Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Freshman year dorms are very social, half the doors are open at any given time and you can just walk in and talk to people. The parties are always at the frats, and its easy to find one on Friday night, as juniors and seniors with cars come into the freshmen dorms to pick up their friends and will usually let you hitch a ride as well. The ratio of male to female here is i think a little better than 3 to 2, but since a surprisingly high amount of guys just stay in their room and play wow, its essentially 1:1. There is a really good Bus and Shuttle service that brings you to the 3 story Crossgates mall and Albany region, so if you're looking for something to do on the weekends, you won't need a car.

Anything athletics is very popular at RPI. Over 75% of the student population participates in club sports, intramural sports, or varsity sports. And there is every sport imaginable, anything from basketball, rugby, quidditch, hockey, weight lifting, to ultimate frisbee. This is where a lot of people meet their friends, if not during orientation or through Greek life. Intramurals are very popular, and students usually come to watch those or cheer on their friends. Varsity sports are also popular, and since the East Campus Athletic Village was built in 2009, it has allowed school spirit to really skyrocket. Hockey and football are very popular to watch, but soccer and lacrosse are also big events.

Besides hockey, which is division I, I believe RPI has division III athletics (for the most part at least). There are numerous clubs on campus, both academic and athletic. Fraternities seem to be an important part of the social life. Movies are offered every Friday and Saturday for two dollars. These movies are ones that haven't been released on DVD yet. One time, we got a free screening to a movie that hadn't come into movie theaters yet, Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Off campus, there are concerts and revolutionary hall and a bowling area within walking distance. Crossgates Mall is pretty close, but if you take the bus, it takes about an hour to get there.

The social scene is getting worse and worse, thanks to Shirley Ann Jackson's curtailing of Greek events. Because of the neighborhood and the general surroundings, the social scene was centered around fraternities, with 30% of students going Greek. There are fraternity scenes for everyone- from your typical jocks to engineers to video gamers to social outcasts. Recently, Jackson has been trying to cut down on Greek life, leaving students with nowhere else to go. This has stirred a controversy among students, who are generally disgruntled about the poor social aspects of RPI.

Athletics and Greek life are the two primary activities and groups on campus. Division 1 men's and women's ice hockey are popular activities to watch as well as our football games. A lot of students are out there supporting each other. Greek life is the other big aspect at Rensselaer. Comprising nearly 1/3 of the student body, Greek life can be many things for students. Yes, social life is a big aspect but so are academics, stewardship, community service, leadership, etc. Greek life takes on a whole new meaning at Rensselaer in a good way.

There are a lot of different groups to join at RPI and hockey games are really a big hit on campus. Also for weekends frats are huge around campus so there is always a party somewhere. There are sororities but they are dry so not many people really pay attention to them. If you are not into drinking I dont know what there is to do on campus but there is places around the area to go watch a movie or shop.

greek life is big at rpi; if there was no greek life i honestly dont think i would have lasted here this long. especially for girls, it is often hard to find that "group" because there just arent enough girls to do so. sororities make that happen, so its good. i think rpi has a broad range of activities, but they tend to give more notice and funding to those that are computer or video game related

Students need to take a walk off campus once in a while. Maybe play some Ultimate Frisbee and benefit from a social gathering such as a house party. I'm a firm believer of enjoying life as well as educating oneself. Students need to learn how to party and how to party responsibly early in their times in college in order to have the most beneficial and enjoyable experiences.

Unfortunatly I'd say that the athletics at RPI tend to be somewhat mute. Or at least in the realm of intermurals and pick-up games it can sometimes be difficult to find a gang to hang out and play with on that beautiful saturday afternoon.

Fraternity parties are really the only social life on weekends. Usually only girls and other Greeks get into parties. Always a list, but girls are always on it, even If some people can't get on it.