Princeton University

« See more reviews of Princeton University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

There are many stereotypes about Princeton, including those just associated with all of the Ivy League schools. For instance, Princeton is often perceived as an elite and intellectual institution, and its students as smart, stuck-up, and bookish. To differentiate it from the other Ivies, Princeton is also often seen as more of a traditional institution loaded with old money families and the elite (especially compared with the reputation of some of the other Ivies, like Brown).

That we are all stuck-up, spoiled brats who have had every luxury imaginable handed to us by our parents on a silver platter. That we are all rich. That you have to have a perfect SAT to get in. Or if you don't have a perfect SAT then you have to be a legacy student.

When I meet people outside of campus, people usually assume you are freakishly smart if you are not a varsity athlete. A lot of people assume that you have a lot of money and are preppy and snobby.

That we all wear pastel polo shirts and shorts. That we are very preppy, privileged, and filthy rich. That it is a very wealthy and incredibly prestigious school.

There are two types of "typical Princeton students", in my mind: 1) Jonathan Wentworth McOwnstheworld III 2) Dwight Deefendorfer, the Semi-suicidal Stressball

Princeton is often made out to be a bastion of elitism made up of rich, WASP-y students from New England prep schools and old Southern money.

A student at Princeton describes what they imagine the school’s reputation to be, and how much truth there is behind it.

Princeton students are extremely preppy. Princeton pre-meds are uber competitive, obsequious, and socially awkard.

A student at Princeton describes what they imagine the school’s reputation to be, and how much truth there is it.