Portland State University

« See more reviews of Portland State University

The worst thing about PSU is that it is a large institution with a more nontraditional, commuter student population than most public state universities. This makes it more difficult to develop social networks and a unified campus culture, which tend to be especially important for more traditional college students. However, in spite of this, PSU has a lot to offer to all types of students, including: a breadth of academic programs, campus activities, and student resources; great faculty and staff; a progressive and activist campus environment; and an urban atmosphere that is never boring!

I consider the many unhygienic restrooms and classrooms as one of the worst things about this school. I also consider as well that some of the buildings and dorms are very old and really demand remodeling. I must also say that because the campus is especially located in downtown, you will see many homeless and racist people as you pass by. You may experience theft, harassment, being stared at, and being picked on. This experience doesn't happen that much though. You may also find some educators from nearby schools that are ignorant and racist as I have experienced.

The worst thing about my school is that lately everyone has been worried about the rights of our teachers. Their union and the administration have been going through a contract debate. If things don't go fairly, our teachers will strike and risk Spring term due to the unreaosnable working conditions. We have been having several rallies to pull in staff and student support. The students are ready to back up the teachers, even if it means pausing our degree process. We love our teachers, they have our backs and we have theirs.

The worst thing about Portland State University is the lack of competent counselors. Every experience of mine where I attempted to solicit advice from either career counselors or department counselors was met with frustration. The counselors simply find the answers to your questions in the school bulletin/catalogue, where one can find things on one's own. They had an inablity to provide meaningful elaborations or advice based upon what was found in the bulletin/catalogue.

The worst thing to me is the weather. It rains all the time in Portland and is always overcast and cloudy. Also it's chilly. It's seldom that it's sunny. It can go 2 weeks and the sun will never come out. It was nice in the beginning of fall and in the summer, but in the winter it rains constantly. For me it's a bad thing because I love sunshine and kind of get seasonal depression. I'm getting more used to the rain, but it makes it hard to want to go do anything.

The worst thing for me at Portland State was the lack of interest of guidance counselors unless you were a part of certain programs. I started out in business and changed my mind, eventually leading to a triple minor with a major in Liberal Arts -- no guidance counselor wanted to deal with me, instead I was forced to deal with four different guidance counselors, all of which didn't take my study seriously.

The worst thing about my school is not being able to take art classes without having the departments approval when you are a different major. Students should be able to have the chance to take art classes as electives without having to worry about the classes not being a part of their major. Students should be able to expand and explore other subject areas that may interest them in the future.

I consider the lack of undegraduate research opportunities to be the bigget 'con' to attending PSU. In response to an inquiry to my advisor about how I could get involved with research or projects in my major area, her response was that I am too young in my academic career to have any valuable input on a project. I'm a junior in mathematics and I am sure there is plenty I should be doing.

The worst thing about my Portland State University would be the fact that when the weather is bad out side the inside of the building is full. In other words, the places where you can go to launge and rest get occupied quickly.And so this makes it hard to find a spot just for you and if you do find a place you have to take many steps up and down to find one.

I would consider the lack of social activities in the school. Like I mentioned it is not the most active school as far as parties go. Partying isn't everything don't get me wrong, but it is nice to know that whenever you want there is something going on and in PSU's case that isn't the situation.