Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

The kind of person who should attend RPI is one who is not only serious about his/her academics, but one who looks to better themselves in terms of leadership, professional development, and networking. Many of the students attending RPI graduate and move on to doing great things in life. These individuals are worth building a bond with. In terms of leadership and professional development, RPI has many work shops and opportunities which aid in skills such as resume building and interview etiquette. One such opportunity is the career fair in which many companies come to RPI and recruit students.

Many people would give an arm and leg to be able to attend RPI given its prestige and superiority, not to mention its renown for being one of the best (and THE oldest) technological and research institutes in the country. The only catch is that studying there, contrary to many other colleges, is the furthest thing from a walk in the park. However, if one is disciplined, has developed a good work ethic, and most importantly, realizes (and appreciates) just how good of an education they are receiving, then they would surely thrive at this school.

Someone who likes smaller schools and is afraid of the larger state schools. Students should be academically strong, and ready to do battle with their classes year after year. There is no room for slacking, as that will lead to you flunking out. If you do not take academics seriously, this is not the school for you. Students should work well in groups for projects, know how to study, how to teach themselves as professors only teach half the course, the rest is up to you.

People who are interested in learning, and can focus on schoolwork, but still find time to socialize should come here. People who love watching anime or dressing up in costumes or playing video games or making fun of people who do these things should come here. People who like partying, running from zombies, watching hockey games, snowboarding, and being shot by nerf guns should come here. RPI is a school full of nerds and proud of it. Ugh, I just lost the game. :)

It's difficult fitting in here for a lot of people. I would recommend people who are used to snowy weather and don't mind going to a school with mostly male population and almost everyone is an engineer. It's definitely a great place for unique people who may not have fit in perfectly in high school. Everyone is bound to find friends here, and the Greek system makes it possible for really social people to be comfortable as well.

You should really be dedicated to your overall education. It can be a challenging school but if you put effort into your work you can succeed while still having a social life. Being a technical school the main focus is Engineering, oriented towards those strong in the math and sciences, but there are other options for majors as well with Architecture, Management, Psychology and other such majors.

There are all sorts of people who go here that fit in just fine. Students tend to be capable of completing their work and relatively sociable. It does help to have a hobby or a passion outside of school, whether it be a sport or a club. It's also good to get involved. Filling up your schedule is not a bad thing at all. It keeps you busy and keeps you active.

People considering attending this school first need to have an engineering mindset. They must have an analytical mind and an ability to break down complicated systems into simple parts. Finally, they need to very smart, very hard working, or some combination of the two.

A person who is serious about getting a good education, but enjoys having fun when all of their school work is done. There is a place for everyone to find friends and be involved in what you want to do, while growing as a person and as a student.

Middle class, mediocre achiever, one who likes to be told what to do and how to do it, someone who takes stock in their "status" and their school's "reputation." Also must be from NY, NJ, CT, MA area in order to be able to handle Troy.