Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

Someone who likes to party and will fit in well in a fraternity or sorority. Also, this person should love the cold and rain, as they will be walking in it to and from class almost every day. Someone with a science, engineering, or business major would do very well, or someone who was interested in agriculture. They should enjoy staying in cramped quarters with a stranger, using communal bathrooms, and shouldn't be worried about their weight (because the food isn't very good for you). Also, an unnatural love of ugg boots for the girls is a must.

If a student is not one that likes social life that is heavily focused on sororities and fraterities, it might not be the best choice. It will be necessary to find groups that compliment your field, because the focus on "Greek" culture can leave some students feeling alienated. Also, if it bothers you that there is a great emphasis on the "hard sciences" or technology, it might not be the best school. With that said, the College of Liberal Arts has grown and this should help offet feelings that some students have. Ecampus is available as well.

I think the only type of person that would not feel welcome at Oregon State University is one that prefers a smaller classroom size. Most of my lectures have 100 - 250 people on average, but there are labs and recitations that typically have 20 - 30 students, which help a lot. Also, T.A.'s and professors have office hours to provide extra help, and most are willing to meet with you if you are unable to make it during the allotted times. Other than that, it is a very diverse campus racially and according to interests as well.

The jump from high school to college is big. Students who expect their professors to motivate them to do their work will not be successful at Oregon State University. You need to be self motivated to be successful at this university. There are plenty of opportunities out there to help you with your studies but you have to be the person to take advantage of them. Although it may be easy to get into OSU, it requires a lot of time and energy to maintain a descent GPA. This is not a school for people who want their hands held.

Any and all kinds of persons should come to Oregon State Univeristy. It is a very well diversified campus and the opportunities and resources that are there for all types of people; purple big, curly haired, gay, etc. are phenomenal. There is truly something for everyone here and that is what made me happy that I chose the school that I did. I wouldn't change it for the word. One requirement of someone wanting to attend OSU is to be very well goal driven. It's a cut throat world out therer that we need to be prepared for.

Someone who is only going to school because their parents are paying for it, or it is expected. If a person isn't motivated, they shouldn't attend this school or any school. Otherwise, if an individual is humble, they can get everything they need from this school, they just simply have to put out some effort to get it. If an individual's ego tells them that they need to attend a private university in order to feel special, I recommend they don't attend this school because again, they won't be motivated to do well.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school are people that are not serious about earning a degree. There is a big social part of this school but academics are more important and if your not serious about working in your classes then this is not the place for you. This school has a strict academic rules.If you dont pass your classes then you will be put on academic probabtion first and if you continue to party and not study then you will be put on academic suspension. So it would be a waist of money. time.

Don't come to college just because you are supposed to or because your friends are or because your parents are forcing you to. Go because you want to be there. Any motivation other than your dreams and your goals will be a stumbling block to your success. It's okay to come to college with an undecided major, to search out options and find what you are looking for, but don't spend too much time in indecision. Indecision leads to apathy. Don't come to this school if you aren't ready to fight for what you want.

There are such a diverse variety of majors, people, and departments at Oregon State. There is something for just about everyone, but people who enjoy the large rush of the city may be a little disappointed considering Corvallis is a pretty rural close knit town. Also on the opposite end of the spectrum for those who are not thrilled about taking full advantage of campus life might find Oregon State a little overrated since the funniest part of everything is the close-knit town and fans.

A person who is unsure of their abilities should not attend Oregon State. It is a great University, but the classes are challenging and a student should not just expect to coast through the classes. If you come to Oregon State, you should come serious to learn, study, and be very interested in your field of study. I would say confidence is a key to being ready, if you are not confident in yourself and what you can do, it will hinder you so much in what you will do.