Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus Top Questions

What are your classes like?

Kathryn

My classes are not so difficult as I am a freshman taking mostly Gen Eds. My hardest class is probably language, just because it is something I struggle with, the class itself is not all that difficult. I am taking one course for my major now, which is also somewhat difficult, but it is easy if you put the time and effort into it. Most, if not all, of my classes are interesting and I am always learning something new and a variety of topics.

Jenny

Most 100-level courses are mass classes of 200 or more. Oftentimes it can be hard to concentrate in class due to ambient noise. However, there's a vast system of study tools students have available to them. We have liontutors, which is a tutoring program offered for a small price. They also provide study guides for exams and projects. There's also Notehall, where certain students on campus are paid to take thorough notes and create study guides for exams to sell at a very low price to classmates. Every department has their own tutor system set up by Teaching Assistants.

chelsie

My classes are two things large in class size and taught lecture style. Unlike when I was in high school there is no back and forth between the students and the professor. The professors teach in lecture style only meaning that they come to class and immediately begin speaking. There are no questions to be asked you just sit and take notes and listen. But, on the plus side there are visual aids such as power point presentations that are up that are in my opinion most helpful. Another thing about my classes is that if you miss one it can completely derail you for the rest of the semester because so much information is taught in one class that when you go to the next class your completely lost and its very hard getting back on track. The most important thing about my classes is the work load, it can be very heavy at times especially because you have about 4 or 5 other classes with the same work load. But, the plus side to that is that most of the time professors will give you a majority of your assignments on the first class meeting and their due dates and depending on how you manage your time will make it either easier or harder.

Irena

General Education classes can be very easy, geography and geoscience courses are great! Math courses can be a bit tough especially in lower levels with teachers who have accents. Teachers are usually able to meet outside of class to help.

This video talks about the different colleges on the PSU campus and talks to a student about academic life.

Carson

What can you do as a Penn State Food Science major?