Pima Community College

« See more reviews of Pima Community College

With time comes experience and knowledge. Given the opportunity to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would share with myself some of the most important knowledge that I have acquired transitioning into the college experience. Preparation. Just like every aspect in our lives, without preparation and or planning ahead, makes success a bit more difficult to swing in our favor. Such preparations such as scholarship applications, speaking with advisors and visiting career fairs would be the key focus if a conversation with myself as a high school senior were possible. I found out that all of these preparations are essential in clearing a better path for transition into the college life. Preparation never hurts, but it does hurt not to prepare. Stressing these aspects would be the conversation focus I would have with myself as a senior. I would stress preparation and its importance mainly because I failed to prepare and gather all the right tools for my high school transition to college. If such a conversation was possible my transition into the college life would have mostly likely been a more pleasant and fruitful experience.

Heather, you have excelled in high school. You have matured, more than a liitle, these four years. Endless amounts of advice have drifted from the mouths of caring individuals. Of all the wise words you have received, make sure you remember and follow these five: check that courses transfer first! I failed to find this information my first three semesters of community college and now I must take more than I would have if I had been told these five words before going into college. Credits that I received from certain courses count at Pima and not the Arizona Universities, therefore do not apply to an associates degree for transfer or the baccelors degree that is our future goal. It would be in your best interest to avoid classes that do not transfer to all three universities in Arizona. It will save you time and money, however if you find a class that interests you regardless of these facts, please do not hesitate. I do not necessarily regret them because they helped me prepare and do well in other classes. Some of them were enjoyable enough to be worth the time, money and effort, regardless of any credits.

Independence is a huge aspect of college life. I would tell my high school self that there is an extended range of support available in high school that is not found in college and that students should utilize that support to the best of its ability to prepare for college life. College is a huge changing point in a person's life by the fact that they leave so much behind to start something new and special. The relationships built in high school, between family, friends, the school, and the community usually are parted with and that's what a transitioning student should be prepared for both mentally and physically. They are beginning a life of independence, where they will be individually challenged academically, creatively, and emotionally. This means that high school students should begin to shape themselves to be not only self-supporting, but helpful to their peers as well. From being Native American, raised in a community and school on the reservation barely performing above standards, I know that leadership qualities are significant for a person to influence themselves and the people around them.

It has often been said that "youth is wasted on the young". Wise old men are the product of foolish young men, who have learned, through repetition of folly, how to avoid it. If I could go back in time to give advice to my former, youthful self, I would hope to impart the sense of focus that I feel today. I would suggest that the young man examine himself, find that center of purpose around which our happiness is based, and apply it immediately to building his future self. I would suggest that there were a series of decisions before him that could lead him anywhere in the world, and that each decision had permanent consequences. He could controll whether he would be a king, or rest in a potters field. I would also mention that transitioning to college would be easier if it were done sooner, while the family was still helping. One decade later, it would be much more difficult, with no one else paying the rent. Academically, college is quite similar to high school; in college, however, the student must be self motivated... back again to "focus" and a "center of purpose". Fast foreward to riches!

Little Ms. High School Senior Ariana Cano, There is a lot you should know about college life and making the transition from high school into college. I am just going to give you a few tips to help you before you get there. Start looking for scholarships now and save up some of the money that you are gonna be making this summer at you new job as a server at Red Lobster. Remeber you are going to be in college now. You will need to study more than you ever did in high school. There is no way you are going to be able to pull of the good grades you got in highschool without studying for them in collge. Take advantage of the rescources at your school. There are always tutors in the library and they are always there for students who seek their help. Always remember school comes first! Worry about work and you social life after you have done what is immediately needed for school. One last thing, have fun and don't let stress get to you. :) Sincerely, Future Sophomore in college Ariana Cano

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior I would give myself the advice that finding my path in life is possible in college. I would also advise myself to believe in my potential as a student and let myself discover who I am while getting educated. And I would definitely let myself know that college is different than high school; I could actually choose classes that interest me and follow a path that feels right! I didn't enter college right out of high school to pursue finding myself and my direction in life, and I wasn't aware that this could be accomplished in college. I have discovered that I have found out more about myself now that I am in college than I did before. I think that an educational experience where you emerge yourself in a college atmosphere and test your potential can be very helpful and rewarding in finding who you are. Though often I think some high school students who are unaware of what they want for their future, or are uneducated on college life, and/or aren't financially capable of attending college think the opposite.

Dear High School Sergio, DO SOMETHING! You are really smart, but you just keep laying around, not trying at anything, and wasting your life. Trust me, once you get to college you realize that you could have gotten so much more done, and we both end up regretting that you didn't. Because you're pretty reluctant to do anything, and are pretty much devoid of interests, I'll break it down into steps for you. Step one: Pay attention in class. School is not some meaningless period in life, it is an opportunity for you to learn about the world. There is actual information being taught in these classes, you know. Step two: Do your homework. I know it sounds awful and you usually just cruise by on your test scores, but seriously, you need a good GPA, and the one you have is not good. And besides, taking an hour or two out of your anyhting but busy schedule is not that bad. Step three: Get involved in something. Try theatre, you'll love it. Step four: For God's sake, ask out Jamie! She obviously likes you! Stop being shy about it and just ask! Sincerely, You

I am currently majoring in Bio-Medical Engineering. If I were to give some advice to myself as a high school senior I would start by emphasizing the need to study math. Math is such a huge part of engineering, and it will definitely be useful once you get to college. Also practice writing essays. You will need it for your writing prerequisites, and you will use it in engineering and physics reports. I would recommend learning more about chemistry and biology, so you will have a good foundation already before you get to college. Always make sure to be courteous to teachers. They are only doing their job, same as you are doing yours, and most teachers hugely appreciate someone who is kind and understanding. Also make sure to learn more about a teacher before you sign up for their class. A good teacher can help you for life, but a bad one will confuse you and make your life miserable. Always try your hardest, do your best, and don't settle for second place. Whatever discomfort it may cause in college will be worth it for the whole rest of your life.

As a high school senior I was already entering the work environment because I thought that was the most important thing in life. Boy, was I wrong! I continued to go from minimum wage job to minimum wage job and finally ended up frustrated and angry at the 'no opportunities' of getting out of that trap. It was difficult to improve my quality of life with 'just getting by' financially and life seemed to be passing me by. I also thought it was important to have a boyfriend and didn't see my world without one until I realized that a boyfriend with the same level of skills I had was another dead end. Years later I decided to apply for financial aid and go back to school to improve my life. The grants, loans and scholarships are worth the time and studying is well worth the effort as an investment in improving my quality of life. Although it was scary at first and I had to rearrange my life it has been a blessing to be a student again. This time with determination in hand because in hind sight I've experienced the other side of not having education.

In high school, I don't think I realized the magnitude of attending a university and what it really took to achieve my goals. I worked hard but I don't think I reached my full potential as a student. I would definitely tell myself to do everthing and anything I could to be the best that I could be; don't just settle for average. I didn't realize how valuable financial awards could be to me and the role my grades had in providing me with these awards. I would also tell myself to start being self reliant and more careful with my money because these are important factors in college. My family is anything but wealthy and has been struggling financially for a while now, which has been hard on me as I try to pursue an education without a scholarship. I want more than anything to achieve my educational goals and attend the university of my choice, and if I would have prepared a little better in high school and just worked a little harder, I'm sure I would have been able to secure a future for myself and be presented with greater opportunites.