Pitzer College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Pitzer College

Claire

General culture is wealthy pot-smoking surfer. I transferred out and have never been happier.

Holly

Claremont Colleges are amazing, however the Pitzer hippie drug vibe was really a bummer during my time at the school. Kids are either super wealthy and full pay (often not as academically gifted as the others) or first-gen very high-achieving and intelligent. The dichotomy is tough from a social perspective. The full-pay students are often spoiled and not as hard working and skate by, often smoking a lot of pot. The tuition is also so high...prepare to go into major debt. Professors are amazing but the social experience was challenging - the student body is not cohesive and the drug culture is way too extreme.

Jan

Overall, I love Pitzer. Sure, there are definitely a lot that the institution can improve on, but as a very young college, it has been progressing incredibly well in terms of diversity, access, and really listening to the students. People here definitely do their best to hold others accountable with the 5 core values whether it is a professor, a student, or other faculty and staff members. People here are really friendly, and the food is great. The best part about the dining hall is that the dining hall staff are just really great people if you take the time to get to know them.

Pitzer was my dream school when I was High School student. Now that I am here, I admit there are a few things that I was misled on. For one, it is not as diverse as they say, I experienced culture shock the first weeks and definitely thought there would be more students of color and professors of color. However, there is a very helpful groups on Campus like LSU (Latinx Student Union), First Gen Club, BSU (Black Student Union) etc. that help building a welcoming environment to students of color. The environmental friendliness I believe comes mostly from the school itself and the students with EA majors. The rest of the student body I believe is not really concerned with the environment as much as the school portrays it to be. There is however bins that differentiate recycling, compost and trash, which makes students make subconsciously sustainable choices. Overall, I don't regret coming to Pitzer. I enjoy the small campus, the small classrooms and the amazing food served at the dining hall. There is malls and dollar stores nearby, and the availability of the other Claremont Colleges is really helpful. It's the best of both worlds, a small school within a consortium of other schools. Pitzer is great and I am glad I chose this school to be my home for the next four years.

May

Pitzer College is a member of the Claremont consortium, and all students can take classes at any of the other Claremont colleges. Although it is a small school, we have the resources of medium sized or large universities because of the consortium. It is great for students who are passionate about social justice and environmental issues.

Paolina

Pitzer College is a great campus where one can meet people from all walks of life. There is a large diverse community where groups are always inclusive and work together to solve or bring awareness to larger social issues. Professors are here to help their students succeed and facilities on campus are accessible and often times overlooked by many students. Strong freindships with peers and faculty are formed through deep conversations and open dialogue between one another.

Eduardo

Pitzer College is an excellent place for students who would want want to expand their mind and for those who are not really sure of what they want to do in life. Here at Pitzer you are able to attend and try out classes you would not even imagine existed. The students at Pitzer College are very friendly and easy to talk to if need be. Their resources are available for everybody, they are always willing to help you out.

Julia

Pitzer College has an intimate academic environment, however, it is unique in that socially, you have access to the other 4 schools on campus. This dynamic creates a very supportive learning culture while also providing the means for a vast array of social outlets from clubs to parties.

Loren

I am an alumnus of Pitzer College and majored in music at the Pomona College Music Department. Pitzer was a great choice for me, the professors were great and they made it a point to make their classes stimulating. Of course being a student at one of the best liberal arts colleges in the United States is demanding, the professors know that the students are at a very high level and will work you hard, but it's so rewarding to be challenged! I found being surrounded by other students who were just as bright (and usually smarter) than me was great...we really had fun in study groups...everybody in the groups were so supportive, it wasn't like other schools where you're fighting against other students...everyone wants the other person to do just as well as he/she does! Pitzer was a great choice and now that I graduated I am absolutely sure that the fact I went to Pitzer, one of the Claremont Colleges, gave me a leg up on getting a high-paying job quicker than most!

Molly

My experience at Pitzer College is comparable to a surf-camp resort combined with constant intellectual stimulation. There is absolutely nothing I would change about it. With access to the resources of the entire Claremont Colleges consortium, the Los Angeles metropolitan area, and all of Southern California's abundance of nature, the learning experience extends far beyond the classroom. It's a college paradise.

Amy

Best decision of my life. Involved students, caring faculty, incredible resources, beautiful 5 C campuses, amazing locally sourced food, endless study abroad opportunities, strong school spirit, awesome facilities, charming town, beautiful landscape and setting.

Sara

I would be hard pressed to find anything negative to say about Pitzer and the 5 Cs. You can’t find a more friendly or engaged student body. The facilities, food, dorms etc are pretty amazing. The environment is healthy in every way- there is diversity and respect for differences and students and faculty care about social justice and environmental sustainability. Lots of activism on campus. Parties are awesome but you don’t have to drink or smoke- most people don’t.