Providence, RI

Rhode Island College

« See more reviews of Rhode Island College

I am a proud graduate of an affordable state college. A liberal arts education is essential to modern success and my college provided a solid foundation. Facilities were not ideal and academic standards were not always appropriately challenging but I graduated with little debt and with certain invaluable skills. I learned to set higher standards for myself than were imposed and I learned how to find the resources to meet those higher standards. I commonly researched professor credentials before registering for courses and ventured off campus to connect with local professionals and professors at other institutions. Ultimately, a college education is worth only what the student is willing to invest. The value in my experience was learning to ask the right questions, find solutions and evaluate information and opportunities. I advise college applicants to base their decision on the institution?s ability to meet their individual needs and to proactively seek alternatives as their needs change. The independence, self-motivation and critical thinking skills obtained during these undergraduate years have enabled me to excel in the professional world and as a graduate student at a more prestigious institution. For this reason, I hope to be your choice for this award.

I initially majored in Print Journalism, but newspaper jobs are rapidly disappearing. Now, I am pursuing Web Design certification. That, combined with my journalism and insurance sales experience, will enable me to transition into public relations or marketing. It also will enable me to continue writing, but for online publications and will open a whole new world to me. The future of journalism is pointing to electronic communications, so Web Design will enable me to upgrade my skills and compete in a rapidly growing market. Unfortunately, I can't afford to continue my education without additional financial assistance. And, if I don't continue my education, I will not be able to compete in my chosen job market. Attending college is my ONLY option. I love learning, and interacting with students and professors who hail from different parts of the world. College teaches us all about time management, how to meet deadlines, prioritize projects and other skills that will be put to use in the real world. College provides opportunity and teaches discipline while showing us how to work with people who might be different from us. I wish it was mandatory for everyone to attend for one semester.

Speaking to my high school senior self, the best advice I can give is to persevere. High school is only a small piece of your individual growth; "growing up" is a time people generally associate with physical and emotional pubescent growth. The truth is that high school is the easy part. Going to college is actually the beginning of your adaptation into a fully functioning and independent human being, and that is what you have wanted all your life. Everything about college, from choosing a major to meeting new people, may seem terrifying and confusing; because it is...it is supposed to be. The transition into college will bring forth enormous challenges relating to social skills, academic success, and self-discovery. Chances are the challenges you meet may cause you to fall into the lowest form of yourself; one that you did not know existed. You will not be sure what to do in order to solve the problems you face, but with perseverance you will metamorphose into the highest functioning form of yourself. You will learn from these struggles and find your potential. When times seem too difficult and you aren't sure you can manage? Persevere.

Knowing what I know now, I would advise my seventeen-year-old self to consider my options as far as other majors. I had my mind set on nursing at such a young age that I didn't let myself acknowledge the broad range of alternative possibilities. Now that I have successfully changed my major, two years later, I couldn't be happier. However, I wish I realized this sooner before spending such extended time on strictly science based courses. I would also advise ending a personal relationship which held me back from living on campus my freshman year and enjoying extra curricular activities I could have flourished at; due to jealousy and childish behavior on their part. Last but not least, I would advise to never give up on myself, stay determined and strong, understand the transition is awkward and stressful but amazing and necessary. Success is achievable even through midterms, finals, exams, doubts and uncertainty. On the other hand, I would only share that last piece of motivational advice. Simply because all my experiences and decisions have led to the development of the mature, responsible, independent woman I am today.

If I were allowed this chance, I would tell my high school self to really put all of their energy into making sure college applicatons are completed correct and meet the highest standard during the heat of College Application season. Also I would advise that my high school self should figure out all of the financial parts for EACH INDIVIDUAL SCHOOL. The school may be the school of your dreams, but it may also cost 40,000 dollars a year. If you know your realistic financial situation then be realistic when picking schools. On the contrary, if you will stop at nothing to go to the school of your dreams, then find ways to pay for it. The transition from High School to College is extreme. It's extreme because of one big thing that College students are given, FREEDOM! Freedom is not free, so DO NOT abuse the privilage. When you start to abuse it, you will lose yourself and the plans you had for your life. Use your freedom wisely, because one little mistake could change your life forever, which is especially hard when you are an independent. In short, stay focused on YOUR own goals and aspirations!

Astronomers estimate 100 billion stars inhabit the Milky Way––but our galaxy is not lonely. There are trillions of galaxies, the sum of whose stars is larger than the total grains of sand on Earth.So seriously, Adam, slow down. The universe doesn’t revolve around you. Don't let this trouble you. You’re kind and aware; you always will be. I say this more as a reminder. Be patient. Set boundaries. And most importantly, seek perspective. Strive every day to understand the little things against a larger backdrop. Perspective is something you’ll find and lose time and again. Perspective is a stubborn child, who even as I write this is growing, and just like you, becoming some new and curious edition. And that’s okay.You’re graduating high school at 15 years old. People drive cars for 20 years; they hold down jobs for 50, and live for twice that long. This is perspective. Sorry, I don’t have any revealing facts to help you, no prophetic list of choices you should make. Instead, I offer something better: Be aware of the stars. Be aware of you. These two actions are really not that different.

Personally, I got a reality check in college. I come from a town where everyone knows everybody else's business, where there are at least two cow farms, a main road that only lead to the library and teachers knew students on a personal level and how far to push them. I had always been self-driven, but, living on campus, self-driven took on a whole new meaning. Though the classes were interesting and and important, something else shaped my freshman year. I had taken DARE programs in elementary school, but I never expected to witness everything I saw at school: teen drinking (and what comes with it), financial difficulties, drug abuse, rape horror stories, abortion, crushed dreams, and so much more. I took care of friends that were too drunk to remember in the morning and cried with friends who didn't know where else to turn. Back home, this either never happens or everyone is just too proud to get help. I think the college experience prepared me for what I need to know- I now know even something as simple as a smile and a wave can have a huge impact on someone's life.

Dear Past Self, You have a lot ahead of you; joys and difficulties alike. Successful accomplishing of your goals will take organization, careful planning, and diligence. Most importantly, though, you're going to need to learn the art of Perseverance. These next couple of years will bring experiences that test you; they'll stretch you till you think you might split in half! That's okay though---you can make it through. Don't give up! Tests and studying will, at times, make your brain feel like a stuffed pig! This too shall pass, and you'll be all the smarter for it. Don't give up. It's worth it in the end. Whether you're juggling car problems, rushing from class to make it to your part-time job or just trying to build relationships with friends during your time off from real "learning," you'll be learning still; the importance of tenacity. Life takes perseverance. Don't give up! Never surrender to difficult challenges; only be strong and courageous when you face them. Just like the "Little Engine That Could," if you just keep thinking you can…eventually, you WILL.

"In your journey for applying to a college, the first real step is researching all of the potential colleges you're interested in. You should compare and contrast the prices and programs of the schools so that you can determine which will be better beneficial to you for the price you're paying. Disregard the level of competition and the pressures the school, or any peers, may put on you to be successful; you should do the best that you can in every subject and never settle for slacking if it is common amongst the students - just because people may want to settle for 'ok' grades doesn't mean that you should - ALWAYS work hard. Join some clubs, you might find yourself interested in things you never thought of before, and it will help you gain a better focus on the paths you may want to take. Do your work ahead of time, this will leave space in case something comes up. Also, remember take care of yourself so you have the energy to focus on other things. Most importantly: work hard play hard - find time to enjoy yourself and socialize to give your brain some off time."

They would be many decisions that I would make to myself if I was a high school senior again. One of my biggest recommendation is how important college in life is. I always knew that college is not only important in the educational level, but also in the personal aspect too! You wouldn't want to be someone with money but with no education, what good is that. I prefer living within the normal needs but have a solid background. Remember when a human dies that's they take. Also reinforce my math skills, and also I wish I would off involved myself more in school and outside activities beside soccer, and salsa dancing. In addition find different types of help with scholarships, and methods how to improve collge experience for the next four years. Furthermore visit the college that I will be attending to have an idea how is the atmosphere. Lastly find more information about the major I will be in collge for. All in all since I know that I can't return time I wish my message would be passed to many seniors in high school so they see the importance of education (college).