Claremont, CA
Pitzer College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pitzer College

Fixed  rate loan

Molly

My experience at Pitzer College is comparable to a surf-camp resort combined with constant intellectual stimulation. There is absolutely nothing I would change about it. With access to the resources of the entire Claremont Colleges consortium, the Los Angeles metropolitan area, and all of Southern California's abundance of nature, the learning experience extends far beyond the classroom. It's a college paradise.

Eduardo

Pitzer College is an excellent place for students who would want want to expand their mind and for those who are not really sure of what they want to do in life. Here at Pitzer you are able to attend and try out classes you would not even imagine existed. The students at Pitzer College are very friendly and easy to talk to if need be. Their resources are available for everybody, they are always willing to help you out.

May

Pitzer College is a member of the Claremont consortium, and all students can take classes at any of the other Claremont colleges. Although it is a small school, we have the resources of medium sized or large universities because of the consortium. It is great for students who are passionate about social justice and environmental issues.

Loren

I am an alumnus of Pitzer College and majored in music at the Pomona College Music Department. Pitzer was a great choice for me, the professors were great and they made it a point to make their classes stimulating. Of course being a student at one of the best liberal arts colleges in the United States is demanding, the professors know that the students are at a very high level and will work you hard, but it's so rewarding to be challenged! I found being surrounded by other students who were just as bright (and usually smarter) than me was great...we really had fun in study groups...everybody in the groups were so supportive, it wasn't like other schools where you're fighting against other students...everyone wants the other person to do just as well as he/she does! Pitzer was a great choice and now that I graduated I am absolutely sure that the fact I went to Pitzer, one of the Claremont Colleges, gave me a leg up on getting a high-paying job quicker than most!

Paula

Dear stubborn self; the one wearing mid-drift shirts, straightening your beautiful curly hair, and reading spark-notes instead of books assigned to you. You will grow up and regret that you spent so much time nit-picking at your education instead of picking teachers' brains. You are going to look at pictures of yourself one day and realize how beautiful you were, though you spent countless hours looking for your confidence outside of yourself. You are going to realize that education isn't about good grades and regurgitation of information but rather it will become your greatest yearning as an adult- you will grow up eager to learn, not hoe to solve equations but how to apply problem solving to your life's difficulties. You will not recite world history, but learn how to be creative in creating your own. You will miss all the time you had to read and travel in the world of words, and you will regret not enjoying the time that all that is expected of you is to learn. One day you will sit in an office, craving the classroom. Remember you are smart, beautiful, and talented -- if you choose to be.

That we weren't limited on study abroad semesters.

Ylen

Pitzer is known for having a liberal campus that allows their students to stand for their beliefs and change the world around them. Apart from holding the title of college with the best food, students at Pitzer are also known to be some of the happiest college students. Not only are Pitzer students friendly, creative, and positive, but we are also intelligent and determined. Most of us seek to help make the world a better place through cultural understanding and nearly most of the student body studies abroad before graduating to experience cultural understanding.

Pitzer is a small school, which means that most of the student body knows one another and it is inevitable for students to establish some sort of relationship with their professors. Pitzer does not only feel like a college campus, but it also feels like a tight-nit community in which everyone is willing to help one another. Although it was only established in 1963, Pitzer has made a name of itself in just 50 years. The campus on its own transmits positive energy and provides a friendly atmosphere for everyone. It is a warm enviornment overall.

If I could go back in time, I would tell the high school version of myself two things: learn how to balance your social and academic life and realize that you might not get straight A's during your first semester. At the begining of my freshmen year I made so many new friends and found it difficult to commit to both my social life and my academics. I wanted to be the best student I could possibly be, but at the same time I wanted to enjoy my college experience and new independence. I frequently found myself unable to do both simultaneously and asked myself many times "how can I balance fun and academics when I feel like they are both so important?" Along the line I became better at time management and planning. Even though I felt like I was a good time manager in high school, I realized that my social life was not as important to me as in college. I also noticed college was more challenging and I struggled to get the A's I was used to in high school. Improving my study habits and determination helped become a better student second semester.

You are a high school senior and terrified that you will not do anything capital-G-Great. You have worked hard and done what you are “supposed to” and are off to a good college… but will it be more of the same mediocre drudgery? Not at all. You paid your dues and are off to have some incredible adventures. You earned it. Little do you know, in the next four years you will bike down the SoCal coast, go caving in Israel, move to (and fall in love with) Spain, backpack through nine countries, experience a kilted New Years Eve in Scotland and get frostbite one year later in Canada, study Arabic with the State Department in Oman where you will get gutsy and dress as a turbaned man so you can jog through the mountain villages, run a marathon upon your return, and write two senior theses in English and Spanish literature. So, do not be afraid. You will be Great. And lighten up, dammit. Laugh off mistakes and seek out all the little joys nestled in the world around you. Love the place you are in, the people you are with, and–most of all–yourself.

Politically conservative; uninterested in other cultures, travel, and community projects

Close relationships with professors! I've eaten dinner at every single one of my professor's houses and even babysat some of their kids!

Sasha

The best thing about Pitzer is the students. Pitzer's student body has so much to offer in terms of experiences and stories and talents. If I could change anything, though, I would have Pitzer students get off campus a little more! Personally, I really appreciate the friendships that I maintain with students at all 5C's, and I think Pitzer (along with each of the other schools) can be a little insular at times. That being said, it's wonderful to have the supportive community at Pitzer in combination with the other schools' strengths.

Student activities on Pitzer range from yoga club to student bands to Legal Society. Lots of students participate in team sports (we're paired with Pomona for most of them, but for smaller sports - I'm on the women's rugby team - the team is actually 5C). In and around the dorms, students frequently interact with each other or leave the doors open to the gorgeous California sunshine. Pitzer is actually a tamer party school than CMC or Harvey Mudd, with some students choosing to go off campus to party or drink, but many deciding to spend time with friends or do POA (Pitzer Outdoor Adventure) trips on the weekends. Off campus, Los Angeles is a fantastic resource for cultural events and concerts.

Students at Pitzer don't really like to wear shoes! Our norm-defying moments aside, Pitzer students are, I think, some of the friendliest and most open on the 5C's. While you do find the occasional 'dirty hippie' stereotype, Pitzer students are mostly your every day college students. I will say that conservative PZ students would have a hard time fitting in with the mostly liberal-skewed student body.

My Pitzer classes have all been fantastic. They challenge me to think creatively and write - a LOT! For finals week my first semester, I had about 40 pages in research papers across three (out of five) classes. Where Pitzer lacks in computer science or engineering programs, it's easy to supplement by taking classes at Pomona or Harvey Mudd, while fulfilling Pitzer's personalized graduation requirements and majors. All of the professors that I've encountered at the 5C's have been exceedingly friendly and willing to talk to and get to know students.

I think that the stereotypical Pitzer student is a pot-smoking, passionate-about-the-earth, Environmental Analysis major who couldn't get into Pomona, especially to an outsider (or one of the students from a different 5C who never leaves their campus). This couldn't be further from the truth, and my experiences as a student here. Of all those characteristics, Pitzer students only universally share one: passion. Pitzer, in my experience, has not only been a tamer party scene than CMC or Harvey Mudd or Pomona, it has been a rich and rigorous academic experience, with intelligent and thoughtful classmates. Mostly, Pitzer students are diverse, in experiences and talents. I feel like every one of the people I know here could teach me something new and interesting.

Julie

If I were given the opportunity to go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell her that even though college seems scary, you will succeed. Now is the perfect time to welcome change into your life, and you should do so with an open heart. Leaving your mom, who is also your best friend, is going to be hard but in the end you will be best friends for the rest of your life and no matter how far apart you are from each other that bond will never be broken. Choose the college of your dreams and jump in head first, because college is the best time of your life. Every opportunity is a blessing and going to the college of your dreams is the best thing that has happened to your life in a long time.

The only thing that I wish I would have known before I went to Pitzer was all the different types of people that attend this school. The diversity is what makes Pitzer so special but it was definitely a shocker during the first week all the different people and activities that people partake in.

Honestly there is not one thing that I would change about Pitzer. Every encounter I've had with a professor, staff worker or student has been pleasant. Attending Pitzer was the best decision I have ever made and I cannot think of one thing that I do not like about it.

Pitzer College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.