Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Rensselaer is a particularly diverse school. At roughly 4800 undergrad students, the school has a number of clubs to support the different groups at Rensselaer. Additionally, Greek life and athletics make up a portion of students. It is really difficult to sum up students are Rensselaer besides saying that they are smart and determined people. No matter what you hobbies or beliefs are, there are people and clubs that are interested in the same things.

Many classmates are hard-working, very intelligent, and enjoy many extra-curricular activities. No one on campus doesn't know how to have fun outside the lab, whether that's by singing, dancing, fencing, video gaming, board gaming, writing for the school newspaper, playing an instrument, or playing sports. I'd venture a guess that 95% of the students on campus are involved in at least 1 club or organization, and many of these are involved in 2 or 3.

Most of my classmates are on the nerdy side--result of going to a tech school, but their tech-savviness is convenient--and it's so easy to make friends; of course, there are many socially awkward people here, but that makes it all the more simple to find people with equal interests as you (there are plenty of people trying to make friends who understand them), so it's really nice--but they sure can throw decent parties.

The mix of people at RPI is very multi-cultural. There are a lot of Asians and Indians they tend to hang out in there own groups. I don't think anyone could really feel out of place here because there is so many different kinds of people, maybe the only one who wouldnt fit in is someone who really doesnt care about school and is just there for the good time, but they probably wouldnt get in in the first place.

The student body has a defined majority of Caucasian nerdy white males, but that doesnt mean other groups dont exist. Everyone seems to get along fine, and everything is laid back when there isnt a ton of work to do. Some students are centered on certain things, but this is the case anywhere, and the spread across the campus seems to me to be a fair distribution of what is like in the real world.

There is something for everyone at RPI, although the general population tends to be white, conservative, upper-middle class males. That having been said, there are plenty of minority groups on campus, religious groups, LGBT, etc, but they are small. As a generalization, most students are very book smart in their field, but are not intellectual or well-rounded.

Plenty of groups to become a part of, plenty of nerds to ruin these groups. I noticed that around junior-senior year students become overally set in their clubs, groups, fraternity, etc. that they are afraid to branch out and meet new people with different interests from different social groups.

It a pretty white student body with your fare share of asians, indians(india), and African American. Fraternities and sports teams/clubs make up many of the groups on campus, with the rest being those who tend to study and play video games more than going to parties or going out.

There are a lot of "nerdy" people, but if you can't make friends with them for some reason, there are "normal" people too. There really is no problem finding friends. Some people can be annoying, but I think for the most part people are modest about their intelligence.

Mostly males, but I like to say that we have a 50/50 ration because half of the guys don't leave their rooms. Students here are very driven to do well. Most students are about the same intelligence but their are deffinetly some exceptional students.