Its vegetarian/vegan and super delicious. Its a great opprotunity to cook with friends and actually learn how to make real, healthy, non dining hall food. You run into some of the most interesting people on campus in these co ops, because they knows whats cool- and lets face it- dining halls suck. One veggie meal is spent speaking on transgender and the next on astro physics. Definately cool.

For many students the co-op system at Oberlin provides an affordable and better-tasting dining option with the added bonus of an incredible community. I eat in Fairchild, the vegetarian/mostly vegan/no cane sugar co-op, and I can say completely certainly that I made the best decision of the last few years of my life when I checked the box saying I wanted to eat in a co-op. It provides me with a home away from my home away from home.

Safer Sex Night-Come to the student union dressed in your nighties/whatever and learn about safer sex while dancing it up with your barely clothed classmates. Drag Ball-Learn all about cross dressing and have some fun while you're at it. Dress as the opposite sex and find yourself attracted to the wrong people! 420-Good, clean, fun.

The co-op system (people can choose to work and make their own food instead of going through campus dining), how easy it is to be a double degree student in the conservatory and the college, how accessible the conservatory is for non-conservatory students, and the ExCo system (students teach students for academic credit)

The campus is full of many interesting artistic poeple who are very passionate about their work. When Oberlin Students want something they go for it with 150%. This can be seen through our colleges Green Initiave, The Seed house, and our Eco Olympics. The Collge is incredibly green and enviromentaly concious.