Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

I don't know if there is any advice I could have been told, to have prepared me more for college life. Last year as a High School Senior, I was told that I need to know what areas of study I would like to take in college, what toilettres to bring to school, where to find text books for the cheapest and how I should act when I'm thrown into this new world. I wish I was told that there is nothing that can really prepare you in taking on this new life, people will give you tools and advice but listen to what your heart tells you. I would have told myself, take a deep breath, do you want to do what other people say you should be doing? The real advice would be: "You have your whole life, what do you want to do with it Chelsea?"

It's a whole new ballgame when you get to college. "101" courses are not necessarily easy A's, they truly test you on what you did learn in high school, while still shaping you to deal with your intended field of study. Also, making friends is much different too. However, you don't have to drink alcohol to make friends, there are many clubs available to get involved in on campus. And of course, there are the athletic events to get together and show your school spirit. In the end, if you remain focused on your work and open to doing activities on campus to converse with other students, your college experience will be meaningful and you will learn more about how you can set yourself up for the workforce after you graduate.

Hey there, younger self. The best advice I can give you right now is take a deep breath and do not rush anything. Take the time and effort to learn about yourself, what you want to do in life, and who you want to spend it with. Do not brush off anyone or anything placed on your path, instead you should study them like a piece of art and ask yourself, "Will this make me better or happier?" The answer to this question will not only help you find a career you are passionate about but will help you find your spritual side, the one that makes you happier at the end of the day. More importantly remember this: life is a journey that has dark alley ways to pass, but at the end of the alleyways there is always a beautiful city.

So far I've gained a lot of maturity form my college expierence. In the short time that I've been here, I have learned to become financially responsible, and I have also learned how to better manage my time. These skills will be valuable to me for the reest of my life as I travel abroad to different countries and take full control of my own life. Money management will be important in foreign countries so that I will not be stranded in an unfamiliar place, and so that I can hopefully always have financial security. Time management will be important because as I continue my education and begin to take on heavier loads, it will be great to know what my limit is, and how much I can do in a day without overworking myself.

If I was able to go back in time to my senior year, I would tell myself to let loose and enjoy the last year of free education. I would tell myself to learn how to read textbooks efficiently, learn how to study without study guides, and to not stress to much over every assignment or test because that would become a constant state of stress in college. I would, also, tell myself when you get to college to have fun, meet new people, and enjoy the new found freedom away from your parents, but to not forget the reason you are in college in the first place, which is education. College is a time to learn, widen your horizons, and have fun, but also to learn responsibility and to use your freedom and time judiciously.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice or someone else advice on college, I would tell them to listen to their teachers when they tell you to apply for scholarship while you're in high school. That way you will not be in your second year in college trying to figure out how your going to pay for your college tuition after your parents tell you they don't have the money. Also get a job in high school so you can start saving for your college expenses, get two jobs if you have too. Also apply for financial aid, this will help you a lot. Last but not least, keep the partying to a minimum. you have your 20's and when school is out to live it up. It is not worth losing your focus on your main objective.

So far, I've realized college is a place of much growth, revealing itself in many forms. While the biggest growth falls under education and knowledge, college teaches individuals to actually be an individual and stand out in their own unique form. College pushes students to discover themselves and their passions. It presents alternate routes for students, other than what's typical. Pursuing a college education forces students to become independent, while presenting them with real-world challenges and experience. I've learned alot educationally in one year of college at Oregon State University, but the most I've learned this last year, was about myself. I look forward to three more years of discovering me.

If I were going to go back and talk to my high school self about college I would tell myself to branch out sooner. It took me a long time to learn that college is a place to expand your horizons and to grow and meet new people. I came into college struggling to meet new people and I didn't know how to ask for help. Slowly I have gotten much better at putting myself out there and I have realized that most everyone is ready and willing to be friends and to help in any way they can. So if I could talk to my high school self I would get it through my thick skull to not be so skeptical of people and to throw myself out there. Worst case scanario you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and you do it again!

I have only been in college for approximately eight months and I already know I am a different person. College has allowed me the freedom to reshape myself, think about the future, and change for the better. At home, I felt suffocated by my overbearing but loving mother, and her expectations of me. She still has expectations and wants to know details of my life, but because I am in Oregon, and she is in California, there is a healthy distance between us that allows me to develop into my own personality, my own person. I have become more assertive, more able to ask for what I want. I want to stay in Oregon, I want to continue my journey of self-discovery, I know college will lead me along that road.

Don’t mistake your life for a movie. Even if you don’t open the right door or miss the plane just as it pulls away, you can still get the girl, boy, or whatever it is that your heart desires. There is no one right answer to make your dreams come true. To believe in some preordained course is not only a lie, it is also a thief, robbing you of life’s greatest adventure. Have the courage to get to know you. And take the road less traveled: explore new experiences, discover and test your talents, and raise your expectations. Trust me, a student, a wife, a mother, a pharmacist, a student again returning to study law at age forty-six, the best that life has to offer will surprise you if you let it.