Pace University-New York

« See more reviews of Pace University-New York

I would advise them to not only look at what makes you like the school, such as the location, programs, majors that they offer, but to also look at the faculty and staff that are going to be giving you or your child the advice and information they need to get through these four years. It was very hard for me to decide a major and classes that fit into major requirements. The advisors with my school didn't give me the support I needed to make decisions about which classes would fit or not. I still am discouraged about even asking for their help. Initially, you want to pick a school that's going to give you the opportunities that will help you succeed afterwards. However, support and encouragement are just as important because that's what is going to help you get through the next four years with confidence.

I would tell myself to not be as concerned with the name or reputation of a college. I would tell myself to go where they were offering me the most money. Pace has an extremely high tuition but there is no justification for it. I would look around for a cheaper institution. If I felt the money was worth it then I wouldn't mind the amount of debt I will be in when I graduate. But I feel I have wasted a significant amount of time and money with my attendance at Pace. After transferring to Pace I realize now that things were too easy at the time. I would have told myself to stay more on top of my credits and keep better track of everything. Because in the end the only person that actually cares about my education is me. Looking back I would have changed everything I considered important at the time.

I have learned many things from my college experience. While I have learned many of the course objectives that are given in college classes, I have also learned a more valuable lesson. That lesson is who I am, who "Genevive Lusaria" is as a person. In college, while I have been given information, many explaining concepts and procedures, I have also learned what kind of person I am and through that, I have made my decision of what kind of person I want to be. My college experience has helped me better understand the process I need to undergo to make that transformation. Once I've realized my personal goals, I worked to achieve them along with my academic goals. Every class since then has contributed to the person I want to be, building my determination and desire for success.

College provides the challenge to prepare for the labor force and the real job arena that is out there. If there was another word for college it would be catalyst becasue it ensures that to separate the loafers from the workers. Though it sounds a little harsh, college is fun and builds character and commitment. There is more to just reading and lectures. College helps maintain a suitable life with other people from that college and because some colleges have thousands of students, meeting new people everyday is not a challenge. Ultimately, college is an investment that does not gurantee happiness. Sometimes one must work harder than expected to earn a good grade. But what college really has to offer is a path that can lead to suceess. For me, this is why college is so fun!

Just the basic classes, like humanities, opens your mind up to things you never would have looked twice at before attending. For instance, I went into a Japanese steak house recently, and knew that the scrolls on the walls were called "stamps," how they were made, and who made them. Prior to college, I wouldn't even have looked at them. The papers I've written were more opinionated and on broader topics than anything I was allowed to do in high school, and public spe3aking helped me get over my fear of taling iin front of a crowd. Conversations in daily life are more interesting the more educated you are. Studying abroad is something I'd like to do, as learning about different customs in other countries sparked my interest in learning more about the world at large.

College is what ever you make it out to be; fun is easily had at the cost of academics and relentless studying can cause you to miss out on unforgetable life experiences. Balancing academics with enjoying life will ultimately determine how successful and happy you are during your college years and posiibly for many years after. Exploit every opportunity you can, social, academic or any other type of opportunity that should arise, but never lose sight of what is most important. Experience new things every chance you get, deliberately put yourself out of your comfort zone and never be afraid to fail. Take advantage of second chances whenever they should arise but never expect to be given one. Make your college years into the best years of your life.

My advice to parents is to ASSIST your child in making the right college choice. Don't force them to attend the same college you went to-- allow them to make their own decision. Of course you have the final say-so in terms of cost and availability, but a students should allow themselves to choose a college where they feel comfortable. My advice to students is DO NOT look for a party school. Most students who search for party schools end up not taking care of their school work and flunking out of school. Also, never let someone shoot down your dreams...If NYU is your number one choice, if that is your dream school, go ahead and apply because if that is really what you want then you will work hard for it and benefit from your choice in the long run!

If I could go back to high school and give myself advice as to my college career I would tell myself to make sure to pursue my dreams and to become involved on campus. I would tell myself to break out of my comfort zone when going to college and allow myself to get to know all of the other amazing students on campus who each have a unique story and something to offer. I would tell myself to enjoy my time in college because before you know it you'll be graduating and either searching for a job or applying to graduate or professional schools. Above all though, I think the most important piece of advice I could have given to myself would be to encourage myself to discover what I am passionate about and never let an opportunity pass me by.

I would tell myself to breathe and relax. I actually only applied to three schools, all which required an audition process and were top-notch so my chances were slim. Everytime another one of my classmates got a college acceptance, I was extremely happy for them, but doubt began to set in because I hadn't heard from my colleges. Eventually, I found out that I was accepted into all three schools, but the long period of doubt definitely weighed on me. I'd tell myself that everyone's time is different...you can't compare your success to the person around you, and blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter. The only goal you should be setting for yourself is being better than the person you were yesterday.

I would definitely tell myself to keep going, that I was almost there and that I was going to love the first semester of college. I would tell myself to keep working hard on the AP classes because those extra credits definitely came in handy in skipping many a boring required freshman core class. The biggest advice I would give myself would have been to work harder at applying for scholarships. With the crash in the job market and the sudden financial problems that plagued our family, I almost had to drop out on a few occassions. As I look for scholarships now, I realize that I could have gotten so much more money as a high school senior, and maybe could have avoided a lot of my finance-related headaches throughout the semester!