Princeton University

« See more reviews of Princeton University

No. There are of course those on campus that are clearly so privelaged they have never had a real job, or know the value of a dollar. But these people are a small minority. A majority of students are on financial aid, and admission is "need blind" so your trypical student has really earned his/her place here. Also, Princeton seems to value a well-rounded student who has demonstrated a sincere dedication to a pet project or interest than a student with perfect grades.

To a small extent, some of these stereotypes do hold true. However, they all fail to cover the full scope of the school and its students. The students are very intelligent and everyone seems to be uniquely talented, sometimes in unexpected ways, but most students are by no means stuck up. The presence of wealthy students may be visible, but it does not dominate the campus, which is far more diverse and progressive than the stereotypes would lead you to believe.

Not everyone is freakishly smart by any means. There is a ton of money on campus - I'm not sure how many people at state schools can start rattling off names of heirs who are their classmates - but just because you are wealthy doesn't mean you are snobby. Most people on campus are nice and not snobby. It's a few people who can give the place a bad rep, but you find that everywhere.

I did not feel that the students were pretentious overall, however, there definitely were groups of people that were elitist. Also, I only felt like people were competitive in certain classes, namely introductory classes for pre-meds. Overall, I thought that students were really helpful and were willing to work together to complete assignments and to study for tests.

Like most stereotypes, these ones are based in history. Yes, Princeton very much used to be an old boys' club that favored the rich, white, and male, but then again, so did most of the other top universities in the country. Today, Princeton is much more diverse and offers incredible academic opportunities to a much wider segment of the population.

People are generally well dressed which I actually find extremely nice. The vast majority of students are liberal although there is a conservative stronghold on campus, which is also very nice. It provides great balance and support for the minority of students.

Not really, I mean, there are kids that outwardly could be considered either of those stereotypes but it's so diverse here that it would be stupid to think there's a "classic" or "quintessential" Princeton student.

There are some of these people at Princeton, and they fit the stereotype hilariously. But as you could probably guess, not everyone fits into these categories.

These stereotypes are somewhat accurate, but of course these observations are not the rule, but certainly can be seen on campus.

A student at Princeton describes what they imagine the school’s reputation to be, and how much truth there is behind the myth.