Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

There are so many groups and activities available to students here at RIT. I believe the largest club on campus is the Anime club where people come together to watch and talk about Anime movies and series. Also, supporting our D-1 men's hockey team is a huge thing here. There are always large crowds at Ritter arena for hockey games. The students and fans get really into it and it is always a fun time when going to a hockey game. You can see many students hanging around in the tunnels under the dorms on weekend nights, getting a late night snack at one of the convenient stores on campus. There are parties almost every weekend either at the apartments on campus of the off campus apartments. The good thing about RIT is, you do not need to drink in order to have fun. My friends and I do not drink and we have a blast on the weekends by playing videogames, card games, or just talking and hanging out.

One thing about RIT is that the students tend to support their own activities and not always the ones that the school promotes. The hockey games sell out though, so do most of the concerts. This is still a small portion of the school though. There are lots of events, so each event draws a small crowd, rather than a large crowd. I met my closest friends either on the floor I lived in or the classes I was in. As an underclassmen I had more time to socialize on floor while as an upperclassmen my friends were the people I studied with since I spent all my time with them. A typical weekend for me is hanging out with my close friends, video games, small parties, movies, just hanging out. There is a great dollar theater nearby, the mall is okay, there is some great cultural activities in downtown Rochester too including the Jell-O museum.

So like I said the majority of my time, I spent in the 3d lab hanging out with other animators working. If i wasn't there, I was probably at the barn climbing and hanging out. I liked that RIT wasn't crazy about the Greek life, it's there, but not in your face. You could almost not notice it for most of the year. My biggest problem was lack of time. I would have to kinda schedule time to hang out or go drinking with friends. I squeezed it in, but it was tough some times. Dating is a bit tougher at RIT as a guy. The weren't as many women as men generally so it was kinda tough for me at least. Not to say I never got a date or anything. It just wasn't like the movies and you can go for a while with out having a girlfriend. Sucks, but hey it lets your spend more time on your thesis.

I'm involved with RIT Singers, Swing Dance Club, RIT Players, and the RIT Orchestra. There's quite a bit of theater to be involved with or see, if you're interested. There are also deaf theatre opportunities available. I went to a swing dance in downtown Rochester last night, and had a great time. The RIT Singers are wonderful - most of the guys in it are in a capella groups on their own, so the lower voices are very strong. The orchestra is small but looking to grow but I personally don't like the orchestral director much at all. Hockey is a huge deal on campus, probably because it's the only sport we're actually good at. In the honors dorm, everyone leaves their doors open. Everyone's very friendly and willing to hang out pretty much at any hour of the day or night.

There is something for everyone. Literally. A lot of kids complain but they have no one to blame but themselves. When I was in the dorms, it has about 50-50 open vs. closed door, which helped some, but it seems like the students are trending more and more towards keeping to themselves. To bad. If your a night owl though, the kids are up late VERY late. On campus, there's always something to do, and it really ranges. It could be a LAN party, it could be a normal party, it could be a speaker, an art exhibit...yea the list goes on. This week I went to a party, worked late on a project, attended an art opening on campus, hung with friends went out to eat, went to a movie, and went to a 2600 meeting (don't ask).

I WOULD SAY THAT THE MOST POPULAR FRATERNITY IS PHI KAPPA PSI. THE HOCKEY TEAM IS DEFINITELY THE MOST POPULAR ATHLETIC TEAM. AN OPEN DOOR POLICY IS ENCOURAGE IN THE DORMS. AT 2 AM YOU ARE PROBABLY AT THE LIBRARY FINISHING A PAPER. MUDTUG IS A CHARITABLE EVENT PUT UP BY PHI KAPPA PSI AND ZETA TAU ALPHA AND IN GETS ALL THE CAMPUS TOGETHER.PEOPLE START PARTYING ON THURSDAY AT RIT. IF YOU ARE VERY STEREOTYPICAL YOU CAN ALWAYS PLAY VIDEO GAME IF YOU DON'T LIKE DRINKING.

I used to leave my dorm door open when i lived there. Like i said before if you want to meet people you have to put yourself out there. I play IM hockey, softball, dodgeball, volleyball and soccer. I did rock climbing here. I go to lots of events on campus. If im up at 2 on a tuesday im either doing homework or getting drunk. Frats kinda suck here. Its a dude school anyways, RIT is a frat. I party off campus, hockey games, and movies.

There are a decent number of fraternities and sororities on campus. I am co-president of Lambda Pi Eta, the communication honors fraternity. In such honors fraternities, a certain GPA is required, along with community service. There is a multitude of other clubs that can satisfy anyone's interests. I have met many of my friends from my freshman year dorm neighbors and classes within my major, but also at events and parties.

People only really go to hockey games, but our new president is pushing for student spirit to grow, and has already made an impact at basketball games. Fraternities and Sororities are around, but they dont seem to do anything more than fundraise for charities on the quarter mile. I play sports, and have never had trouble getting a group of guys together to play soccer.

Social life can be as good as you want it to be. Floor friends are very common and a lot of floors are very tight "families"... if your more the partying type there are plenty of parties but you have to know people and be able to get off campus for the most part. But the overall social scene isnt anything to rave about but there is one