Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

Finding the right college is a matter of knowing what course of study will make you happy and seeking out a school that offers an environment that you feel comfortable with. Attending a school with a good program in your field, classmates with whom you can identify, a location you can enjoy and explore, and a price that is affordable all make the college experience one that allows for personal enrichment and happiness. Making the most of the college experience is simply being active. Actively participate, ask questions, and reach for higher educational standards! Actively seek out new friendships and people whose views don't necessarily align with yours! Actively try new things, go new places, push yourself, have fun, and enjoy college for the classroom experience and -just as important- the world outside of the classroom!

Hey Tiffany, I know you're all excited about starting a new life at Oregon State University. It's going to be great I promise. You're gonna have some struggles, I'm not gonna lie but in the end its worth it. I could sit here and tell you what your gonna experience and what you should and shouldn't do, but then it wouldn't be the same. You would already know what to expect and wouldn't learn from any of your mistakes. Always remember that everything happens for a reason. Don't beat yourself up over every mistake, look at them as learning experiences. If you do that you're college experience will be more than just an education. The things you learn and the people you will meet are going to make it an amazing adventure. Learn, Live, Grow, and Love who you are. Sincerely a wiser and older you, Tiffany Schmidt

Assuming It was possable to go back in time and talk to myself as high school senior, and knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would have some pretty good advise to give myself. I know myself and I know that as a high school senior I had a lot of questions about going to college and obtaining a higher education. I would assure myself that joining the United States armed forces is an exellent way to gain an advantage. I would tell myself not to wait so long after my discharge to start getting a higher education. Knowing that it is difficult to obtain the resources needed to attend a college or university, I wuold give my self all of the information on doing so. I would inform myself that all it takes is a lot of motivation and and a bit of intestinal fortitude.

Work together! Parents sending their first child off to college is not easy, but working together allows both parents and students to learn the process of applying for admissions to colleges. Students need to research schools to find those that fit their education criteria. College costs alot of money, so finding that dream school is key to making the most out of the college experience. When looking for schools find information on important factors such as location, size, cost, on and off-campus resource availabilty, and major andor minor programs to limit applications to the top schools of choice. After being accepted to college, work together once again in order to prepare yourself for the best college experience. College is a time to meet new people and find the right path into "the real world."

I would make sure you really research mutiple majors you are interested in at the college, in case the one you initially choose proves too difficult. This way you have a fall back at the same school. I would also really get to know the people that live around you by leaving your door open and just talk to them. They probably know what you are going through, and are willingly to at least have dinner with you once in a while. Parents, allow your student to decide their college, do not force them to you alumni school. Even if it is your money they are spending, it is still their experience and their life and their future, so don't force what you opinions on them. Students, really choose a college that you are comfortable with, where you know where the Target is, (if there is one) and the Winco.

During school I have learned independance as well as the many life applicable lessons and teachings. The attendace here at school is bettering my understanding of the world and the people in it. Through my schooling, I have learned much to relate toward my carreer and hopefully one day the betterment of peoples health. The experience is growing every year, learning new and fantastic ways to cope with work loads, meeting new people and sharing the enjoyment of something that will only last as long as i stay in school. There are many things i have gotten out of my school, some hard lessons in which failure only brings about new hopes and drive, and success in which I grow and become more sure in myself and who I am as an individual and player in a vast wide and growing community of the world.

Research early admission programs. If you your academic advisor doesn't know much about your intended major ask them if they can do some research for you or get you connected with the right resources. Get involved and volunteer. The more extracurricular activities you're involved in the more eligible you are for scholarships. You are also more well rounded and have a more competitive resume. If possible get some work experience while going to school. When you graduate not only will having a degree be important but also showing that you have some experience is very important. Make friends get to know the locals. They can introduce you to lay of the land. Have fun. It's not all work and no play. This is going to be one of the most significant chapters in your life. Enjoy it.

I would suggest to parents and students to scope out every college you've ever considered going to in order to get a good idea on what kind of campus the student will like. Some students will prefer a college that has access to a bigger nightlife or a large campus and then there's ones that are more small and community based. The students should also spend a day with a college student so they can get a feel for what it would be like there if they went there, to see the quad, cafeteria, classrooms, and dorms. I would also check out the services they provide to students and the ease of accessibility. The most important aspect is to find a school that will fit your budget and give you a satisfactory amount of finanical aid so the student can focus on school and not money problems.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself my senior year my biggest piece of advice would be to push myself just a little harder. The hardest thing this first year of school was coming in with an already low GPA due to getting some C's in some of my AP and honors classes. Looking back if I would have pushed myself just enough to get say a B in math 251 I would have saved myself 4 credits and a big headache. The same goes with Chemistry, because I didnt push myself I now have to get A's in Organic Chemistry and Bio-Chemistry to prove I understand Chemistry; if not I will have to go back and re-take all my Chemistry. If I would have known this in High School I am sure I would have driven myself that tiny bit extra to save myself the low GPA and stress I am dealing with now.

Students should try to get away from home. I know that is scary for parents, but at some point, they will need to learn to fend for themselves. Don't go to college in your hometown - find another college that has the academic program you want and that is still within reach for your parents (for parents' weekends). It's okay to explore in your social life, but never let yourself miss class over it. That's one of the biggest mistakes students make. If you learn to skip class, you are much less likely to graduate. Parents should not be afraid to ask their student about classes and grades if they are helping to pay for college. Students need to realize that parent contribution gives them this right. Above all, go somewhere where you can have fun - everyone needs a release valve.