Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

The worst thing about Oregon State University is the cost of textbooks. Thankfully, many of the professors in the College of Forestry do not require students to buy all the textbooks suggested for each term. In fact, some professors of whom have written the literature themselves, offer digital copies of the required readings at no charge. In the future, I think that digital material should be more widely available so as to cut student costs and and keep the publishers and bookstores from taking advantage of students. In addition, digital material would decrease campus reliance on paper products.

I think that the worst thing about school is the core curriculum, those classes you have to take and have no interest in. It is also one of the best. The core requirements allow you to have a more diverse education, see the world from a different perspective and be exposed to other disciplines. If you keep an open mind they even can help you in your major. I have never been an environmentalists but I took an environmental philosophy class and it helped me to see ways that corporations can realistically help the regions with the resources they use.

The worst thing about Oregon state university is the parking services. Last year (2013-2014) there was a flat rate to pay for a parking pass. This year they tried to fix the problem by establishing zones. The zone parking only created confusion and did nothing to create more parking spaces. Students buy the permit but often do not find a spot on campus and park off campus. This results in interfering with the privacy outside a resident’s home. Not only do students not receive what they pay for but are invading the privacy of homes near campus.

The fact that a student's tuition doesn't necessarily go toward their field of study. One-fourth of students are engineers, yet over one-half of all student funds go toward supporting the engineering department. On the other hand, half of the students are liberal arts majors, yet their individual colleges receive less than one-fourth of student funds, causing many essential programs to be cut, or downsized...in turn forcing many liberal arts students to have to wait several terms to get into a class they need for a major or minor.

I think that OSU is often written off as a "party school," but I think people forget that the relationships they make there are founded in so many things other than partying. People do get out of control, and I think that there are students who may give the university a bad name, but a lot of the students are focused and just want to enjoy their time at school. However, the town of Corvallis is small so sometimes students may feel limited and that can be an issue sometimes.

At this point I think the worst part about Oregon State is all of the construction that is going on. It makes it harder to get around while walking to classes or even trying to drive off of campus. It has caused me to almost be late to appointments and classes because I did not know that it was going to be starting. Even though it is a nuisance right now I know that when it is over it will make the school a better place to be studying at.

I believe the worst thing about my school is the large emphasis on the greek life. The people that are invloved in the greek system at my school act as though they have all the power. If you are not part of a fraternity or sorority it becomes much more difficult to meet people and I just find that diffuclt. It is harder to form a social neetwork of people if you are not in someway attached to that system, and that really bothers me.

With my experiences, I don't like the advising. But that could just be the people that I have encountered in my specific major. Otherwise, the people are great, the professors are kind and understanding, and it's a beautiful campus. The weather does tend to suck from time to time but I have been in Oregon my whole life so I'm used to it. The people that aren't used to the weather aren't a huge fan of it but it isn't too terrible.

The people here are not intellectual, they are boring. They party all the time, watch sports, play video games, talk about video games, and are generally uninterested in learning. This is a gross generalization, but it's how I feel most of the people here are. Some people may like this, but it's not for me. In addition, the classes are huge and there isn't a lot of teacher-student interaction. It's extreemely frustrating.

The worst thing about attending any university, not just Oregon State, is the freedom! That wonderful, elusive feeling is suddenly overpowering your will to study and attend class. It is so important to realize that with freedom, comes responsibility. You must stay focused on your goals and aspirations, for without those, you will slip by the wayside and be lost in a sea of bad grades and poor job prospects.