Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

I have experienced several amazing things during my college experience. I had several opportunities to meet business leaders that have inspired me to pursue my passions. I have learned that opportunities should never be passed if they build character and add to my education. College is not easy, it takes a lot of hard work and effort and if you really believe in yourself you can achieve your dreams. You should always try hard in every class although it may not be something you plan to use in your life. My college education has not only changed my outlook on life, it has challenged me to become the successful person I know I can be in the future.

I would not have much to say to my high school self. Although I did not do so well in highschool I feel that the adversity that I faced from moving to ethnically diverse schools and recieving a poor GPA benefitted me greatly. I feel that I strive on adversity and without these experiences I would not have become so motivated or stand in the top of my college classes as I do today. Perhaps I would have developed better analytical skills so that would have been my biggest advice. I would like to have been able to analyze documents and write about them. I feel that these skills should be nurtured among all high school students and I am no exception.

Well,I just started and so far I am loving it.When I am finished with my program I will be able to start a better and more successful life for myself as well as my family.I also love the fact that not only do I get to earn a degree as a medical office administration major,but I get a piece of mind that life will be great.I attend Heald College Honolulu,and the experience there is awesome.The area is convenient,the classes are small,and the teachers are great.At the moment I am a college freshman and still accumilating my experiences at college.This is my first experience at a higher education institution.Although, I know that it will all be well.

One of the best pieces of advice that I ever recieved is that life has already begun. Too many people think that they are going through all of this to start their lives after college but really life is already here and we must make the most of it. It's really important to start off on the right foot and not just mess around, it is your money and time that you are investing so you need to take advantage of what your university has to offer. There is always so much going on, good and bad, you need to filter the things you want and don't want to do so that you can expand your horizons and really find who you are and what you are doing in life.

To make the most of the college experience, I would recommend that students go out and not be afraid to meet others. There are surprisingly a lot of people that have similar experiences and things in common with one another. I met my best friend in college and I couldn't have done it without going outside of my comfort zone to meet him. Also don't be afraid to try new things. In college, everything is pretty much acceptable. Doing new things makes it much more exciting. As for parents, they should come and see their child once in a while, especially during Parent Weekends. It lets everyone see each other again and creates a new bond.

I would advise myself to not worry so much about keeping my friends from high school. When I graduated, I was worried that I wouldn't have anyone to hang out with in college. Because of this, I tried to build stronger relationships with people who I hadn't been close with in a long time, merely because we were going to the same college. When I got here, I started meeting and becoming friends with people with whom I had much more in common. Living on campus and meeting the people in classes that I liked meant I developed more meaningful relationships. High school friendships are fun, but they are not the only people who will ever like you.

College has taught me how to stay organized and motivated because if you are not organized or responsible you will not succeed. Most high school classes can be passed with mnimal effort, however, college is much more difficult. WHile it has taught me to be responsible and studious, it has also taught me to kick back and enjoy myself on a friday night. Oregon State has been valuable to attend because they offer so many different clubs and programs that make students feel more secure and allow them to meet other students with similar likes. The staff at Oregon State is extremely helpful and they have helped guide me into my career field.

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as I High School Senior the advice I would say to give it my all insports because I truly believe I couldve recieved a full ride scholarship if I couldve stuck with baseball. I couldve completed worked towards my Bachelors degree with a full ride scholarship and then enrolled in the military. Knowing all the benefits of higher rank in the military really changed my perspective on how I wish I wouldve stuck with my baseball. I could be in a much better place right now. So yes, I would definatly try to pursade myself into sticking with baseball and getting that full ride Scholarship.

Dear High School Senior Self, There is a rough road ahead, but you already know that. You will be tested beyond belief. Don't worry about your personal life, it will follow naturally. Please, please, please stay focused on the end classes of your AA. Don't get arrogant or burnt out. Do well in the last classes because when you choose to fail one, it ruins your gpa. Watch to see when you can graduate so you get to walk across the state with your husband at Taft College. Stop trying to be what others want you to be and feel free to speak your mind about how you really feel. Start your Bachelors in January 2013 instead of April 2013.

Brace yourself. College is full of new experiences, new people, and new situations. Your identity will be questioned as well as your beliefs but be strong and surround yourself with those who know your true self. Don?t be afraid of letting go of the past, it is ok to distance yourself from home in order to branch out and see who you truly can become. Take the time to meet new people and not get caught up in the excuse of having too much to do; it will be worth taking a break in order to get you through and keep your sanity. Also make time for yourself it is in those quiet moments where you will find your true self.