Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

There are over 160 different clubs and organizations on campus. There are clubs for different racial backgrounds, as well as religious, and even a large GLBT community. I would have to say there is something for everyone. If there isn't a club you like, you can create one easily with a member list and genuine interest. Students come from all kinds of economic backgrounds, and various parts of the world. Students tend to wear jeans and hoodies as it is cold here a large portion of the year. I have found that in general most of the students get along with each other easily and groups of friends often intermingle at parties or events on campus.

our differences give people something to make a fuss about whenever a slight issue arises, its annoying. most everybody would fit into some crowd at rit. students wear anything from polo shirt, to sweatpants, to gym clothes to class. different types of students don't interact. 4 tables- Geeks, drinkers, low-lifes, and emo's. most are geeks. idk about financial backgrounds. i know i think its a bunch of B/S that kids with family that work on rit get in if they're dumb and go for free. overly politically aware/active. all students talk about is how much they're going to make.

1. I haven't spent a lot of time with different cultures, but it is a prominent component of RIT. 2. Students who are big partiers, do not care about academics, and are not that intelligent. 3. Most students wear whatever they want. It ranges from upper-scale designer lines, to wal-mart, to culture related dress, to athletic apparel. 4. Students spend a lot of time interacting with one another. 6. There are a lot of international students at RIT, but many people are from the New York/East Coast area. 7. Most students appear to come from well-off/rich families.

RIT seems to be a fairly open-minded and inclusive campus. Being a lesbian, I have never been the target of gay bashing on campus. Compared to when I first came to RIT, the GLBT community has grown and expanded through RIT Gay Alliance (RITGA) as well as by recently obtaining a GLBTQ Center on campus. Although I feel RITGA has a lot of work to do in proving its worth and showing more GLBTQ support and pride, I have seen impovements and am hopeful that RITGA will become even stronger in the near future with the aid of the new center.

RIT's social scene is incredibly diverse - this is a college that combines engineering and computer majors, art and photography majors, business majors, science majors and liberal arts. You get all kinds of students, from the nerdy computer science major who plays World of Warcraft religiously, to the trendy graphic design major who spends all her time shopping downtown. Unfortunately, these stereotypes are well known and students don't really interact too much outside of their social circle.

RIT students come from diverse backgrounds from all over the country and the world, because this is a tech school most students are tech savy at some extent. The male female ratio is getting better especially as the school has been expanding and is becoming more diverse in it's offering's of different majors. The students that typically get involved in the school spirited sports and activities are usually more social and happier, the students that don't are typically more reclusive.

Look at my big picture. You got mostly dudes. The campus i'd say is split by academics and sports. For academics its the goofy unsocial kids who are associated with engineering or science something, and than a big art school so artsy fartsy hey man life is great or i'm emo don't talk to me type of people so a mix. and than a SMALL percentage of sport guys who end up being douches cause they know their the only normal ones, which is true, so the only normal girls slut it out for them

RIT is not a competetive school. It's great. Students help each other to succeed. It's a very casual place, jeans and shorts, even PJ pants are worn to class. Professors dont care, as long as you show up and are fully clothed. Most RIT students are from the Northeast. We have a large international population (like 91 countries I think). But we do represent all 50 states. I have a friend from Alaska and another one from Hawaii. I myself am from South Florida.

im in the gospel choir and a business group - someone who does not deal with the computer often, came from a small area, and dont like cold weather - urban gear as seen on tv, mtv or bet - yea - super nerds, group of foreign students, group of hard of hearing or deaf students, and a group of "normal" kids - middle and upper class - students are politically aware, especially the richer ones and they are strong on how they feel - all the damn time

Very diverse, especially with the deaf culture intertwining with the hearing culture. There's something for everyone too, and the more you get involved the more diversity you'll find, trust me. I started breakdancing and tae kwon do-I have so many more friends who are not white, I love it (not saying I'm a reverse racist or anything-I just like change).