Oregon State University

« See more reviews of Oregon State University

College is an exciting place where you're on your own and are an adult without all the rules you had in high school. Take advantage of that fact and have some fun. You are only in college once and so make the most of it. Join clubs and organizations, go on trips, study abroad, and live life to the fullest. Don't forget about the academics though. You are there to get an education and although you may not think so when you start graduate programs may become a goal later and screwing around in classes freshman year can cause you to pay later. Have fun, but don't forget why you are there. I also reccommend doing a service trip one spring break. Taking a week to give back to the community is rewarding. You meet new friends and are exposed to different ways that you can help others. The main point is enjoy this time because it only happens once and goes by quicker than you think, get connected and join an organization that has whatever you are interested in, and don't forget to study becuase you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't.

Choose a school based on the fact that it suits your personality, field of study, and ideal environment. Don't just choose a school based on the fact that it is prestigious, and don't think that the higher the tuition is, the better the school. Know thyself. Really, it all comes down to that. Know who you are and be realistic; don't assume that going to a big party school will make you less of an introvert, or that going to a science school will make you like science more. Accept your traits and desires and work with them, not against them. Another important factor is the environment. If you like sunshine, don't go to a school that has rain and grey skies for most of the year; you will only end up depressed. However, once your college is chosen and you move in, it is time to try and step outside of your normal boundaries and grow as a person. Make new friends that are different than the ones in your highschool clique. You aren't required to be involved in everything, but pick something you love to do and have fun with it!

I would tell Nate to get moving on the countless scholarship opportunities and to boost his resume by joining more clubs and adding more community service. In high school Nate didn’t worry too much about the future he knew that he could get into the college he wanted due to his 3.7 GPA but didn’t spend too much time figuring out how to pay for it. Yes he put work into athletics, academics, community service, and work but he missed several big opportunities. One of the best scholarship options out there is that provided by your university for incoming freshmen. Nate missed these deadlines and consequently several thousands of dollars. But even when things don’t go perfect I would tell Nate that the biggest key is to stick with it. Yes you may have missed opportunities but the wonderful thing about college is that it’s all made up of opportunities. Every turn there will be another. So the key to success in college is to keep your head up and your eyes open and with a little luck and determination all the pieces will fall into place.

I work with teens who are struggling with getting into trouble and making poor life choices. I have two pieces of advice for them when it comes to college which is the same advice I wish I could go back and give my high-school senior self. That advice? Go for it! Go for all of it! College is an exciting and challenging life experience and I would recommend jumping right in after high school. As someone who went back to college many years after graduating, I wish fervently that I would have attended right away. It?s worth the time you take to complete your education, and then you?ll be done! Secondly, never forget that college offers so much more variety than high school. Take the opportunity to explore many different subjects and expand your knowledge byyond your experiences. Not only will you earn your college credits but you will enjoy learning about new things and benefit from expanding your view of the world. Get as much out of college as you can, as a student and as a person, there will never be another experience like it!

If I could go back in time and talk to my senior self, there would be plenty of things I would tell my senior self and do many things differently. Coming into my freshmen year in college; I depended on financial aid a lot in order to pay for school. I am the youngest sibling in my family of three current students and the only one who actually have a chance at getting into Pharmacy School. In order to help my parents out more than I have, I would try to apply for plenty of scholarships. The only person working in my family is my father and he is almost at the age of retiring right now. I have not recieved a single scholarship coming out of high school in 2009. I know that this scholarship only covers about 13% of my tuition but its still contributing towards my financial aid debt. Besides telling myself to apply for more scholarships, I would also tell myself to focus more on school and how important volunteer work is in college. I graduated high school with honors and as of right now, I know I can be doing better in school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to slow down. Stay at home longer, don't move out right after graduation. Spend more time choosing a major, it's not the one that seems obvious. Focus less on your boyfriend, you will have the rest of your life with him. Find your motivation before you begin and make the commitment to finish, it is going to have to be something bigger then yourself. Get involved in student life, it may be out of your comfort zone, but the benfits are worth it. Make sure to serve the community, it instills good principles and there are great memories to be made. Get a part time job while in school, do something that sounds fun, not necessarily something for the pay. Take advantages of the free services the college offers, like the math and computer labs. Don't be afraid of online courses, they have many advantages. Keep your priorities straight, visit your family often, make friends and enjoy the journey. These are some of the best years of your life!

Going back to 2009, and looking at how worried I was about the cost of going to school, and the opportunities that I thought I would have to pass up, "for now" because of my financial burdens I would have wished that I would have just followed my dreams and aspirations no matter what. Joining the military was always my goal, but I was encouraged to go to college first before making that big of a decision. I thought it necessary to stress my need for finances, and chose to go to a community college that did not have a care in the world whether or not I attended classes with them. Unfortunately after wasting almost two years of time that could have been focussed on my aspirations of becoming a helicopter pilot, I found out that these financial burdens could have been easily taken care of by simply going to the school that I wanted to and enlisting in the military off the bat, like I ended up doing in the long run. Do what you think is right for you, and go with it. Do not hesitate based on finances or the influence of others.

Julia,Don’t worry so much about making plans. You don’t have to worry! College is fun. Enjoy it. Take your time, meet people, and take classes you like. Your long-term goals will change. You will change. You will become an entirely new person. So don’t worry about figuring out every single thing about your future. Your future will come, and if you spend the entire time worrying, you will have wasted a lot of years. Keep going, don’t give up, and don’t listen to people who try to bring you down. You will make it. Take time to appreciate your classes. If you actually try to learn what your teachers are telling you, you will gain information that you will use every day. There are plenty of people to meet and things to do, but don’t forget to enjoy learning. Also, thank your teachers. They put a lot of work into trying to help you grow. Most of all, college is a great experience. You learn new things all the time, and you have so many opportunities. Don’t forget to sit down, relax, and have a good time. Life is just beginning.

First of all I would suggest you visit the campus of any college or university you are interested in. Most students after visiting can just get a feeling that they can picture themselves at the school. I also strongly recommend that most freshman live on-campus in the dorms their first year, you make a lot of your first friends there that you will probably know the whole way through. The dorms are also geared to get students involved on campus and they are usually centralized so it makes the first year figuring things out much easier. Also take your time the first term to explore and get comfortable on campus. I would start looking into clubs your first term but not joining one until at least your second so you can have time to just adjust. Once you get comfortable I would say get involved as much as you can, most schools have more to offer than most people realize, so just look. Finally remember you aren't trapped at any school you start at, you can always transfer if you find you're not in the right place, so relax.

When I first moved into the dorms my freshman year, I had no clue who I was. I knew what activities I like to participate in, I knew what values I had been raised with but I truly couldn't tell you who Kaitlyn Frazier was. It wasn't until I was completely on my own that I realized I had no identity apart from my family. Slowly but surely, I began to feel out the boundaries of my independence. I began to explore new activates and opportunities. I took the time to reflect on who I wanted to become and what things made me truly happy and unlike anytime before in my life, I actually took action to make them happen. Instead of letting my fears of leaving my comfort zone consume me I began taking risks. I found that as scary as the unknown is, it can also be life changing. No other experience in my life has been more challenging. No other experience has expected me to give more of myself and yet still expect me to give more still. Oregon State University has truly given me a most precious gift. The gift of self discovery.