Robert Morris University

« See more reviews of Robert Morris University

Getting accepted into Robert Morris University (RMU) has fulfilled the first part of educational goals by pursuing my Bachelors Degree in Business obtaining my law degree. Since I was 10, I've dreamed of a career in law. As a freshman at RMU, I?m currently taking Legal Environment of Business which is an overview of basic general law. Introduction to Financial Accounting shows basic concepts and how it's handled in the business world. In high school, the first law class was Business Law with the civil aspect peaking my interest. Senior year classes taken included Accounting and Pursuit of Justice. My Comparative Government class compared six different countries and compared how their government operated. As a People to People Student Ambassador, I traveled to Australia/New Zealand and became interested in other countries government. Law classes were my best subjects while accounting gave me problems. Due to illness and to finish an accounting project, I arrived early, worked through my lunch and even stayed after school. Testing in college covers more material and it?s a bit challenging remembering every detail but additional studying ensure a good grade. No matter the challenge I work to my best ability.

If I had the opportunity to explain the transition from my high school experience to my college career I would include advice about time management, social expectations, and picking the path that was right for myself. First I would express to myself the importance of being able to manage my time. Staying on a schedule and making sure to balance my time would have helped with my workload of freshman year. I would also give the advice not to be easily influenced or swayed by the social networks on campus. I would tell myself to remember that my first priority is to be a student and receive my degree. I would want my high school self to know that is acceptable to stand out and be an individual who is focused on her academic success, and not to be afraid if you don't fit into the social norms of college campus life. Finally I would make sure that my high school self knew to pick her own path and find the major and college career that suits her the best. I would tell her to find the path that exemplifies her best qualities and be certain in her choices.

My undergraduate degree is in economics. So, on the face of it, I've learned countless terms and formulas, graphs and charts, analyses and research methods as part of the economics curriculum. These things are what I received because I made my tuition payments. However, the aggregate of what I've gotten out of my experience is inifinitely more. I discovered who I am. I discovered, fully and completely what I enjoy and conversely, what I do not. I was exposed to cultures and perspectives I had previously known next to nothing about; I even got to live those cultures through a semester abroad. I saw different people and how they viewed the world; how they took the same stimuli I was receiving and analyzed it, processed it and eventually came up with an answer. I took all of these things and developed my own personal process to determine what is worthy of belief and what is not. My college experience did more than teach me what GDP is or where to invest my money. It showed me who I am, what I stand for and most importantly, why I stand for them.

If I were given the opportunity to go back and time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are a few simple things I would say. First, ?Don?t let your pride keep you from dropping a course.? second ?Take school seriously!? and lastly, ?Save some money to buy stock in Gloria Jean?s coffee in February of 2009.? Seriously though, that pride I mentioned resulted in a couple F?s on my transcript. I was stubborn and refused to accept that I didn?t know everything. When I graduated from high school, I jumped straight into college with a feeling that, nothing being taught was relevant to my life, so, why care? This resulted in lackluster effort, as well as below average performance. I lost merit aid, and failed a couple courses that I had no business failing, simply because I didn?t attend class. Had someone beat it in my head in high school how important to my career it would become to take college seriously; it would have saved me a bunch of heartache, a lot of money, a trip through the Marine Corps, and maybe even from writing this essay.

It is very important to go look at schools before you pick one, make sure the classes you are required to take for your desired major are ones you'll enjoy or be able to handle. Also make sure you talk to someone about your desired major because there may be different departments that have your major but the classes that are required may not meet all your requirements. It is important to pick a school you feel comfortable at, not just one that all your friends are going to. Your education is one of the most important things in your life, it is important to make the right decision. Dont choose the first school you look at, make sure you give others the chance because they may have things that are more appealing than the first school had. It is important to make the decision on your own, dont let anyone else make the decision for you. This is the time in your life where you have to start making decisions, let them be your own decisions. Grow up and live your life, go to a school that will be fun and will give you a good education!

If I give myself advice I would say to; choose a major in advance, start the semester strong, and stay focused on my schoolwork. Firstly, I would tell myself to decide on a major before signing up for classes. If you don’t, you might discover once you have picked a major that your school does not offer the classes you need. It saves time and money to have an idea of what you want to do ahead of time. I would also tell myself to work hard from the very beginning of the semester. Since there are such few grades you received each term, if you are not focused the beginning you will have to spend the rest of the semester trying to raise your grade which is very difficult. It is easier to avoid this stress altogether by doing well from the beginning. Lastly, I would recommend ignoring my personal feelings about my classes. I didn’t like my first classes so I gave little effort and got lower grades. It is better to pass the class than to do badly because you didn’t like it and have to repeat it later.

Yes, you go to college to get an education, but I hope you do not go to college just to get an education. College is about experiencing new things while transforming from a child into a productive member of society. It only happens once and you need to make it as enjoyable as you can. Your friends in college have the biggest influence on the type of person you will become in the real world, so make sure you choose a school where you feel you fit in. Don't try to force yourself into a college that doesn't feel right for you just because your parents want you to go there or because it is cheaper. And once you are in your college of choice, get out there and participate in everything you can. You will make a lot of friends and make your college experience a lot more meaningful. If you make a good group of friends while in college, your time there will be so much more enjoyable and those friends will stay in touch with you after you graduate. Go to learn, but also go to experience. Have a blast.

I would tell myself that it is just like High School, and Boy Scout Camp, except for the part that it is in the woods. You stay in dorms in single beds, Its like your bedroom, living room and kind of a kitchen in one. Dont slack, study now so you can a higher GPA and a good job. Apply for as much financial need as possible. Scholarships and grants are essentially free money, so take advantage of it. Your going to take out a loan, and then they will want you to pay it back with atleast 8% interest and if you get scholarships, you dont have to take out a large loan and be stuck paying it back for the next 25 years. Remeber "A Scout is Thrifty", dont spend on things you dont need. There is no need to go out everyweek to a restaurant and spend money when there is a fully functional and a good tasting food there. Dont let your social life take control, you are here for an education, not women and friends. Good Luck man, you can handle it!

If I knew then what I know now I would tell my high school self to be prepared. Save every chance you get; do not waste your hard earned money on useless stuff. Never stop signing up for scholorships, even the little ones. Never put anything off till the last minute, take your time on the big homework assignments and get a head start on them. Ask for help when you need it, there is no shame in it. Keep in touch with your close friends so that when you go back home during break you're not just hanging out around the house all day. Do not stress out, when you are feeling some stress just do something relaxing. Stay active, the freshman fifteen is not an urban legend. Call your parents, they miss and worry about you, mostly your mom. Don't call your siblings, they will either ask for something of yours or tell you they already took something of yours; you can save that fight for when you are home on break.

As a freshman in college, I have experienced many stuggles and accomplishments throughout my senior year. However, if i had the chance to go back in time and give myself advice about the future, I would not hesitate. First of all, I would pressure myself to start off the school year right. Get my homework done, study for tests and put partying aside. I have the rest of my college life to sleep and party with my friends. The next few months of my life will make a big difference. I would tell myself to begin the college application process immediatly and dont procrastinate! I would encourage myself to apply for scholarships and really learn about the schools Im applying to. I would tell myself to pick a school because its right for me, not because my boyfriend applied. Most immportantly, have fun and make new friends. College is where one meets the friends he or she will have for the rest of their life.