Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Racial experiences on campus is pretty good. This school is pretty white but i don't mind that. Personally I've had good experiences with other races on campus. I personally think that LGBT shouldn't be a group but thats my personal opinion base on my religious belief. I don't think you would feel out of place at this school whether your black, white, Asian or Hispanics. Most student wear jeans, short and t-shirts to class. The interaction is good between different groups. The four tables are the jocks , nerdy of the nerds, the normals, and the minorities. The minorities hang out a lot with each other. The jocks hang out with each other because thats there teammate and they don't really have time to meet other people like that. The normals fall in between minorities and jocks. The nerds are the really weirds students who has the best heart but don't know how to interact with other students. Most students here are back by financial aid but it is a prosperous financial background. Students are not politically aware at all as they should be.Most of the students are center and left and some right. Most of the students that goes here will make it really far in their career and money is talk about more now that we are an ivy.

There are some crazy Republicans on campus. Not all Republicans are crazy; some of them, including ones here, are nice and agreeable people. But we've got some crazy backwater bigot baboons here, country boys who were raised in barns. College should be a wake-up call for them, but sometimes it isn't. Our on-campus Republican organization is one of our stupidest student collectives. Who'd feel out of place here? Floridans. Liberal arts majors. Literature majors. We're a polytech, with a very small number of women. Do the math. Most students wear coats and backpacks to class. Smart ones wear boots. Students tend to interact with other like-minded students. We're a stubborn bunch, I think, and very proud. Most of us form sets of small friend circles that overlap. People come from many financial backgrounds here, and RPI has a work-study system that allows less monetarily endowed students to earn some dough. We're predominantly liberal, politically. And we tend not to talk about money, unless we're blasting the tuition costs.

The most radical anti-gay sentiment I have received on campus was while I was walking to the dining hall holding hands with my girlfriend and a van drove by with the windows down yelled "dykes" and throwing a soda bottle at us. My roommate freshman year sought a room change when she found out I was a lesbian, but changed her mind after getting to know me. Many of my friends say that they have changed their previously negative opinions about gay people after interacting with me and my gay friends and realizing that we are just normal people. I feel that there is a stronger prejudice against gay or transgendered people than might immediately be guessed when visiting the campus. Campus atmosphere is generally pretty relaxed but people tend to keep to themselves when walking to and from class. The majority of the social interaction occurs in the Union or in residence halls or off campus housing.

Well RPI is a fairly diverse place. There are people from all over the country and all over the world in attendance here. There aren't a lot of strong convictions amongst the whole student body but lots of small groups advocating certain issues. I'm not sure what kind of kids wouldn't fit in, people who are not prepared to put in lots of work and effort would not survive here. But it is a generally accepting place. Kinda generally wear whatever casual stuff they feel like to class. All student groups generally interact and the school culture is well integrated. There is a fair amount of rich kids at RPI and also a lot from poor families. The school provides a lot of financial aid so that lots of people from different backgrounds can attend. Students are a little politically active but are generally apathetic abotu what does not directly affect them.

There's a lot of diversity on campus, I know people from Argentina, Thailand, Uzbekistan, and China. There are a lot of cultural and ethnic groups on campus. The Black Student Alliance is especially popular. Most students wear nasty sweatshirts and jeans or cargo pants to class, although there is considerable variation across majors. You are more likely to find sweaters and button up shirts in the Management department or even some of the Humanities and Social Sciences majors such as Economics and Science, Technology & Society. Most students are from NY, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, although there are also many internationals and people from all around the country. The vast majority of students know little about politics, although there are active Republican and Democrat organizations.

There are a lot of Asians, and Caucasians, not some many African American students. The school is expensive so you do see a fair amount of rich kids, although there are also students who come here taking out numerous loans and can barely afford the tuition raises. The spectrum of students ranges from typical RPI "nerd" wearing their red RPI hoodie to the prissy Sorority girl wearing a blazer and heels. I believe no students would feel out of place here, we really do have all kinds of people. Most students are from the New England, and New York region, although we do have students natively from China too. The range of culture at RPI is large, once you come here you will find your group of people and realize you aren't alone.

Architects tend to dress the best on campus. There are four tables in the student dining hall, and they're all filled by freshman eating good food. I'd say that most of the student body is white, but there are definitely a good number of minority students. I think that because many of the difficult majors, such as most of the engineering facets and architecture, draw hard-working intelligent, and also awkward types, there is a niche out there for everyone. The people who are going to have a hard time coping with being at RPI are those ill-prepared to work. Slackers don't do well. There are a lot of schools where you can coast by doing the minimum amount of work... RPI isn't like that - unless you're really brilliant.

Most students have a a geeky quality or two but are by no means geeks (except comp sci majors). There is definitely a very nerdy community within RPI but it isn't overwhelming. Some majors are very tight groups and stick together a lot but even they have friends form all different majors. The only real exception to that are the architects who are too busy with studio to interact with the rest of the world. As far as race and financial backgrounds go there is a real mix but middle class describes most. There are large amounts of Asians and Indians and most of the locals in Troy are black. Race really isn't too big an issue within the student body but the locals don't like RPI students.

I can't think of anyone who would feel out of place at RPI, outside of A) stupid people and B) liberal arts majors. Most students dress very casually for class (I wear hoodies and jeans usually). Most RPI students are from the NE, but I've met plenty from all around (MN, CA, TX, NV). All financial backgrounds exist here b/c of financial aid. Political awareness is generally commonplace, and no one side (liberal/conservative) dominates campus. RPI grads make a lot of money generally (especially those from the school of engineering), so we sometimes find ourselves looking to the future with hopes of nice paychecks.

There's a good mix of races and backgrounds in RPI. While there's still a caucasian male majority (and also a significantly higher ratio of men to women), there's a good integration of ethnic groups. Many students are of the electronics culture, which means that many students will be into computers, video games, new gadgets, and the internet. Though, in all honesty, it seems that there's a group of people for every type of person out there. Show up with the best smile from your drawer and an open mind, and you should be fine.