Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

My professors do not know my name, but that is mainly because all of my classes are 100-600 people in each of my four lectures. My TA's do know my name, though. Sometimes it's a lot easier to talk to TA's instead of the professor directly. My favorite class is currently my ANS 121 class (intro to animal sciences), because the labs are easy and enjoyable. We learn about different domestic breeds of animals and then visit different production facilities near campus. My least class so far was probably Trigonometry. With that said, I took it with a great professor who knows how to teach mathematics, so I did well in the class despite my disinterest. Students tend to study around midterms and finals, as many professors don't quiz inbetween those times. Class participation isn't all that common in lecture, but is expected in recitation and labs, where there are only 15-25 students in each class. I think that students do have intellectual conversations outside of class because I've overheard students talking about things they learn in class with their friends, and I find myself discussing things in everyday conversations about things I've learned in class. Students at OSU are very competitive, because a lot of students here are planning to go on to either a masters, graduate, or other professional program. The most unique class I've taken so far was my ANS 315 class I took over the summer. It was about ethical issues in animal agriculture. It gave you a better understanding of where your food comes from, and at what price. I'm a Zoology major in the College of Science. Along with Biology, it is the biggest major in the College of Science. I, personally, don't spend time with professors outside of class because they are usually quite clear on their material. But I have occasionally emailed professors about little questions on material, and they have been cordial in their responses. I feel OSU does a good job at requiring different groups across the fields of study for every major, but at the same time allows enough classes in each of those groups for students to pick classes they might genuinely be interested in. OSU has a good mix of learning both for it's sake and to get a job. We have a great career services department, but OSU also encourages service learning outside of the classroom, because something that can't really be taught in a classroom.

Oregon State University is a large public school, but for my first term I didn't have one lecture class. The biggest class I had was probably 40 students. That is excellent. Each professor knew my name and I could tell they wanted me to succeed in their classes. Students are constantly studying. The study room on my floor always has students in it. Students leave in groups to go to the library and study, and my roommate and I work on homework together. Class participation is at first a scary thing because it's a college class, but once you commit to it, participation is a sure way to completely understand a subject and show the professor how intelligent you are. I have intellectual conversations with friends outside of class because we all love to stimulate our minds in new ways. I am an English major and a science and technology oriented school. I love it because the liberal arts degrees are few and far between, allowing me to grow closer with the professors and establish connections. The most interesting class I've taken so far is Shakespeare. I loved the class. The professor taught new and innovative things about Shakespeare I would've never known before. The education the professors and administration provide at Oregon State definitely prepares students for a job. It teaches the importance of time management, following directions, reading, writing, and speaking - all skills necessary for attaining and maintaining a career.

The great thing about being an English major is the classes are so small that you get to know your classmates really well. The bad thing about being an English major is the classes are so small that if you don't know the answer to something, the professor will call on you, by name, to respond anyway. But that's what going in to talk to your professor will get you - a working relationship with them. OSU has a lot of diverse classes. Underwater Basket Weaving? Of course that will come in handy some day! Country Western Swing? I would look silly busting out my breakdancing at the country bars, now wouldn't I? But my favorite class so far has been a Disney film class with an emphasis in women's studies. I will never look at Belle and Beast's relationship the same, or watch Peter Pan without being distracted by blatant racism. Even through fun classes like these, the professors make sure to teach us how to apply these skills and knowledge to the real world. The bacc-core classes give a broad knowledge of everything in order for the students to find what they are passionate about and become well-rounded. The upper-division courses are geared specifically to your area of study and help hone your abilities to get a job with your degree.

Class sizes at Oregon State are pretty decent overall. There are those general courses (which we all have to take) which have a poor student to teacher ratio but most classes aren't that way. The professors I've taken courses from are ridiculously helpful. Of course, there are also the scatterbrained, the unorganized, the indifferent, and the strict professors. There are professors I wish I had never taken a course from, but there are also professors who make you laugh and make you want to pay attention in class. My Art 101 professor last year was that kind of teacher. The top scorer on the midterms would get a copy of Mariah Carey's movie, Glitter, while the student with the second highest score on the midterm received TWO copies of Glitter! Moments like these are the kind of moments I will never forget. Our professors are crazy and loud and comical and that's all great, but they also really want to see us succeed.

It really depends on the subject. Lectures are usually large and the professors don't know all the students. Other classes are between 20-30 students. Most professors make the classes fun and interesting. I've only been here for a year, but so far my favorite class is Psychology and my least favorite is Chemistry. The students here are friendly and outgoing in classes. People are here to help you all the time. There are many resources on campus that you can get help whenever you need. The professors all have office hours that they are required to be in their offices. All students are required to take certain classes to make them "well rounded" when they enter the job market. When you graduate from Oregon State you are fully prepared to receive a job.

In some of my smaller classes, my professors do know my name. However in my big lectures of 200-600 people they professor doesn't know my name unless I make an effort to go to their office hours and meet them. The academics are great here, OSU is known for being a big research campus. Students here are competitive and do study, mostly in the library or hall lounges. However, like every school there are the people who would rather party than study. There seems to be a good balance of studying and fun at OSU. Currently I'm double majoring in Athletic Training and Pre Therapy. The advisors for my major are amazing! They really help me out and you should definitely get to know your counselors at your school also.

Academics play a major role in campus life at Oregon State. All of my professors know me by name. I am currently a New Media Communications major which has grown two fold since I started at Oregon State back in 2008. Even with the growth the professors do an amazing job with larger class sizes. Over the course of my four years at Oregon State I have found that applying yourself is key to succeeding at this university, and most professors are willing to spend extra time with you to help you reach whatever goals you have in the realm of academia.

It depends on the class for the professor to know your name. If you're taking GED classes, like math or BACC core classes, which are huge, then they probably won't. But classes like spanish, or any specialty classes, which are pretty small, the chances that the teacher will know you and notice if you're not in class are pretty high. My favorite class so far has been Human Sexuality with Dr. Kathy Greaves. She makes an interesting topic even more interesting and entertaining.

I think most of the academics favor science and engineering. There's not much of a scene for writing or humanities. I think it's fairly easy to get internships or part time jobs, especially with all of these little shops opening up everywhere.

Class sizes can be large for some of the freshman classes that are held in large auditoriums. Most of my classes are in class rooms with about 20-3o students. You have to get to know your professors by meeting them at office hours.