Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

Oregon State University started as an agricultural school. In the 1860s, Corvallis College (now OSU), was designated as an agricultural college legislatively. OSU is known as both an agricultural school and as a hard science/technical school. It offers programs like microbiology, nuclear engineering, ecology, forestry, public health, biochemistry, zoology, oceanography, food science and pharmacy are recognized nationally as top tier programs. However, the liberal arts programs at the univesity have increased significantly, and those programs are considered extremely vital to the school today. Finally, OSU has been classified as a top research instiution by the Carnegie Foundation.

My favorite campus tradition is the Flat Tail Festival/Battle of the Bands. Annually, in the spring, OSU holds a Battle of the Bands competition on a Friday night. The show is free and it's a great way to learn about new, local, artists. After the winner of Battle of the Bands is determined, that band opens for more well known bands at the Flat Tail Festival. It's pretty awesome. If the weather is nice, it's a great atmosphere and thousands of students attend. It's outside in the quad area of the Memorial Union, and it really is just an amazing time. Dogs are welcome, there is a beer garden, and there are usually other activities to do while you're there.

Oregon State University's students and faculty is known for research and invention. From the invention for particle board glue, to advancements in solar technology, to the making of the ?Working Hands? cream, OSU offers a lot. The alumni pride is high and is shown by great financial and supportive encouragement. Support within the school is well structured and known for the community feel. Oregon State University is also known for being the first university to create extension centers that informed the agricultural communities across the state of the latest research and development.

My school has been accredited for many things. Our most famous academic departments, are our Engineering, and Science departments, in which make great strides in the fields every year(let alone every day). We are also well know for our athletics...Football as well as our Gymnastics, Wrestling, Softball and Basball have been extremely successful in the recent years. A few of our greatest claims to fame: We invented the hoola hoop. We beat Notre Dame inf the Fiesta Bowl. Corvallis, where Oregon State Univertsity is located, was voted one of the safest places to liv ein the nation.

Oregon State used to be a big agricultural school. It has gotten away from it a little bit but people still know it for that. OSU has many agricultural classes for its students. It has places for the students to go during class where they can see and work with the animals that they are learning about. It is also known for its great veterinary program. People with horses all over Oregon bring their horses to OSU when their usual veterinarians cannot figure out how to help them.

OSU is best known for its beautiful, tree filled, inviting and warm campus. It has a very well known Engineering department as well as a very highly rated Agricultural department. Don't be put off though, OSU has much more to offer. It also houses a two story rec facility, wave generator and a six story Library. The students, faculty and staff at OSU are also very dedicated to Green Living, and doing their part for the environment and our future.

Oregon State University is known for their strength in engineering and the ability for students to have a job in their desired field before they even graduate. My school is also known for their wrestling and baseball teams which have ranked nationally for several years. OSU is also known for their contributions to science from changing horomones in sheep during preganancy and showing a link between horomones and homosexuality.

Athletics is a big thing at our school for all sports. The students show a lot of spirit for all sporting events and are very involved in school activities. We are also known for many of our departments and graduate schools, such as the College of Engineering, College of Pharmacy, Nutrition Department, Veterinary Program, Art Program and many more!!! There are so many choices and things to do at Oregon State University!

OSU is well known for there amazing Beaver Pride. Better than that they are known as a grant research school. We have both Sea, Air, Sun, and Earth grants. OSU is also well known for having one of the greenest campus's. No matter where you are on campus you can find recycling bins for everything. My favorit part about OSU is ther Social community, there is literally a club for almost anything you might think of doing.

Oregon State is best known for a unique triad of education, social life, and school spirit. With one of the best Engineering programs in the country, the university prides itself in research and theory. Oregon State also has large greek population and culture that positively works with the school and community. Additionally, students pride themselves on being loyal football and Oregon State fans.