Pace University-New York

« See more reviews of Pace University-New York

The campus is a HUGE melting pot of identities, personalities and nationalities. This school is very open-mined and friendly to all groups whether it is sexual orientation or religion. The campus has one of everything, meaning we have lesbians, bi-sexual, and gays, and no one is ridiculed for it. The campus has a LGBT ally group called the Gay Straight Alliance. As well as a group for African American students, Black Student Union, Latin American: Organization of Latin American Students, Caribbean:Students of Caribbean Awareness, and Asians: Desi Heritage of Southeast Asia. The school does NOT outcast you for being different. Students wear whatever they feel is comfortable to them. Whether that is sweats and a tee shirt, or all black no one cares what YOU wear. The university is very friendly as I said before. Everyone knows everyone and you can always see different people interacting. You can walk by a Asian interacting with a Hispanic or a Caucasian male interacting with and African American female and a Albino male. In the cafeteria, the tables are mini melting pots. You will see your standard jock table and your upperclassmen tables, but they re not all the same. They are a mix of various races, gender and orientations. We have students from all over the U.S like Georgia, Nevada and Hawaii. We do have some students that are international students from Spain, Uruguay and Asia, but most of the students are from either the tri-state area or the U.S. Financial status is not a big deal on campus. Whether you have more money than another is not important. Majority of the students have received a lot of financial aid from school, whether they had the money to pay the tuition in full or not.

There are students of every kind at Pace. I have never had or heard of bad experiences with discrimination issues. Pace is very accepting of people of all backgrounds and lifestyles. I do not think that any group of people is ever limited in opportunities and I have never witnessed any sort of bias. I do not think that any kind of student could feel out of place at this school. I have seen very race in my classrooms and the halls of Pace. The LGBTQ is prominent and is accepted by many students. I have met students from all socio-economic backgrounds and from all over the world. Their experiences, customs, and traditions only bring more cultural enrichment to the Pace community. There are middle aged adults in my classes that aren't looked at strange for having children and jobs beforehand. I have seen students with physical and mental impairments who still succeed and are treated no different than any other student. Students do not separate into regimented cliques based on race, religion, lifestyle, etc. Students blend and overlap and everyone seems to see each other as people instead of noting people by differences. There are many students politically aware and active. I know of a few Pace students who participated in Occupy Wall Street. The New York Times is provided free to students and you have to get to Pace early to get a paper, because everyone is always eager to read it. One of the advantages of being a school in New York City is the fact that you have easy access to the world and students really do seize that.

Pace isn't a very religious school but there we have some religious clubs. There is the Campus Crusade for Christ, The Chabad Jewish club, and P.I.P.E. which stands for the Pace Inspirational Praise Ensemble. As far as race goes, we have a lot of students and teachers from different parts of the world. We have Black Student Union, African Students At Pace, and a club for students of south Asian decent. There are a few gay and lesbian students here and we have a Gay Straight Alliance. Our Homecoming kid this year is a homosexual. I feel that if anyone would be uncomfortable it would be someone who has a hard time getting involved and meeting new people. There are some cliques, people in the same sororities/fraternities tend to stick together, but most of my friends have different majors and different backgrounds I'd say a good portion of the time the students dress pretty casually but their clothes are nice clothes (nothing ripped, revealing, or offensive). For career and internship fares most students wear suits. A lot of the students here are very wealthy, drive fancy cars, and go out a lot. There are also a sufficient amount of students who are not wealthy and are able to make fun by staying in. Politics is not a big deal at Pace for most students.

One of the other reasons I chose Pace was the diversity. The way I was brought up in my hometown of DC was color- blind. I knew once I visited campus that there was someone of each racial and ethnic group represented in the common areas and the dorm halls. There is not one group that would ever feel out of place here, not even within the international student group on campus. Some groups of people are more willing to interact than others but being in class and doing group projects and other things forces all different people to interact when they may have never thought to before. There are SO many different organizations on campus for ANY group of people, BSU (Black Student Union), SOCA (Students of Caribbean Awareness), VISA (International Students), OLAS(Latin American) are just a few to name. They are all overseen by the Student Association which is run by an executive board. This gives students an opportunity of leadership on campus and is a great resume builder.

Pace University is a melting pot for all students. There is every kind of person at this school, the athlete, the video-gamer, the over-achiever, the sports fanatic, the girly girl, and the laid back musician. The three most popular areas that students tend to be from are Westchester, Long Island, and New jersey. There are also students from upstate NY, California, Oregon, Ohio, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, and even Washington. Students from far states are usually lured in by Pace's sports programs. There is also a lot of racial diversity on campus. I feel like students of different races definitely interact in class, clubs, sports, teams, Greek life, and social life. Financial matters are pretty relevant to students at Pace. Many students are business or finance majors and have a lot of concern for the economy and whether or not theyll get a job upon graduation. For many students, finances is one of their top five concerns.

Describing the students at Pace University in one simple paragraph seems nearly impossible. Why? Because here at Pace, we have such a diverse campus. There are people from all different ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and economic backgrounds. And the best part is that everyone can fit in. The only person that I can say would feel out of place at this school would be someone who was narrow-minded and unwilling to leave their comfort zone. The reason attending Pace is such a liberating experience is because of the diversity. People from all different backgrounds have been brought together under one goal: to be successful. Now, everyone has their own definition of success, but it is obvious everyone here agrees that it starts with a great education.

Pace students are pretty diverse. We have students representing tons of nations and cultures across the globe and members of the LGBT community. Socio-economically, the Pace student body is very diverse. Some of my closest friends come from very different socio-economic backgrounds as well as different races, genders and heritages. Kids don't dress up too much for class...you definitely see a lot of sweatpants, but there are still well-dressed people. This is my third year at Pace and honestly I've only come across a few people who gave me problems or disrespected me. So few, in fact, that I can count them on one hand. Yeah, you'll run into some negative people, but they exist everywhere. My experience at Pace has been very positive.

Students at Pace are motivated, ambitious, and active. We have many different groups on campus from religious or ethnic based to greek to professional based clubs. I don't think any student would feel out of place at Pace because the university offers almost every major or minor. You meet students from around the country and around the world. Students can wear sweats to suits to class. There are of course cliques but only because it's natural to relate to students with similar interests. No one really discusses their financial background but I know Pace gives a lot of financial aid even though it is a private university so I wouldn't be surprised to meet students of various financial backgrounds.

Students that are together the most share common interest of course like any other place in the world. However, that doesn't mean people who are totally different don't know each other and get along. If you're funny and nice, people are not going to mind having you around even if you wouldn't normally hang out together. I've sat at tables with rich white sorority girls and I've sat at tables with Brooklyn girls and both tables have given me the same amount of laughs and I have given the same in return. We don't have to from the same place at my University to be acquaintances in the least. It's just that Pace is a place where you find your own but you feel okay stepping out of that.

There is a student club or organization for every single students, no matter your sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or personal interests. There is a booming Greek life, both Panhellenic and Multicultural. Every student organization gets a back budget from Pace to throw events around campus, and the student body loves going (especially for the free food!). There are tons of different events from movie screenings, dances, mixers, Fall fest and Spring Fest.