Ohio University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Ohio University-Main Campus

There are several keys to having a good time at OU. The first and most important is to find your people, or your niche or however you want to put it. It's tough to have great experiences by yourself, unless you have some amazing imagination and your invisible friends keep you entertained or whatever. The second key, which may be an obvious one, is to get out and do things! Break into the Ridges one night, it's spooky and fun (although I would advise you to not do it around Halloween - it's more fun on a random night when no one's around). Go away for weekend trips occasionally; Athens can be great, but it is rather isolated, and it really is great to get away for a bit and spend time with friends. Take advantage of all of the activities the university offers - we have a great student center called Baker, there are comedians and concerts and movie nights. I may sound lame or whatever saying it, but believe me, you can still have a great time without drinking (plus you'll actually remember it and not be sick the next day). Don't be a person who goes home every weekend - you miss out on a lot; be independent, and don't cling to home or your high school days or whatever - college is about growing up and moving on. A word of caution, though: don't forget what you came here for, which is to learn. You can learn things both inside and outside of class, so take it all in. And take it from someone who's made some mistakes in her first year here - keep on top of your classes! Sometimes it sucks, but it is an education you're paying for here, so play...just not too much. *I'm from TRUE HOUSE!!*

Compared to other schools that I had considered, aside from having one of the top ranked Communication Programs, Ohio University is one of the only schools that I know that truly embraces the community in which it resides in. Although well known for being one of the most impoverished communities in the United States, Athens, Ohio holds a dear place in every students heart here at OU. This town embraces this University, and this University embraces this town. Not many students can say that they feel a part of a community outside of campus, but us Bobcats sure can.

As a member of the Ohio University Marching band, I have been witness to the amazing school spirit, drive and extreme dedication of students at my school. Every class I have taken has brought me closer to my job in the communication field. And, I can't forget to mention, the campus is absolutely beautiful! Ohio University has been known as "Harvard on the Hocking River". As soon as I took my first steps on my campus tour, I knew in my heart that this was where I belonged. I am truly a Bobcat through and through.

Ohio Univerisity has the most inviting atmosphere of any school I have visited. People are excedingly friendly and helpful. There is a diverse group of students at the univeristy, so individuals are always able to find somewhere they belong. At the same time, though, OU remains a cohesive entity. The campus is large enough that all the ammenities of a big school are avaialable but small enough that students do not get lost in the shuffle. Instead, they are celebrated as individuals.

The campus is just the right size to give you a wonderful, new experience, yet small enough to make you feel right at home with the campus and those around you. I feel safe if walking around campus by myself even at night. It doesn't take more than fifteen minutes to get anywhere on campus. There are also many branches of this campus that gives you the opportunity to take courses on breaks that may be closer to your home. There is a great branch right in my home town!

Ohio University is unique because it offered an experience for every student in attendance. It provided every student regardless of race, culture, socio-economic background, and drinking preference, a place to belong. In addition, the professors truly went up and beyond and offered stuents with small class sizes and invidualized teaching, which is rare at this size of a school. The campus was truly welcoming and accepting of all students right from the start.

Ohio University is a big city in a small town. We have one main street where you can always find your friends, and the campus is gorgeous. The brick roads and beautiful trees make this campus one-of-a-kind. But most of all, OU has one of the highest accredited journalism schools in the country. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism is what truly made up my mind. Moreover, OU is home to many top-ranked colleges.

I live in Bush Hall, a quiet study dorm on East Green that exclusively houses freshmen. It's home to students in the Difficult Dialogues group, a project of the Ford Foundation, dedicated to teaching the members how to have the hard talks (religion, race, sexuality, etc.) outside of class. Next year I hope to stay on East in another quiet dorm, as the atmosphere in this part of campus is great.

My school has a Forensics (speech and debate) team. We are considered the number one team on campus, and I love it. We have brought a lot of publicity to the university, by appearing on Fox and Friends for a political debate, and currently we are eleventh in the nation. This is an academic activity which will attract students that tend to have high ACT scores and GPA in high school.

Stress was a major issue for me when I chose a school. I didn't want to get lost on campus or worry about being late by a minute or two, or even ten. The campus is calm on the weekdays, but can get a little wild on the weekends depending on which street you walk down. I haven't heard of any physical violence on the campus, so it seems to me that the school is proud of student safety.