Rice University

« See more reviews of Rice University

Rice is not a very athletics-oriented school. The popular people at a college are the people who choose to be really involved in the college life, by eating at the college all the time, going to campus events, working in college government, etc. The way that residential colleges split the university up means that there's not a core group of people who are popular campus-wide. Rice parties, like most parties, tend to involve copious amounts of bad music and worse beer, but they can still be fun. They're not a meat market, and a lot of the big parties are more about goofy dancing and having fun than hooking up. That said, relationships at Rice tend to either be random hookups or very serious long-term relationships. Casual dating is not particularly common.

Most popular groups: There really isn't one. Muslim Student ASsociation (MSA): I'm involved in this organization. It's a great group, I really enjoy being part of it. MSA hosts interfaith dialogue events and the Fast-A-Thon. In my dorms people don't leave their doors open. Atheletic events: not really popular Guest speakers: Popular if famous or if topic is interesting closest friends: Through organizations 2 AM: Doing homework Traditions/events: Beer Bike People partying: Don't know, I don't party so I'm not involved with the party scene. Frat/sor: None at RIce Last weekend: Went out of town, it was spring break Saturday night: not much to do, hang out with friends, go out to eat off campus: hang out with friends, go to teahouse

to participate in: intermurals? to go to: certain sports my group: athletics, go to games, hang out with, play varsity doors open: some yeah, but not a good idea... athletic events: depends on the sport, wish more people went guest speakers: I have no idea theater: pretty well attended, I think dating: um, some meet freshman week and date the whole time, seem to be lots of couples, beats me I always dated outside Rice closest friends: knew them before/they don't go to Rice with me...soccer, dorm/freshman week 2am Tuesday: tv or homework, talking to long distance friends traditions: beer bike, nod, disO, Oweek

The residential college system is mostly positive, but it has some negatives. You have a built-in family and support system. But a lot of people don't become friends who students who aren't in their college. Most students leave their doors open. Some athletic events are popular (baseball), some are not (football). If you don't drink, join the club! There are lots of students at Rice who don't drink. And lots who do. Rice has great traditions: Beer Bike (truly better than Christmas). Jacks (pranks played on other colleges during O-week and Willy Week). NOD (night of decadence). Other residential college parties.

There are social activities for anyone at Rice. If you drink there are parties. If you don't, there are social activities put on by the colleges, or you can hang out with the majority of kids that don't drink at Rice. If you smoke, there are people that smoke. Pretty much if you do anything, you can find someone else with your interest. It might take a little while to find someone sometimes, but they're out there. Any friday or saturday there is almost always a party somewhere, a social gathering, or people just playing pool in the commons.

Athletic events are very popular on campus it just does not seem that way because the student body is so small. The campus is very safe and I always leave my door unlocked. Rice students like to drink, a lot. Houston is a great town and offers a variety of bars. If you want to drink underage most mexican restaurantes have amazing margaritas and usually will not card, or you can just stay on campus and find one of the many kegs beings tapped on the wet campus that is rice.

If I'm up at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm probably stumbling back to my room (or someone else's) from Willy's pub. It's open every weeknight til 2 (or 7 on Fridays), and I always have a lot of fun there. There are trivia nights, college pub nights, and all kinds of nights. Twice a year, it becomes a club; every Friday, you can get a bucket for $10 at Happy Hour. I love pub.

Athletic events are only popular if students can get something free out of it. Other than that, most students don't care about our sports teams. The dating scene is very pathetic, mostly because everyone feels like they have to use alcohol as a social lubricant. Very rarely do people have sober fun, and when they do, they always surprise themselves.

I love the college system! It builds great traditions and rivalries. I love college sports and everyone coming out to the games, the sense of community at Will Rice (my residential college) the legacy of alumni related to the college. Beer Bike is the best day of the year- the greatest holiday ever and Will Rice Will Sweep!

Most popular club is Powder Puff. Im involved in FCA, its a great time and tons of food, friends, the Word, and fellowship. Athletic events are a "back burner" concern to most students. The dating scene sucks. Period. Its like high school all over again, everyone knows everyones business.